IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 launch thread!

Just great! Because of your order filling efficiency... now I have an audiophile delivery on my wife’s birthday! I wasn’t planning on giving any presents this year and I’m getting deliveries! This is a disaster! I thought you cared about your customers!

LOL! Just take her to a nice dinner--and don't talk about audio! She'll love you for it. :)

....and don't talk about audio!

No audio discussion! Hear comes the silence... and the blackness is uncanny! :)

Thanks for created such great products... my feedback will be delayed 1 day... priorities!

Sparky SBC/USBridge (HDPlex) –> Uptone ISO Regen(Uptone LPS-1) -> Singxer SU-1(Uptone LPS-1)/Holo Audio Spring –> Cary Audio SLP-05 –> Electrocompaniet AW180 Mono Blocks –> Martin Logan Summit X

3-days ahead of schedule. My assistant is really earning her bonus! ;)

Because of the shear volume, the paperwork, and a glitch in my ShipStation software, only USA-bound units are going out today. I am now going back and forth with their support department (great shipping system, but zero telephone support and that slows down the back and forth to issue resolution).

Should begin getting all the internationals out tomorrow.

Hope you first recipients enjoy it. Will be interesting to see what questions and comments arise.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

Possibly my last post in this particular thread, as I'll move on to the listening impressions shortly.

Noontime delivery today in NY, a very efficient 2 day journey coast to coast by the USPS.

Thanks again to Alex and all involved at UpTone Audio, a very pleasant buying experience.

Un-boxed it at work, couldn't wait even though I've got nothing to connect it to here!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Noontime delivery today in NY, a very efficient 2 day journey coast to coast by the USPS.

Yes, our postal service continues to amaze me. Some people complain about it (and they of course have financial issues), but to get an insured package coast to coast (and from my very rural location as the origin) in two days for just $8?! And the bubble-padded poly envelope was free.

Even most overseas countries' postal systems are pretty good (with a few exceptions, Brazil, cough...). So I think postal workers of the world deserve our respect and kindness! :)

Un-boxed it at work, couldn't wait even though I've got nothing to connect it to here!

Well you can plug it in and time the 75 second startup/diagnostic routine until its LED turns green. ;)

Gee, can anyone tell I'm taking it a bit easy today? Just e-mail, bills, some Ethernet wiring in the new space (we move in this next week!). The calm after the storm--and before the next one!

Congratulations Alex, John and team on a highly anticipated and well run product launch with exemplary customer care.

My order no. is #4212 (international). When is that likely to ship Alex?

Sorry, meant to answer that earlier.

We should be right on track to ship the next 100 units (orders #4177-#4266) by October 28th--just as promised on the web site at time of order and in the automatic order acknowledgement e-mail.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

--Alex C.

Even most overseas countries' postal systems are pretty good (with a few exceptions, Brazil, cough...). So I think postal workers of the world deserve our respect and kindness! :)

postal workers have all my respect and gratitude: issue (here at least) is unpredictable customs clearance time :mad:

mine, though, looks to be stuck in Sacramento threat.gif

LOL

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

We should be right on track to ship the next 100 units (orders #4177-#4266) by October 28th--just as promised on the web site at time of order and in the automatic order acknowledgement e-mail.

Regards,

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex. I really should read my emails more thoroughly...:). Thanks for your patience too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

No audio discussion! Hear comes the silence... and the blackness is uncanny! :)

Thanks for created such great products... my feedback will be delayed 1 day... priorities!

Wow...that really says it...complete silence and a level of transparency I don't think I've ever heard before. LPS-1 running a uRendu that is currently driving a IFI micro iDSD at DSD256. Thought I'd give the IFI the first shot given it only gets power from the uRendu (headed to my Mytek Brooklyn powered off of a linear power supply next). I just finished listening to Hotel California from the live Hell Freezes Over live album...this is an incredible recording for...well everything...and it sounds tremendous with the LPS. Then moved to Patricia Barber...Let It Rain from Companion...a 24/176 rip I made from vinyl. I've heard this song live many times at the Green Mill...and now I've heard it live in my living room.

Wow...well done guys...if only I could power every component in my computer audio chain this way!

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

Alex is petting the cat in his lap right now planning on how to take over the power supply world.

Thanks, but while I enjoy our cats, petting them causes way too much static to be around power supplies. ;)

Actually, the only plotting I am doing now is figuring out how many more LPS-1s to build through the first of the year--and trying to advance order a reasonable but not excessive number of the hard to get, long lead time parts. Turns out that the FPGA, the logic opto-isolators, and a couple of other esoteric items are not well stocked at the distributors. After we bought the hundreds to a few thousand (in the case of the 10-per unit isolators) they had, there is now a several month lead time on a few items. Hopefully we will be able to keep everything flowing smoothly.

[Don't worry though, all parts are in for both the end-of-October promised 100 units AND the following batch of 250--with shipments beginning by November 18th. That is the group that anyone who ordered after the second day of launch landed in. And that is the group we are currently selling in. (Though I do now need to check the sales numbers; might have to adjust the date for next new orders as I don't think we can program/test/assemble/pack/ship 250 units in the first two weeks of November. That's a LOT for our small staff!)]

Woohoo! My order arrived tonight, and just in time for my birthday! Thanks a million, Alex!

Can't wait to hook the LPS-1 up to my microRendu for a listen.

And speaking about cats, now I know why sometimes stroking my cat hurts. I'm getting zapped by the static! Note to self: keep the cat out of my work room whenever I do soldering work. She's an ESD hazard!!!

Don't worry, yours will ship in the morning. Besides, as I recall, you sort of hacked my site and managed to order one hour earlier than the official start time. Of course I was glad as you caught for us a problem with shipping weight that would have caused major headaches. :) :)

Thanks,

ALEX

Hi Alex,

May I recommend the FedEx shipping method for customers in the Netherlands (probably other EU too)? It was delivered here in two days, and 20 minutes before the estimation of 12:00 PM. No delays at customs (I had that with the microRendu), no extra fees. Highly recommended.

Still trying to describe the changes in sound, but it is difficult. I am being hindered by the goosebumps that keep crawling up (LPS-1 into microRendu into Chord Hugo to a PSVane TC5 KT120 amp + Totem Model One Signatures). Great stuff.

Regards,

--Alex C.

Too bad that I missed that slot... mine is 4268 !

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

Hi everyone,

Just a little question regarding the LPS-1.

Are there some noteworthy differences between the

HYDRA ZPM Power Supply (apparently the same technology, 2 x 310 Farad, 5V/1A)

Hydra ZPM | Audiobyte

and the LPS-1

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

Hi everyone,

Just a little question regarding the LPS-1.

Are there some noteworthy differences between the

HYDRA ZPM Power Supply (apparently the same technology, 2 x 310 Farad, 5V/1A)

Hydra ZPM | Audiobyte

and the LPS-1

My understanding is that the Hydra ZPM uses supercapacitors just for additional filter capacitance and the AC charging them remains connected at all times.

In contrast, our UltraCap LPS-1 completely separates the AC mains from the output by alternately charging two strings of supercaps, and thus is more like a battery supply (but more convenient and with lower output impedance over a wide bandwidth).

The LPS-1 is a vastly more complicated design (262 parts on the board plus a lot of software code), and this was all done in service of the design goal of complete blockage of leakage currents.

To-date the only other firm that has accomplished a bank-switching, processor-controlled, supercapacitor-based linear power supply is Vinne Rossi--currently as the built-in supply for his very fine LIO modular source/amp component, though I understand he has announced plans for a $1,000 stand-alone 2.5 amp PS.

I hope that helps a little. Supercapacitors are amazing high-energy-density devices, but utilizing them as isolated power sources is not a trivial task.

My shipment arrived Friday, and I continue to be impressed with how good things sound powered via an LPS-1.

A question about supply voltages: I know the LPS-1 is designed to be able to provide its available output voltages when supplied with regulated DC at any voltage from 7.5v to 12v, as long as the published current needs are met.

That's what it can do; but what would it like to do? Given that a have available a selection of fixed-voltage and adjustable-voltage power supplies, if there's no particular reason from my perspective to pick one... what's the optimal feeder voltage for the LPS-1, what makes it work least hard?

Give that I could supply it with any of 7.5v, 9v, or 12v... what will the LPS-1 be most comfortable sipping when providing 7v out?

If this answer is different for the other output voltages, it'd be great to know the answers for them as well, just for completeness.

Thanks!

My understanding is that the Hydra ZPM uses supercapacitors just for additional filter capacitance and the AC charging them remains connected at all times.

In contrast, our UltraCap LPS-1 completely separates the AC mains from the output by alternately charging two strings of supercaps, and thus is more like a battery supply (but more convenient and with lower output impedance over a wide bandwidth).

The LPS-1 is a vastly more complicated design (262 parts on the board plus a lot of software code), and this was all done in service of the design goal of complete blockage of leakage currents.

To-date the only other firm that has accomplished a bank-switching, processor-controlled, supercapacitor-based linear power supply is Vinne Rossi--currently as the built-in supply for his very fine LIO modular source/amp component, though I understand he has announced plans for a $1,000 stand-alone 2.5 amp PS.

I hope that helps a little. Supercapacitors are amazing high-energy-density devices, but utilizing them as isolated power sources is not a trivial task.

Hi,

What is the life span of supercapacitors ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

... 50 years? cry.gif

I'm only about just 16 innocent.gif so... I'll have to buy another one later on in my life? :-|

bye2.gif

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones