IGNORED

what recording software available on Mac to capture firewire audio

ted_b

I am simply trying to confirm that certain digital outputs from players like Oppo, etc can actually ouput up to 24/192 (as hinted by Oppo, although its not "spec") and not, instead, have their signal truncated to 16 bits (as i was told earlier by Oppo). I'm not talking bluRay audio, I'm talking PCM of course. BlURay audio is another story (HDMi de-embedders, etc).

I have a Weiss DAC2 connected via firewire to my Macbook (internal SSD,etc). I normally run iTunes/Amarra. However, recently there has been some discussion about how players like the Oppo 83 (and its upgraded SE version) can output 24/192 PCM via its SPDIF outs (into my Weiss). Why would I want to listen via that avenue? It's a long story, but I'll cut to the chase. Daniel Weiss says I could use the same firewire connection BACK to my Mac and capture that digital signal (record it) in order to analyze whether it is 16 bit or 24 bit, etc. Anybody know an easy freeware capture/recording app i could use? Thanks

Ted

Wave Editor's little brother who does batch upsampling with same Izotope. I didn't understand that these products could record streams from the firewire (hell i didn't even realize that fw TO Weiss is also an output FROM Weiss.). I'll have to do some homework. And I don't need a good recording device, just something that will confirm the signal is 24 bit. It's a throw away project really. Thx

to see my Wiess firewire input (?) as a valid recording input ,although don;t know why it should; I have spdif chosen on the Weiss (to process he incoming spdif from the DVD player outs) and therefore why would the Weiss even show up on anything? It only lists internal mic or internal device. I'm not having fun. Oh well.....this is over my head.

The Weiss should be listed as a firewire device in Audio Midi Setup. If it has input channels, it will tell you there. It should show up/ is necessary because the computer sees and interacts with it through firewire and via firewire to its spdif input.

BTW ... Audacity only does up to 24/96 - certainly was limited (if it actually IS a limit) that way last time I looked anyway.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Ted ... can I suggest an email to Daniel Weiss would confirm if this is actually possible (using DAC2 as digital input via FireWire) ... I though it was something that the DAC2 did, but just looking through the instructions I can't see any reference to using it as a SPDIF-->FireWire input device.

Daniel is very good at answering questions promptly in my (albeit limited) experience. I think the answer is something many people would find useful too.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Since my latest frustration I sent him a more specific ("help, tell me exactly what i need to do to keep firewire connection live while I choose SPDIF) and he sent this:

"Hello Ted

You select Firewire on the DAC2 frontpanel and then in the Weiss Firewire control panel you select the SPDIF (RCA) input as the clock source. Then it should work.

Regards,

Daniel"

I'll give it a try. He's been great at answering my questions, etc.

I almost missed this.

Yes, I use Wave Editor for editing audio files, but I'm not even an intermediate yet in doing so. I tend to record more than edit. ;)

There are other programs that are as useful, such as Bias Peak, but Wave Editor has the very well regarded 64-bit iZotope SRC and dithering programs.

I purchased Plogue Bidule prior to Wave Editor dropping its price from $250 to $79. Bidule is easier to learn, partly due to it's visual connect-the-dots interface, and partly due to having less functionality. The reason I bought Bidule was to use Daniel Courville's Ambisonics-related plug-ins (B2X) for processing the 4 channel audio tracks capture by the Zoom H2. Wave Editor can also process these, in fact, Audio Hijack Pro probably could as well.

There are lots of free audio editing programs.

clay

Art(?),

Wave Editor is designed for audio file editing. I've never tried using it to record, and don't know if it's possible, although I'd be a bit surprised if it couldn't handle an incoming stream.

It's mention in this thread was in relation to Jason's question, not the OP.

I use portable hardware devices for recording mostly - i.e. no computers, and therefore no computer software, required. When I do use a computer, I use the fabulous MIO software that comes with Metric Halo devices, as does Barry Diament.

cheers,

clay

According to the Technical Specifications page for Wave Editor it has a Recorder "Panel and Interface". I assume thats what you need.

Eloise

Eloise

---