IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 launch thread!

Well, thank god my system already sounds so good.... :)

Anyway, while I wait a few more months... I currently run my microRendu with an HDPLEX 100. I also have an ifi 9v kicking around, boxed up for selling (much prefer the HDPLEX). Any difference between them for powering the LPS? The rendu and HD runs on its own 20amp dedicated circuit.

Of course will be interested in HDPLEX and LPS-1 comparisons. Maybe I can calm my audio nervosa. Can't have everything in life.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

The fun has begun--and orders are rolling in fast. 120 sold in the first 5 minutes! This is insane.

You guys are the greatest!

Thanks a ton. You won't be disappointed.

Best,

--Alex C.

P.S. I'll come back and start answering the posted questions later today. Once I recover from this shock. ;)

Wow, I got on the site a 9:13 and only made the second batch. 155 had already been ordered. I guess I'll see mine in early November. :)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Yep, sounds like a damn steam hammer.

(My apologies for joking with you, I could not resist. I am not John or Alex and so cannot tell you with 100% certainty, but I am 99.9999% sure that there is absolutely no noise from bank switching.)

haha, yes I suppose it's a strange question but an issue I faced with my VR-LIO. The switching of it's ultra-capacitors is quite loud in a quiet environment but luckily infrequent. With the LPS-1 switching every 4 seconds at 1A, it becomes a strange but important question.. :)

On your last question I am not sure what you are asking, the USB on the microRendu is the OUTPUT not the input. If you mean the Ethernet jack, then yes, the MicroRendu is galvanically isolated from the Ethernet cable, and the LPS-1 powering the microRendu prevents any leakage current through the power connection.

John S.

Hi John, thanks for answering. Yes you are quite right, I wanted to say ethernet jack but the brain derailed...!

I take it that the mR will have no issues with leakage currents from the ethernet jack of a router since it is galvanically isolated then?

John, what are the orange colored things on the circuit board?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

haha, yes I suppose it's a strange question but an issue I faced with my VR-LIO. The switching of it's ultra-capacitors is quite loud in a quiet environment but luckily infrequent. With the LPS-1 switching every 4 seconds at 1A, it becomes a strange but important question.. :)

Wow, I would never have expected that. I like this place, always learning something new here.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Congratulations Alex and John! Glad I got my order in right at 9am.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Congratulations Alex and John! Glad I got my order in right at 9am.

Heck, I was able to wait until noon. ;)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My lawyer would consider that 3 billable hours.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On further thinking on what John just said - the LPS1 switches every 4 seconds when running at its max of 1A, this means it switches (or the capacitor cycles) 7.8 million times per year! Or say 23.7 million cycles during the warranted 3 years.

Are ultra-capacitors that robust to run 24/7 for years on end? I thought they only had a few million cycles in them.

I thought I saw an announcement from Vinnie about an upgrade in future units to use quiet switching devices that would be available (for a price) for existing units.... see info here:

Announcing new LIO “SS” upgrade (Silent Switching)

That is the solution!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

My lawyer would consider that 3 billable hours.

There's an apocryphal story that I'm sure is still going around about the legal team on a westbound plane that was able to bill more than 24 hours in a day.

I have both HDPlex 100W and iFi SMPS 9V.

What would you use to power UltraCap for microRendu?

Whatever sounds better. If you can't tell a difference, whatever you want.

...the LPS1 switches every 4 seconds when running at its max of 1A...

Where is this stated?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

In other words, you had at least 3 extra hours to do more than just eat breakfast and drink your cup of coffee before refreshing the Uptone Audio order page to place your order. :)

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

There is no noise with the LIO SS update. Totally silent!

Announcing new LIO “SS” upgrade (Silent Switching)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

In other words, you had at least 3 extra hours to do more than just eat breakfast and drink your cup of coffee before refreshing the Uptone Audio order page to place your order. :)

Tea here (and decaf these days, sigh), but otherwise right on. :)

Well that was quick.

First 150 sold in first 10 minutes! Taking orders for the next 100 for end-of-October shipment.

If your order number is 4175 or below, you made it into the first group--with October 14th ship date.

Order numbers 4176 and above will be ready to ship at the end-of-October.

This should also be reflected in the order confirmation e-mail.

Now my staff and I really need to knuckle down and get to work on these. The boards arrive tomorrow.

MANY THANKS AGAIN.

Just before East Coast lunchtime, I snagged #4070.

Mid-October can't come fast enough for me now!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

My Golden Question is weather or not there is a SQ improvement when powering a Regen with the LPS1 versus the JPS2? Apparently Alex has not had time to make the comparisons. Any chance John Swenson has made this comparison? I would think others would be interested in the results of this comparison.

*** I did order one from the first batch but not sure how excited i should be. Fingers crossed

John, what are the orange colored things on the circuit board?

There aren't any orange colored components so you must be referring to the heatsink areas. The components that generate some heat (switch transistors, linear regulators etc) are soldered to small rectangles of copper which act as heatsinks. To improve heat flow I removed the soldermask over those areas. The surface you are actually seeing is gold plating over the copper so it won't corrode and loose thermal conductivity.

John S.