IGNORED

Metric Halo LIO 8 Long Term feedback

Looking for Metric Halo LIO 8 Long Term feedback

I have to say right off that the service and support from Jon at Metric Halo has been amazing. Really top class.

However, I did have a Di board issue a few days out of the box. That was quickly taken care of by Metric Halo. They sent the part and it was an easy replacement.

About late 2014 the SMPC external power supply failed due to two capacitors failing.

I was able to fix the power supply myself. This issue is not uncommon from my internet research for the solution which was found on gearslutz forum thankfully.

Now my analog board is starting to have some bad caps. Indicated by noise showing on the analog input meters.

As far as I can tell, this does not affect the SQ of the outputs from the digital input>analog out.

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

Your unit seems to have had more issues than normal. These are normally rock solid. Designed for pro use, lots of hours a week.

How old is the unit? I was thinking these are 6 years old or so.

The switch mode power supply failing is not surprising. The current can be fairly high over a short time period.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Got the LIO 8 Dec 12th 2011 so it's not quite had it's 5th birthday.

The analog board cost was quoted at $400 + shipping. Some caps were suspected as "drying" out. The new board is to have ceramic capacitors so would last much longer.

I am wondering if I can replace the caps myself...like I did with the power supply...

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

Those capacitors must be surface mount electrolytics. You can unsolder the two tabs to remove.

The are lower impedance caps available that high value than ceramics. Also look at the rated voltage of the original caps. You may want to go to the next voltage range to extend life.

Electrolytics should not dry out in five years. There are vintage units out there functioning fine that are 50 years old.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.