IGNORED

Memorable Music Movies.

sphinxsix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
8 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

BTW there are video fragments of the live version of 'A Love Supreme' in this documentary. Does someone know if the  whole concert has been issued as DVD/BluRay (I'm pretty sure it hasn't but I'd love to be wrong).?

I've never seen a video version but there is an audio-only Blu-Ray edition what includes the live version:

https://www.musicdirect.com/optical-disc/john-coltrane-a-love-supreme-deluxe-edition-blu-ray-pure-audio-disc

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally Aretha Franklin's concert at the New Bethel Baptist Church in Watts, Los Angeles from January 1972 is also available in video version. Originally directed by Sidney Pollack, the project was shelved by Warner Bros. Pollack never gave up on it, but constantly had other commitments. In 2007, dying of cancer, the director finally handed the documentary project over to producer and music enthusiast Alan Elliott. A must-see! 

On 1/17/2017 at 3:01 PM, sphinxsix said:

Slightly off topic (again). I'm not a big fan of soundtrack albums but I think some may be interested in this new compilation (HDTracks 24-96)

Hans Zimmer - The Classics | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Hans Zimmerman leaves me cold. I find his music mostly boring. It’s workmanlike, yes, and does it’s job in context, but as stand alone music, it can’t, in my opinion, hold a candle to Rozsa, Alfred Newman, Dimitri Tiomkin, Elmer Bernstein, Max Steiner, Jerry Goldsmith, and yes, even John Williams, et al!

George

On 2/4/2018 at 6:23 AM, bobbmd said:

any movie with music by dmitri tomkin(sic) especially the opening sequences of The Alamo-Houston's arrival Davey Crockett's arrival-Houston's arrival and the homage to John Ford with the mud the horse's etc

of course The Last Waltz and John Williams Star Wars

Wow! I thought that I was the only person in the world who reveres the arrival of Houston (Richard Boone) at the beginning of the film. It is great music but, unfortunately, it’s not on the soundtrack recording release. That dissapointing album hardly has Tiomkin’s take on the deGuella!

George

@gmgraves I bought and still have the original sound track that I bought at Sam Goody’s on Times Square(remember that store??) I didn’t realize Houston Arrives isn’t  there but will double check anyway I have a pristine dvd of the the film and really like that arrival it is so so John Ford isn’t it?? Happy Holidays and New Year.

I saw that movie in Todd-io format a dozen times with intermission and all and still have the program! That vinyl album is so heavy and thick I wander how many grams it is (like my vinyl of West Side Story) but alas I don’t have a turntable anymore!—may spring for that Schiit turntable though.If you are interested my CFO allowed me to buy my ‘last rodeo’/system— a Schiit Yggdrasil GS and Ragnarok 2(just the amp) and a pair of Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors-WOW-that amp is one Schiitload of a headphone amp.

Thanks for that reply no one else answered it!!

3 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@gmgraves I bought and still have the original sound track that I bought at Sam Goody’s on Times Square(remember that store??) I didn’t realize Houston Arrives isn’t  there but will double check anyway I have a pristine dvd of the the film and really like that arrival it is so so John Ford isn’t it?? Happy Holidays and New Year.

I saw that movie in Todd-io format a dozen times with intermission and all and still have the program! That vinyl album is so heavy and thick I wander how many grams it is (like my vinyl of West Side Story) but alas I don’t have a turntable anymore!—may spring for that Schiit turntable though.If you are interested my CFO allowed me to buy my ‘last rodeo’/system— a Schiit Yggdrasil GS and Ragnarok 2(just the amp) and a pair of Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors-WOW-that amp is one Schiitload of a headphone amp.

Thanks for that reply no one else answered it!!

Sam Goody’s? Indeed I do! It was a Mecca for record buyers in NYC when I was a teen.

George

Yesterday I went to see the latest Star Wars film.

I am absolutely convinced that it wouldn't have been half as dramatic and intense if the soundtrack were not orchestral music played on acoustic instruments.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

There are many great soundtracks and scores cited in the thread. Here are three of my favorites. 

#1: Interstellar - Hans Zimmer. 

I read that some here are not a fan and I totally understand. As a rule there are composers who I tend to like better but the score for Interstellar hit it out of the park. I just simply love it and it speaks to me on many levels. The pipe organ used in the score is located at Temple Church in London and was played masterfully by resident organist Roger Sayer. The dynamics and emotion obtained make the music it's own character. I was able to find a wonderful version of this album know as the Illuminated Star Projection Box that blinks a coded message which is an integral part of the film. Below is a good video about the recording of the organ music.

#2: Solaris - Cliff Martinez

This is another wonderfully emotional soundtrack and in some ways has similar impact as that of the music of The Fountain by Clint Mansell. Cliff also did the soundtrack to Drive which has a few mentions in the thread. This a scene from early in the film. His use of steal drums and a very cool instrument called the Cristal Baschet makes for cool late night listening sessions.

#3: Until the end of the World - Multiple Artists

This album has both a score and songs that director Wim Wenders asked the artists to project themselves from 1991 to 1999 when the movie takes place. Simply love this soundtrack. Not a band song or performance on it. It had mostly been available only on CD and had a limited incomplete vinyl run in Europe. Recently the film was released by The Criterion Collection as the full uncut almost 5 hour version along with a complete vinyl edition for the 1st time. Worth checking out.

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables