IGNORED

Memorable Music Movies.

sphinxsix

Is there a bar graph showing how long it takes a thread about music to be derailed? Why are we surprised when The Usual suspects dominate the conversation? Geeks were ever thus.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The title of this thread is "Memorable Music Movies" so doesn't that make it a thread about movies, not music?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Is there a bar graph showing how long it takes a thread about music to be derailed? Why are we surprised when The Usual suspects dominate the conversation? Geeks were ever thus.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I do not think about it as of 'derailing'. For me it's expanding. The universe is expanding - if we do not it means that in fact we are ..contracting.. :) Well, yes - the expanding process sometimes happens through unexpected 'channels'. PK Dick is my favourite sci-fi writer and 'Blade Runner' - IMO definitely one of the most important movies of the genre. So this 'channel' is meaningful for me as it is for some other people here. The movie was mentioned because of the amazing soundtrack.

You had a chance to express your thoughts on the thread's subject and put it 'back on the track' (I understand that's what you wanted) - instead you've written a purely negative comment that in fact doesn't bring anything valuable but is just expressing your frustration. You want to change the direction of the thread development - contribute to it. Simple as that.

Tarantino and Lynch should get a lifetime achievment Oscar (maybe even Nobel:)) for the way they use music in their movies!

Two of my favourite directors are also amazing at mixing music and cinema :

Kar-Wai Wong

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0939182

Tran Anh Hung

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0870841

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Two of my favourite directors are also amazing at mixing music and cinema :

Kar-Wai Wong

+1

Does music accompanying a love scene (or 2 simultaneous love scenes as in this case) get better than this.?

(John Coltrane's 'Tunji' in Spike Lee's 'Mo' Better Blues')

A more recent Marvel Comic movie that had great music which was actually a big part of the plot line was Guardians of the Galaxy. Awesome mixes 1 & 2... Bowie, The Jackson 5, The Raspberries, Elvin Bishop, Redbone, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell....etc... Some of the best pop/rock efforts from the 70s.

Also really liked Grosse Point Blank with John Cusack and Dan Akroyd. The Clash, Bowie & Queen, Pete Townshend, Johnny Nash, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs and others.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Goodfellas - "Layla (piano exit)"

Vanilla Sky - "Can We Still Be Friends" scene is perfect

The Commitments - "Try a Little Tenderness" the buildup was chill-inducing

Oh, and this little number from Orange Is The New Black was quite superb (if you're a fan of folk):

For me music comes first but I'm also a movie fan. [...] There are so many great music movies and it's really difficult to choose one or two as the absolutely best so I'll start with titles that simply first come to mind:

Milos Forman's 'Amadeus' surely needs no introduction:

Poinient given the starting point for this thread... Sir Neville Marriner, the conductor of the Amadeus soundtrack, passed away in his sleep last night.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Poinient given the starting point for this thread... Sir Neville Marriner, the conductor of the Amadeus soundtrack, passed away in his sleep last night.

...a great conductor. Thanks for mentioning this.

I would like to mention composer Nino Rota, who wrote 171 film scores including Godfather 1&2, many Fellini Films, Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet, a couple of Visconti films, etc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_scores_by_Nino_Rota

I also like his orchestral music.

• 3 weeks later...
A handful of others I enjoy...

Cinema Paradiso

Klute

Man on Fire

Sicario

Sneakers

Streets of Fire

Jungle Book

Wolfen

Manhunter

Juno

Garden State

Trainspotting

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Stand by Me

Drive

Watchmen

Ok a few more than a handful

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

And a handful that *I* enjoy...

Captain From Castile - Alfred Newman

The Four Feathers - Miklos Rozsa

Raise the Titanic - John Barry

Battle of Britain - Ron Goodwin

The Blue Max - Jerry Goldsmith

***Ben–Hur*** (1959) - Miklos Rozsa (The best!!!)

The Ten Commandments - Elmer Bernstein

Shane - Victor Young

The Magnificent 7 (1960) - Elmer Bernstein

Eye of the Needle - Miklos Rozsa

E.T - John Williams

To Kill A Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

Psycho - Bernard Herrmann

The Jungle Book (1940) - Miklos Rozsa

Kings Row - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

George