IGNORED

Memorable Music Movies.

sphinxsix

I prefer scores that aren't obvious,w where the music feels like a 'layer' of film, rather than punctuation.

Miyazaki's Spirited Away or Amelie with Yann Thiersen's clever score. The latter feels a great deal like a silent movie, in some scenes.

Films like Koyaanisqatsi feel backwards to me, where the score drives the images.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I prefer scores that aren't obvious,w where the music feels like a 'layer' of film, rather than punctuation.

Miyazaki's Spirited Away or Amelie with Yann Thiersen's clever score. The latter feels a great deal like a silent movie, in some scenes.

Films like Koyaanisqatsi feel backwards to me, where the score drives the images.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I must admit that Thiersen's soundtrack is an essential element to the feel of the movie. When you here the music, you immediately get immersed into Jean Pierre Jeunet's very particular esthetic.

Documentary but is a great watch/listen: The Blues | PBS

Soundtracks to True Detective, Season 1 are pretty good

Once soundtrack (Glen Hansard)

Chocolate soundtrack

Gene Generation soundtrack (Electronica/psychedelic/weird...I tracked down the cd on Amazon)

The Song Remains The Same

How The West Was Won (Royal Albert Hall show stands out for me)

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

And the recent Amazon series "Mozart in the jungle" on a symphony orchestra's struggles in the 21st century is entertaining.

Speaking of Mozart in the jungle and Amazon, Fitzcarraldo is a completely amazing movie (both the film and the story of its making), but ironically I really don't remember either a distinctive soundtrack or music playing a central role in any scene in the film, though the entire movie is about the lead character's quest to build an opera house on the Amazon.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Couldn't agree more about the Barry Lyndon soundtrack. Just superbly done and, indeed, inseparable from the movie. I often listen to it while reading great books, for which it provides an unforgettable background.

JC

Great and unavailable. Like so many of the best soundtracks, hidden for reasons unknown. Some favorites: The Conversation, The Grey Fox, Flight of the Condor, Henry V (Branagh/ Donnelly/Rattle), To Live and Die in LA, The Killing Fields (Mike Oldfield), The Year of Living Dangerously. And there were countless ripoffs of Kubrick's chosen music. Crimson Tide reused Schubert's Piano Trio in E (Op 100), lifted right from Barry Lyndon...Kubrick had personally heard every piece of music written from 1750-1800 and recorded, finding nothing satisfactory, then heard the perfect Schubert!

As stated, anything by Morricone, M. Jarre, Lalo Schiffrin, Goldsmith. Morricone's countless westerns and The Untouchables were untouchable.

One more outrage: Leonard Cohen's best performance, his 1988 concert at Austin City Limits, is to die for. It is easy to watch...only if you're a thief! Available only as an illegal torrent, while honest fans are denied that treasure.

Angelo Badalamenti has done some good scores for David Lynch and others.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Speaking of Mozart in the jungle and Amazon, Fitzcarraldo is a completely amazing movie (both the film and the story of its making), but ironically I really don't remember either a distinctive soundtrack or music playing a central role in any scene in the film, though the entire movie is about the lead character's quest to build an opera house on the Amazon.
If my memory serves me well, there are pieces of opera music in the movie, from Verdi and Bellini among others. Yes, the story of making this movie is mind boggling, Werner Herzog created a beautiful parable about out of this world music genre, as opera is, in modern world.

I love the soundtrack to Blade Runner, probably because I love everything about the movie.

I agree in 200%! I watched the Director's Cut (this version for the first time) a couple of months ago. It's one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. Just as Philip K. Dick was one of the most visionary writers of the genre IMO.

Tarantino and Lynch should get a lifetime achievment Oscar (maybe even Nobel:)) for the way they use music in their movies!

Blade Runner is a good film, but it's far short of the book. That goes for most PKD stories.

I have little doubt. The bad thing is that despite being a lifelong science fiction fan I haven't gotten around to reading any of his novels. The good thing is I have all of them left to read.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What's the reason.? I think I've never met a sci-fi fan who hasn't read a single PKD book or story..

I believe I've read several of his stories, just not any of the novels. I just never seemed to get around to it - there was always another novel or non-fiction book I was wanting to read first.

Heck, Thomas Pynchon is my favorite author and I still have to get around to reading "Against the Day" years after buying it.

Guess it's similar to the thread I started asking how much of your music collection you actually get around to listening to very often. I'm always reading something, but there are so many books I'm interested in it just takes forever to get around to all of them.

His short stories are also very good, and several have been made into movies. Of the novels, I really like Ubik and The Man in the High Castle.

Probably my favorite author of fiction, not just science fiction. I've read nearly all of his novels and short stories.

UBIK is fantastic. I own a first edition, and Dick's own screenplay for it. The movie rights have been bandied about Hollywood for years, but no one has had the nerve to pull it off. The closest thing was The Fifth Element, by Luc Besson, which was a homage, not a literal adaptation of the story.

I also recommend The Simulacra, and Dr. Bloodmoney, but UBIK is his masterpiece, IMO.

High Fidelity with John Cussack and a young Jack Black as the sales assitant who will only sell vintage records to cool people. The movie for music lovers about music lovers.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Some movies have episodes combined with music which embedded in my memory very much. Lionel Hampton's vibraphone sounds in black and white snowy New York as a back drop in first moments of Bertolucci's 'The Sheltering Sky', or John Martyn's 'You Don't Know What Love Is' at the very end of 'The Talented Mr.Ripley'.

Ruichi Sakamoto provided beautiful music for some Bertolucci movies, as 'The Sheltering Sky', 'Little Buddha' and 'The Last Emperor'.

I believe 'Blade Runner' was the best of them (based on PKD books).

Blade runner is not really faithful to the book but an excellent film (in the Final Cut).

I thought Linklater made a really good stab at A Scanner Darkly (which is one of my favourite books by any author).

Sent via Tapatalk

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

Blade runner is not really faithful to the book but an excellent film (in the Final Cut).

I thought Linklater made a really good stab at A Scanner Darkly (which is one of my favourite books by any author).

Sent via Tapatalk

Sorry, what I watched recently was 'Blade Runner' Final Cut not the Director's one.

BTW obviously the book has its advantages over the movie but there is one element it definitely misses - Rutger Hauer.! :)

Sorry, what I watched recently was 'Blade Runner' Final Cut not the Director's one.

BTW obviously the book has its advantages over the movie but there is one element it definitely misses - Rutger Hauer.! :)

So is the "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" speech in the book?

I don't recall if this was already mentioned, but I've always loved the soundtrack to Wim Wenders' "Until the End of the World."