IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 launch thread!

... 50 years? [ATTACH=CONFIG]29872[/ATTACH]

I'm only about just 16 [ATTACH=CONFIG]29870[/ATTACH] so... I'll have to buy another one later on in my life? :-|

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29871[/ATTACH]

So you became a CA member when you were only 12 years old ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

looks dad forgot to turn parental controls on for some dangerous site(s) :P

... four years already I'm here? :-0

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

My shipment arrived Friday, and I continue to be impressed with how good things sound powered via an LPS-1.

A question about supply voltages: I know the LPS-1 is designed to be able to provide its available output voltages when supplied with regulated DC at any voltage from 7.5v to 12v, as long as the published current needs are met.

That's what it can do; but what would it like to do? Given that a have available a selection of fixed-voltage and adjustable-voltage power supplies, if there's no particular reason from my perspective to pick one... what's the optimal feeder voltage for the LPS-1, what makes it work least hard?

Give that I could supply it with any of 7.5v, 9v, or 12v... what will the LPS-1 be most comfortable sipping when providing 7v out?

If this answer is different for the other output voltages, it'd be great to know the answers for them as well, just for completeness.

Thanks!

Superdad will be along sometime Monday, no doubt, to answer this, but I'm guessing the LPS-1 would run coolest with a 7.5V input (with less heat be generated by its voltage regulator). Other than that, it probably doesn't matter (as long as you give it enough amps.)

My understanding is that the Hydra ZPM uses supercapacitors just for additional filter capacitance and the AC charging them remains connected at all times.

In contrast, our UltraCap LPS-1 completely separates the AC mains from the output by alternately charging two strings of supercaps, and thus is more like a battery supply (but more convenient and with lower output impedance over a wide bandwidth).

The LPS-1 is a vastly more complicated design (262 parts on the board plus a lot of software code), and this was all done in service of the design goal of complete blockage of leakage currents.

To-date the only other firm that has accomplished a bank-switching, processor-controlled, supercapacitor-based linear power supply is Vinne Rossi--currently as the built-in supply for his very fine LIO modular source/amp component, though I understand he has announced plans for a $1,000 stand-alone 2.5 amp PS.

I hope that helps a little. Supercapacitors are amazing high-energy-density devices, but utilizing them as isolated power sources is not a trivial task.

Thanks a lot for for your explanations.

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

I have doubts about that guess, but JS or superdad should answer. The fact that the input current varies with Vin indicates more at play than simply voltage.

Superdad will be along sometime Monday, no doubt, to answer this, but I'm guessing the LPS-1 would run coolest with a 7.5V input (with less heat be generated by its voltage regulator). Other than that, it probably doesn't matter (as long as you give it enough amps.)

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I have doubts about that guess, but JS or superdad should answer. The fact that the input current varies with Vin indicates more at play than simply voltage.

The raw voltage from the input jack goes two places, a switching boost regulator, this takes whatever the input voltage is to a fixed higher voltage. The other location is a linear regulator for the control circuits (FPGA, opto isolators etc)

The boost circuit pulls a constant POWER, so the input current will be lower for higher input voltage. This circuit doesn't have to work as hard with higher input voltage (it has to boost less).

The linear regulator gets warmer as the input voltage increases.

These two are the ONLY parts of the circuit that have any dependency on the input voltage.

I personally run mine at 9V to even these two out.

BUT please note that all the circuits are designed to work very well at ANY of the input voltages. It makes no difference to the output, the SQ will be exactly the same, all the parts are running well below their rated temperatures no matter what input voltage, so longevity of the device will not vary.

PLEASE don't get wigged out over choosing the "optimal input voltage" use whatever you have that works. If you already have multiple voltages on hand or are buying something specific for the purpose that costs the same for the different input voltage/current combinations, then go for 9V. If your choices have different costs then go for the cheapest (or nicest looking or whatever criteria you want to use) as long as it meets the voltage/current requirements.

John S.

So a related question... If I had a 12v power supply that could provide 3+ amps continously, would there be any reason not to feed 2 LPS-1s with it?

Just curious... I'm checking some supplies I have here, not sure ANY will do that, but just in case.

THX!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

I personally run mine at 9V to even these two out.

[...]

PLEASE don't get wigged out over choosing the "optimal input voltage" use whatever you have that works.

Thanks for the response! I promise I won't obsess, it was literally a question of which existing power supply to pull off the shelf and if there was any even slight reason for my hand to go in one direction or another.

The FAQ reads that you can put 2 LPS1 in serial to get 12V, I was wondering how do you do it, is it as simple as connecting one of the DC output's + to another's -? Thanks!

Exactly, just like batteries. But you will have to make a custom pair of cables to do it. Obviously a standard DC "Y" cable is not going to connect the two supplies in series (+/-/+/-).

And to answer the logical next question: No, at this time we are not offering a pre-made "series" cable for pairing LPS-1s for higher voltage.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

Exactly, just like batteries. But you will have to make a custom pair of cables to do it. Obviously a standard DC "Y" cable is not going to connect the two supplies in series (+/-/+/-).

And to answer the logical next question: No, at this time we are not offering a pre-made "series" cable for pairing LPS-1s for higher voltage.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

But maybe you can offer to only sell the boards ? :)

I am doing just that w/my LS-1.

Powering LS-1 with HDPlex - not supposed to matter much, though.

Very much liking what I'm hearing. Been a very BZ time and not much critical listening and have not swapped back to previous setup(s).

I just posted my listening impressions of the LPS-1 feeding a W4S Recovery here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/ultracap%99-linear-power-supply-1-listening-impressions-thread-30172/index5.html#post594994

Doak,

Thank you for the info.

Not sure about voltages here. The Recovery requires 9v, 1A. The LPS-1 outputs are 3.3v, 5v & 7v. How do you get 9v for the Recovery?

I know little about electricity (prolly is obvious). What am I missing?

Doak,

Thank you for the info.

Not sure about voltages here. The Recovery requires 9v, 1A. The LPS-1 outputs are 3.3v, 5v & 7v. How do you get 9v for the Recovery?

I know little about electricity (prolly is obvious). What am I missing?

It appears/sounds to be working very well.

I expect that the W4S Recovery can operate within a range of voltage/amperage, just as the Regen and microRendu.

Actually, the first batch of Recovery was specced with a safe operating range of 6.5 - 12V and delivered with a 9V PS.

Because of issues in some configurations, the device was quickly revised, specced at 6 - 9V and delivered with a 6V PS.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I am thinking of using the LPS 1 with the Recovery. Mine is the Rev B, which you mention is 6-9V. I am using a iFi iPower rated at 9V/ 1.5A to power it.

So the LPS 1 with 3.3v, 5v & 7v should be fine outputting 7v correct? And sonically according to Doak pretty good too.

I plan to power the LPS 1 with another iFi iPower rated at 12V/ 1.8A which according to one of the Sonore owners on the other thread should work fine.

Actually, the first batch of Recovery was specced with a safe operating range of 6.5 - 12V and delivered with a 9V PS.

Because of issues in some configurations, the device was quickly revised, specced at 6 - 9V and delivered with a 6V PS.

FWIW, I am using the LPS-1 now with a W4S Remedy. In my system I prefer it over the microRendu/LPS-1!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Superdad, having the control logic working for the LPS-1, do you consider expanding the supercap to other applications?

I was thinking about:

1. A supercap network DAC amp, in which Ethernet comes in, rendered to a DAC and fed into a class D amp to speakers. Supercap with big capacitor banks feeds the amp during small signals and low power. If peaks and sustained power is more than the power banks can supply, then temporarily connect to the mains.

2. Supercap power conditioner. The above in a fixed 110V/220V 50/60Hz output.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Superdad, having the control logic working for the LPS-1, do you consider expanding the supercap to other applications?

I was thinking about:

1. A supercap network DAC amp, in which Ethernet comes in, rendered to a DAC and fed into a class D amp to speakers. Supercap with big capacitor banks feeds the amp during small signals and low power. If peaks and sustained power is more than the power banks can supply, then temporarily connect to the mains.

2. Supercap power conditioner. The above in a fixed 110V/220V 50/60Hz output.

This is already in existence. It's called the Vinnie Rossi LIO. Vinnie Rossi - LIO custom modular audio component

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos