IGNORED

Audophonics / Raspberry Pi Network Player - WOW and Question

After watching Hans Beekhuyzen's review of the Audiophonics Sabre DAC for Raspberry Pi, I ended up buying one and building a system (Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, PiCorePlayer fed by Roon, and powered by an iFi iPower power supply). This thing sounds FANTASTIC. I am VERY impressed.

Question for the community from this noob - are there boards out there that have SPDIF / Optical inputs on one end that can be soldered to the Audiophonics DAC board, creating a standalone DAC? Will it sound as good as it does as a streamer, connected to the RasPi?

My guess is that the I2S connection, short signal path in the raspberry pi, and low noise power supply play an outsized role in making this particular set up sound great, but I'd love to pick everyone's brain's here to see if what I suggested is possible / feasible.

Thanks!

After watching Hans Beekhuyzen's review of the Audiophonics Sabre DAC for Raspberry Pi, I ended up buying one and building a system (Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, PiCorePlayer fed by Roon, and powered by an iFi iPower power supply). This thing sounds FANTASTIC. I am VERY impressed.

Question for the community from this noob - are there boards out there that have SPDIF / Optical inputs on one end that can be soldered to the Audiophonics DAC board, creating a standalone DAC? Will it sound as good as it does as a streamer, connected to the RasPi?

My guess is that the I2S connection, short signal path in the raspberry pi, and low noise power supply play an outsized role in making this particular set up sound great, but I'd love to pick everyone's brain's here to see if what I suggested is possible / feasible.

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for posting, is there a link with instructions on how to do the build? Thanks

Check out Hans' videos on the HifiBerry mods... Here's his review of the auidoophics is here... https://youtu.be/znJ67VzzlSY... All I did was buy raspi 3 model B, an open stackable case, an iFi iPower (9 volts I think? Traveling and am drinking so forget the specification), downloaded picoreplayer, put everything together and plugged everything in, set up raspi while connected to ethernet, set up WiFi in picoreplayer settings, and I was odd to the races.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Double check re the power, usually raspberry gets 5V input.

Re the software, in addition to PiCorePlayer you might want to try other options: MoodeAudio (that I would recommend for its simplicity and ussbility) or Rune or Volumio.

Sorry - was clearly drunk in that last post! So, the Audiophonics DAC is completely isolated from the RasPi power supply. As such, it has its own power header that takes 7-9v DC. So, in addition to having a standard 5v power supply to get the RasPi running, I also have the low noise iFi iPower 9v supplying the DAC.

I'll be sure to check out those other players. I still can't get over how good this DAC / set up sounds.