IGNORED

Network setup

mikelbsd

Hi folks

A while back I started to assemble a CA system. The effort got put on the back burner but I want to move forward and I have some questions. First let me tell you what I have and where it is.

In a bedroom/office I have a Windows 10 desktop, a Synology NAS with 3 4tb Hitachi NAS drives, a Nimbie USB 3.0 batch ripper, Comcast cable modem, and an Asus ac router. I have downloaded dBoweramplifier to the PC. The system is in the great room. Currently it consists of a, hopefuly soon to be gone CD player, a Lampizator Big 7 DAC with VC, a soon to be installed Sanders Magtech amp, and Andra II speakers.

I want to get a microRendu bridge. Is there a device I can put in my GR so I can go wireless from my router to it and then Ethernet to the mR?

I was originally planning to go with an Aries and put the recommended minimserver on the NAS. Is this still the right approach or is there another ap better? What other aps are recomended and which device should they be on? I would like to use an iPad to query music files.

Am I missing anything?

Mike

Hi folks

A while back I started to assemble a CA system. The effort got put on the back burner but I want to move forward and I have some questions. First let me tell you what I have and where it is.

In a bedroom/office I have a Windows 10 desktop, a Synology NAS with 3 4tb Hitachi NAS drives, a Nimbie USB 3.0 batch ripper, Comcast cable modem, and an Asus ac router. I have downloaded dBoweramplifier to the PC. The system is in the great room. Currently it consists of a, hopefuly soon to be gone CD player, a Lampizator Big 7 DAC with VC, a soon to be installed Sanders Magtech amp, and Andra II speakers.

I want to get a microRendu bridge. Is there a device I can put in my GR so I can go wireless from my router to it and then Ethernet to the mR?

I was originally planning to go with an Aries and put the recommended minimserver on the NAS. Is this still the right approach or is there another ap better? What other aps are recomended and which device should they be on? I would like to use an iPad to query music files.

Am I missing anything?

Mike

The device you're after is called a wi-fi bridge. Any (not just Apple) of the major manufacturers (ASUS, Belkin, TP-Link, D-Link, etc.) offers these. You can even convert an existing router to become a bridge (your ASUS perhaps?). It is all about which device you define to be the gateway and whether to use DHCP or not. Google is your friend or we can discuss it separately in this trhead.

You also have some alternatives to it: MOCA and Homeplug/Powerline aka internet over wire. The first uses your COAX cable (i.e. the cable for your TV), the latter uses your electricity grid. Both will offer higher bandwidths than wi-fi will. Well known brands are TP-Link and Devolo.

A few other things to consider: don't just throw out the CD Player. You can still use it as a tranport-only for the CDs you have and let your DAC do the....DAC-ing :-) Also, with regards to DBPowerAmp, also download PerfectTunes. It can check your files to see whether they are not corrupted and have indeed been ripped BitPerfect. Why I mention that? Well, I had mine with some issues. The way DBPowerAmp works is as follows: rip, check, apply DSP (Digital Sound Processing). And with some of the DSP stuff you affect the tracks themselves (such as deleting silent parts or silent tracks). I didn't find out what I had done until I ran PerfectTunes. It also helped when I had to restore from backup to validate the files are good.

Have you decided on your file storage format (should really be FLAC because it is lossless and has the best metadata tagging system by far)? And what will be your playback format (storage and playback needn't be the same: some mediaservers can resample FLAC, MP3, AAC, etc. on the fly to WAV or L16 or L24)?

What will your mediaserver be? MPD from mRendu? Minimserver or some other UPnP software (Agent, JRiver, Plex, Synology DLNA server, SqueezeLite, etc.)? Do you want internet radio or not? In terms of playback quality there is probably not much difference. But how you experience your music is determined a lot by how easy you can find it. So, check out functionality in sorting and ranking, resampling to different formats (can it do DOP? can it do pure DSD? can it resample to WAV? etc.). Do you want it to do music only or also other media (like photos, movies, etc.), in which case Minimserver and MPD would be out?

What control point will you want to use? There are only a few that are muti-platform (as in Android and iOS) and they won't work with every possible type of MediaServer. Lumin and Linn Kazoo work great with UPnP servers, but for MPD you need and MPD client. And then there is Roon, which opens other possibilities.

So, as to your question on whether you missed something: probably :-)

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948