IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 launch thread!

On further thinking on what John just said - the LPS1 switches every 4 seconds when running at its max of 1A, this means it switches (or the capacitor cycles) 7.8 million times per year! Or say 23.7 million cycles during the warranted 3 years.

Are ultra-capacitors that robust to run 24/7 for years on end? I thought they only had a few million cycles in them.

Very good question. I asked the technical reps from the cap company we are using that exact question. They said the lifetime is actually not determined by the number of cycles but by the voltage and temperature. At the voltage we are using and the actual measured temperature of the caps in the case it comes out to over 50 years of lifetime. I think that is not going to be much of a problem for anyone.

The rep said the number of cycles is just a quick way to get some idea of how hot the caps are going to get. If you are using lots of deep cycle charge and discharge cycles the caps will get pretty hot. We are actually not charging and discharging them very much each cycle, so the temperature does not get as high.

Strangely enough the only time the caps actually get hot is when you unplug it. There is a circuit that fully discharges the caps when it powers down (explaining why you need that is long and complicated), THAT is a full deep discharge and does heat them up a fair amount (but still well within the ratings). The initial charge rate when you turn it on is a little lower than normal so it won't heat them up as much.

John S.

When will the LPS-1 spec sheet w/measurements be ready?

Hopefully the same time that the REGEN measurements are going to be released since it has been said they're very complicated.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Strangely enough the only time the caps actually get hot is when you unplug it. There is a circuit that fully discharges the caps when it powers down (explaining why you need that is long and complicated), THAT is a full deep discharge and does heat them up a fair amount (but still well within the ratings). The initial charge rate when you turn it on is a little lower than normal so it won't heat them up as much.

John S.

So, it really is advisable to run it 24/7 and not just turn it on when it's time to listen to music?

SonicTransporter i5 -> Linn KDS/3 -> M3a-800S -> EgglestonWorks Andra II

Will this work with my Logitech Touch?... and would it be a good idea to use with the Touch or would it not make that much difference?

Should give you an idea of SQ:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/installed-uptone-javascript-2-linear-power-supply-today-wow-23421/#post398991

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/installed-uptone-javascript-2-linear-power-supply-today-wow-23421/index2.html#post520356

But why not take the full step and purchase the MicroRendu as well :)

Will there be a 12v version in the future?

As stated in the Uptone website, you just purchase two, and connect them together. Or 4 if you need more current :)

So I guess you can power Auralic's as an example.

I'm sure you will get help with making a cable...

It will be interesting to see what next projects coming up from John and Alex.

How many LPS-1 would you need in order to power a Hypex ? Or any amplifier. Can it be done ?

Looking forward to having the LPS-1 in my system and comparisons with the iFi and HD-Plex 100.

I can tell you the ifi is too bright for me with a solid state amp .

[emoji39]

[emoji30][emoji85][emoji1][emoji1][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji1][emoji16][emoji16][emoji57][emoji16][emoji1][emoji1][emoji12][emoji38][emoji854][emoji38][emoji38]

The faces are from my granddaughter who loves headphones .

It does (I have the same power supply for my Regen), you just need another power chord.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Or 4 if you need more current.

Actually paralleling for more current won't work well.

Putting them in series for higher voltages works fine, as does putting them in series and center-tapping to create a bi-polar (+/-) supply. But from John's tests we find that I would have select matched-pairs of units with output voltages within about 20mV of each other in order to parallel them and have them track close enough so that one unit does not end up with all the current burden.

It is a bit complicated, and John even both calculated and tried extra resistance (including that from the included 70cm cables we provide), but even the 50mV difference of the two boards he has was enough to keep a pair from achieving 2A. This is no different from what one faces with any other power supply. Its also why one replaces all the batteries in a flashlight or other device at the same time.

Maybe later John can explain more. And certainly when I have time with a big pile of production boards I'll see if picking a very closely matched pair allows for the greater current/paralleling trick to work.

That's great news and I look forward to getting one for my microRendu.

Will there be a 12v version in the future?

We have not yet planned out a whole line of UltraCap™ supplies, so that future could be quite a ways off (we have one or two other product launches planned to come before).

As mentioned, two LPS-1 units in series--one set for 7V, one set for 5V--will give 12V, but that's not cheap for what will still be a 1.1A max current.

12V in one unit, and with greater current capability? That means a great many more and larger ultracapacitors, a much bigger chassis (at least 4 times the size), and a higher price. Back about a year ago, John and I sketched out a design for a monster--4-output, 6-10 amp, 5-18 volt--unit, code named "Dominator." But it would be about the size of two JS-2s (not LPS-1s)--and I can't remember if that even included the feeder PS. Napkin addition said it would sell for almost $3K.

I am sure we could do something in-between, but for right now we are concentrating on making the LPS-1 a success and trying to keep most everyone happy.

:)

I agree with you, and looking forward to Alex and/or John explain if just some sort of voltage regulator after the LPS-1's adding like up to 6? LPS-1 in parallel could in theory do the trick.

That should give you 6A. Total of 12 LPS-1 in order to achieve the voltage as well ?

Sounds extremely expensive. Need a new case with linear PS, put 12 cards inside. Add voltage regulation. Mission impossible? :)

I can can understand why they did not developed the "Dominator"...

Though it had nice specs.

Thanks R12 for your reply. I have it powered by my JS-2 for now and it is excellent. Just thought if it can be an improvement over the JS-2

The only possible option I could think about that may give better SQ, is you could test the new Isotek Genesis 100W AC regeneration PS in front of the JS-2.

http://www.isoteksystems.com/products/mosaic/evo3-genesis-one/

Also a quite expensive solution. (2K?)

Will I save freight cost by not choosing Mean Well SMPS ?

Can choosing Mean Well SMPS slow down the delivery, as you may not have 150 Mean Well SMPS available today ?

As stated on the product page, freight cost is the same with or without the Mean Well supply. For Priority Mail--both domestic and international--we use a small flat-rate box or flat-rate padded mailer. My actual cost for overseas with insurance is a little more than $34 for Priority Mail, but we only charge $32. Our FedEx and Express Mail international rates are also $2-4 below our actual cost. I know everyone (including me) hates paying a lot for freight.

As for slowing down shipments, no, we have 270 Mean Well supplies in stock, and I am about to order more (more of everything really!).

Thanks,

AJC

12V in one unit, and with greater current capability? That means a great many more and larger ultracapacitors,

As the working voltage of a Supercapacitor is typically 2.7V, you would need parallel banks of at least 5 series connected capacitors for use at 12V, or use Supercaps where this has already been done by the manufacturer..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Is it UL tested?

The supplied Mean Well "energizing" supply--the only piece that plugs into the wall--has almost a dozen certificates and certifications, including UL and CE.

The UltraCap LPS-1 DC>DC unit does not have any certificates, nor does it really need any. We may eventually waste a bunch of money on CE, but the only country where than has been any bother (with the REGEN) is Germany--and ironically that has only been when local customs offices look at the Mean Well and don't believe its legitimate CE cert. (Now for Germany-bound REGENs we put extra commercial invoices on the outside of the box and Frankfurt airport customs clears it, thus skipping the petty local customs offices and saving a lot of time).

I have both HDPlex 100W and iFi SMPS 9V.

What would you use to power UltraCap for microRendu?

They should sound the same. Why put another 2A/9V load on your HDPlex--unless its winter and you want to warm up the room some more.

Personally I would use the included Mean Well as its regulation measures better than the iFi, and as a Level VI supply it spreads its noise way up high and broad, and at a low level.

Remember, SMPS don't do much harm if:

a) you are not using it to directly powering a device within your audio system (charging the LPS-1 is not directly connected) and thus not concerned with its DC output noise spec;

b) its AC leakage current (the real evil of SMPS units with their "Y" capacitors) is blocked and can not induce a "leakage loop" with other supplies in your system. And that's how it is when using one with an UltraCap LPS-1.

Elsewhere I proposed this simple test: Take a modern SMPS (built within the last 4 years) and plug it into the same wall outlet or power strip as the rest of your audio gear. But don't plug its output cable into anything. You most likely won't hear any difference. If you do, then that is the tiny degree to which an SMPS powering an LPS-1 can do. I've done it with the Mean Well and the iFi iPower and a couple of others. Nothing, nada.

:)

What is the difference between the three options for delivery? Maybe because I am from Europe I do not know the difference between USPS and FedEx etcetera... Faster/ more reliable? #4047, chose FedEx...

The USPS (Unites States Postal Service) has agreements with government postal services all over the world (though in some countries packages get handed over to and delivered by a private carrier). Priority Mail International (our $32 service) is an insured and moderately well-tracked service that takes a total of about 12-16 business days to most European countries (except Poland and Hungary--add a couple of weeks to those ;)).

We have shipped thousands of packages via Priority Mail with very few incidents or delays. (Partially because we know what we are doing when it comes to the paperwork and declarations; not everyone does.)

Another option we offer is USPS International Express Mail, known in other countries as EMS. It is like a public-carrier version of FedEx. It is much faster and more secure than Priority Mail. I advise against using EMS to South America as if a package gets lost, the USPS does not want to pay the claim; whereas for Priority Mail we use a private insurance system that pays claims in a week with a few mouse-clicks).

FedEx is a worldwide private carrier (similar to DHL and UPS), and they generally maintain their own "customs cages" in the countries they serve. They are VERY fast 3-5 days at most, and quite secure. Expensive for small items, but we use them exclusively for international shipment of our big JS-2 choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7 amp LPS. They have a program called "Great Rates" for packages over 5kg, and we can ship the 7kg JS-2 box anywhere in the world via their fastest service for about $95--and it gets there in 3-5 days, often sooner.

Sorry for the long answer. I take shipping very seriously. To my mind, the sale is not complete until the product is in your hands, in your system, and you are grinning with the music!