IGNORED

HI Rez Question

you may take into consideration: on the one hand some tunes are simply bad mastered and whoever offers them is trying to make more money without investigating in proper remastering - and on the other hand even when they are well mastered you will need good/the right equipment to enjoy any difference. For me, hires music sounds often more engaging; however, if for any reason you don't hear a difference - and some people simply don't - I would not invest any further money but maybe give it a try sometimes in the future again

you may take into consideration: on the one hand some tunes are simply bad mastered and whoever offers them is trying to make more money without investigating in proper remastering - and on the other hand even when they are well mastered you will need good/the right equipment to enjoy any difference. For me, hires music sounds often more engaging; however, if for any reason you don't hear a difference - and some people simply don't - I would not invest any further money but maybe give it a try sometimes in the future again

Thanks, maybe I;ll try some DSD tracks next

Your experience is exactly what I've experienced...although I my case I've been trying for several years now.

I must say that yes, in a few cases I've found amazingly fantastic hirez recordings... but to this day, the majority of hirez recordings I purchase are just OK, some are terrible.

As I suspect many did, I'd hoped for more... Clearly a poorly created recording is poor no matter what the delivery format is.

Yea, I knew this then and now, but hope springs...

Unfortunately today pretty much like it's always been, great recordings seem few and far between. ...at least in my opinion.

Your experience is exactly what I've experienced...although I my case I've been trying for several years now.

I must say that yes, in a few cases I've found amazingly fantastic hirez recordings... but to this day, the majority of hirez recordings I purchase are just OK, some are terrible.

As I suspect many did, I'd hoped for more... Clearly a poorly created recording is poor no matter what the delivery format is.

Unfortunately today pretty much like it's always been, great recordings seem few and far between. ...at least in my opinion.

Thanks for posting this, let's me know it isn't just my experience. My soundcard upsamples to 192/24 so things already sound good to my ears with even redbook files after upsampling.

I have many great recordings. Some of them are hi-res.

Upsampling 16-44 to 24bit won't make it sound like 24bit. Upsampling makes sense (I use 24-384 upsampling DAC myself) but this is not how things work. I've written already on CA why I love hi-res sound ('What's the best upgrade path' post if I remember correctly) and I won't repeat myself but I know that some people don't appreciate sound characteristics of hi-res audio and may even prefer harsh, thin sound of 16-44 'cause that's what they are used to :)

Upsampling 16-44 to 24bit won't make it sound like 24bit. Upsampling makes sense (I use 24-384 upsampling DAC myself) but this is not how things work. I've written already on CA why I love hi-res sound ('What's the best upgrade path' post if I remember correctly) and I won't repeat myself but I know that some people don't appreciate sound characteristics of hi-res audio and may even prefer harsh, thin sound of 16-44 'cause that's what they are used to :)

This is very helpful, can you send a link of something I can buy via download to try?

This is very helpful, can you send a link of something I can buy via download to try?

Here are two great sources:

Blue Coast Records | Exceptional Acoustic Recordings

Sound Liaison Music Shop

I also like Chesky's Binaural recordings a lot:

Binaural+ | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I have many great recordings. Some of them are hi-res.

+1

The recording/remastering of the source material is much more important than the resolution in my experience.

An amazing sounding stuff, you can check out one of their samplers for instance

Stockfisch-Records: Gitarrenmusik + Pauler Acoustics: Masteringstudio

I'm also a big fan of Analogue Productions remasters (but these are mainly SACDs and DSD files - make sure your software plays them before ordering)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=Analogue+Productions/

Anything from Chesky is usually a safe bet if you like style of music. Doesn't have to be binaural. Their recordings of Christy Baron and Marta Gomez are among my favourites.

Great choices!

I also like the albums that Clark Terry, Jimmy Cobb, Rebecca Pidgeon, and Valerie Joyce did for Chesky. Not much of a fan of David Chesky's own music though.

An amazing sounding stuff, you can check out one of their samplers for instance

Stockfisch-Records: Gitarrenmusik + Pauler Acoustics: Masteringstudio

I'm also a big fan of Analogue Productions remasters (but these are mainly SACDs and DSD files - make sure your software plays them before ordering)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=Analogue+Productions/

I am going to check out this week-end, thanks very much for posting.

Thanks, maybe I'll try some DSD tracks next

You can find a number of Free DSD Music Files to try out - up to DSD 256 Multichannel in some cases - at these web sites:

NativeDSD Music

https://members.nativedsd.com/

https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/mendelssohn-session

DSD File - Opus 3 Records

DSD File | Free DSD Download

Blue Coast Music

Free Downloads | Blue Coast Music Group

You can find a number of Free DSD Music Files to try out - up to DSD 256 Multichannel in some cases - at these web sites:

NativeDSD Music

https://members.nativedsd.com/

https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/mendelssohn-session

DSD File - Opus 3 Records

DSD File | Free DSD Download

Blue Coast Music

Free Downloads | Blue Coast Music Group

Great, I'll post feedback as soon as I check them out, thanks

I often check intended purchases against the database at the following link. Particularly in relation to lossless and hi res recordings, the information here can help you sort out the good from the bad.

Depending on what you are into, I find that these classical music sites (and others) are all good; Monteverdi, Hyperion, Presto Classical, Pentatone, Deutsche Grammophon, Linn, Reference Recordings, HIGHRESAUDIO, Analogue Productions, Harmonia Mundi etc.

i don't want to get into any fights about it but, personally, I find that because their recording and mastering techniques are just so impeccable, CD recordings from Linn, Pentatone, Harmonia Mundi are indistinguishable from their downloadable hi res versions.

Here's the link to the database where you can check the dynamic range of various albums. I think that dynamic range is only one criterion among others - including, of course, ones own ears.

<http://dr.loudness-war.info/>

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

Albums at Native DSD recorded in DSD tend to be smallish ensembles recorded live.

The sound is much better than other material upsampled to DSD, but that is mostly do to the recording quality, and not the format. If you convert them with HQP to PCM, they still sound fantastic.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)