IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 launch thread!

If you guys are referring to the attached, it's NOT suitable to use with the LPS1 !!!

It's fine for the Regen though, which needs no more than around 500 mA

Do yourselves a favour and pay a little more for the Meanwell as well.

You can try suitable Linear PSUs later.

Alex

High-end 30W DC9V HiFi Linear power supply Regulated PSU for DAC headphone amp

Alex K.:

While I agree that it is smarter for folks to order the LPS-1 with the 7.5V/2.93A Mean Well (if they don't already have one that came with a REGEN), I do not think you are correct about the "El Cheapo" not being suitable. With a 9V input, the UltraCap LPS-1 only draws an intermittent 2A during each charging cycle. The web page for the "El Cheapo" claims 9V/3A, but even if it can't muster that, I am pretty sure it will handle 2A for the LPS-1.

But it is unlikely to make ANYTHING sound ANY different than with the Mean Well (back our blocking the SMPS' evil leakage current). Until people start reporting that Level V or VI SMPS units plugged into the wall--with their output not connected to anything--cause an effect they can hear, I will continue to say that the "energizing" supply for the LPS-1 makes ZERO difference to SQ.

For fun I am going to take 6 Mean Wells and plug them all into a powerstrip and plug that power strip into the socket right next to my DAC and preamp. If there is something to fear from SMPS units used for our isolated supply, I should hear that right away. ;)

--Alex C.

Alex C

I disagree with you on this one, and it has also been discussed previously elsewhere..

This design uses an LM317T which is normally rated for 1.5A maximum, and your specs say 9V at 2A.

You will see in the better photo that I have attached, that the heatsink is WAY too small for this kind of current and is likely to will get excessively hot unless beefed up.

Regards

Alex K

I am going to AGREE with you Alex! A supply that can't cut it should not be used.

At this very moment I am rechecking if the 9V iFi iPower is even going to cut it. We may not have checked it with the LPS-1 in its high-amperage mode. The LPS-1 has a low current mode and a high current mode. Still no connection to the feeder, but for consumption John has put logic in for two levels of draw, just so that we don't draw 2A from the feeder when powering a device using just .45A.

Please stay tuned with regards the iFi iPower. Some people have already asked to add the Mean Well back to their order, and I am working on logistics to do that. If it turns out that the 9V iFi is not suitable, then everyone who ordered with the "Omit energizing supply" option will have a chance to add it back in.

Okay gents:

John and I just got off the phone. We both have digital programmable load units that we use for PS testing (the one I bought for him is fancier). And we both have iFi iPower 9V SMPS wall warts.

His came later, in the box marked 2.0 amps. Mine is the earlier one (courtesy of my friend Rich at Signature Sound), with the box marked 1.5A.

Setting aside the LPS-1, we just put our iPower warts directly onto our load boxes. Mine craps out completely at 1.6 amps, John's makes it to 2.1 amps.

There you have it. Sorry to report that whoever said that all the 9V units were always capable of 2.0A (and that it was just a test/certification thing) appears to be incorrect. Of course it is possible that my unit is an anomaly.

So at this point, those of you planning to use an iFi iPower to energize your UltraCap LPS-1 (for reasons of convenience as I have already explained it won't sound any better than the Mean Well), you need to check the label on your iPower. If it says 9V/1.5A, then it won't allow your LPS-1 to reach full current (but it is a charging mode level thing--the input is not otherwise related to the output).

If your iPower says 9V/2.0 amp then you fine for full function of the LPS-1.

We have not tested the iPower 12V/1.5A version, but that should be fine as well. Remember, the guidelines are: 7.5V/2.5A, 9V/2.0A, 12V/1.5A.

Honestly, the point of offering the LPS-1 without the Mean Well was mainly to save a few dollars (just $15) for the thousands of you that got the exact same supply with your USB REGEN. There are not going to be sonic differences between feeders--definitely not between SMPS--that's about 100% certain.

I am shocked, delighted, and sad to report that all 250 UltraCap LPS-1 units available for October shipment (150 by the 14th, the other 100 by the 30th) are now sold.

And thanks to all your orders, we were able to today make full pre-payments to all our suppliers for quick turn-around on parts for the next 250 units. The parts will arrive at the beginning of November, and if I keep cracking the whip on my staff--or give them pastries and coffee--we will begin shipping the first of the next 250 units by November 18th. Remember, orders are filled in the order received.

Somewhere in the middle of that we will move ourselves into my new building. Luckily it is going to be the world's shortest business relocation--all of about 30 feet! For an inside look, check out the blog post (with pictures) I wrote the other afternoon while procrastinating something more important: UpTone Audio New Blog

Thanks again everyone!

--Alex C.

P.S. I promise to work my way through all your e-mails and reply. There are more than 100, so I may have to do a marathon over the weekend.

For fun I am going to take 6 Mean Wells and plug them all into a powerstrip and plug that power strip into the socket right next to my DAC and preamp. If there is something to fear from SMPS units used for our isolated supply, I should hear that right away. ;)

--Alex C.

And...? :)

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

If it turns out that the 9V iFi is not suitable, then everyone who ordered with the "Omit energizing supply" option will have a chance to add it back in.

Alex, can we do this without losing our place in the order queue?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I've started a new thread for those of you who wish to discuss (the non-issue in my mind) of appropriate and inappropriate AC>DC supplies to feed the new UltraCap LPS-1 with.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/discussions-alternate-energizing-charging-ps-units-use-ultracap-linear-power-supply-1-not-any-will-make-any-difference-output-30026/#post587088

Below is the first post I made there (though I have to see if Chris can move it to above the earlier-dated ones).

Please keep your posts on that topic over there. And do come back here with other questions, impressions, etc.

Thanks,

--ALEX C.

================================

In the interest of keeping the main UltraCap™ LPS-1 launch thread of getting cluttered with all the side conversations of suitability of other AC>DC converters that could be used to feed/energize/charge it, I have moved all posts on the topic over here.

As stated many times, the quality (noise, isolation, blockage of leakage current) of the output of the LPS-1 is 100% not affected by the the AC>DC converter that feeds it. Period.

It is also our stance that the vast majority of the evils of SMPS units in audio systems are due not to the high frequency switching noise they kick back into the AC mains as traditionally thought.

Modern Level V- and Level VI-certified units like the Mean Well we ship with the LPS-1 and REGEN suppress and spread their noise very high up (hundreds of Khz range), and traditional linear power supplies have their own diode switching noise down low (at multiples of 50/60Hz),and that big PS in your power amps really kicks a bunch in the wall (a big part of why power cord differences are more readily heard with power amps--they vary in filtering the harmonics going back into the wall!).

No, the evil of the SMPS is in the high amount of AC leakage current they transfer into the audio system (because their design requires use of what are called "Y" capacitors: read the first answer here: switch mode power supply - What does the Y capacitor in a SMPS do? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange). But in fact it takes more than one PS in a system (and combo of LPS or SMPS) for leakage current "loops" to form.

Please read this great post by John Swenson on the topic:

John Swenson's Tech Corner – UpTone Audio

Anyway, since the UltraCap LPS-1 does not EVER connect the output of its feeder supply (be it SMPS or LPS) to its clean DC output side (that's what the hassle and expense of the FPGA-controlled, opto-isolator filled, bank-switching scheme is all about), zero leakage current gets added into your system from the LPS-1 or whatever device it is powering.

An SMPS powering an LPS-1 might as well be powering your telephone answering machine.

So when considering what to energize the LPS-1 with, all that leaves is the choice between the high-spread harmonics of SMPS that is not connect to you audio system versus the low frequency harmonics (and transformer ringing) of cheap linear supplies (and the diode bridges those use are pretty nasty).

Very soon everyone will find out for themselves that when using our crazy new isolated supply the choice of the feeder really does not matter. ;)

What does matter though is that whatever feeder/charging supply you use (ideally just the Mean Well that is normally included) meets the voltage and current specs we put forth. Otherwise your LPS-1 will not work properly. Again, those specs are:

7.5V/2.5A, 9V/2.0A, or 12V/1.5A--and it MUST be a REGULATED PS (all SMPS are, and most all of the linears that get considered are; but some of you may find an old unregulated transformer brick around--don't use that!).

And for those not well versed in power supplies, the current rating for units at any of those voltages is allowed to be higher. In other words, a 9V/3A or 12V/2A are also both fine. And hypothetically, if you had an 8V/2.5A or 11V/1.8A, those would work as well.

But nothing under 7.5 volts and nothing over 12 volts please. And check the current ratings.

Lastly, no feeder/charger (that meets the above specs) is going to change the maximum output current capability of the LPS-1. It is a 1A supply. (Today's first testing of many production boards has them maxing out at between 1.1-1.2 amps as expected)

===========================

So far about 25% of the people who have ordered an UltraCap LPS-1 chose the "Omit the energizing supply" option (which saves $15 off the $395 complete package price).

That option was presented primarily for the great many USB REGEN owners out there, since that product came with the same 7.5V/2.93A Mean Well supply, and if the LPS-1 is going to be used to power a REGEN, they already have the correct AC>DC unit to "energize"/charge the LPS-1. We are for saving the planet and saving you a little money.

However, we have seen some requests (both here on the forum and via e-mail) from people who now wish to add the Mean Well back to their UltraCap LPS-1 order.[/i]

Maybe they either realized that what they have on hand for the task does not meet our stated requirement range of 7.5V/2.5A, 9.0V/2.0A, or 12V/1.5A.

Or maybe some are starting to believe what I have been posting about the unimportance of the ultimate quality of the energizing unit to the output of the LPS-1 and that blocking SMPS AC leakage current will render it benign.

In any case, I have come up with an easy way to handle your requests, one that won't be a logistical nightmare for us, and which won't affect your place in the order queue--so you will receive your full UltraCap LPS-1 product when originally promised.

Just go to this special product/order page on our web site, click "Add to Cart" and check out:

Add a Mean Well AC>DC 7.5V SMPS back to your UltraCap LPS-1 order

The above is not a page you can navigate to from menus on our web site. This is a semi-private link, as it is just for those who have an existing advance order for an LPS-1. We will not be shipping this item separately, and anyone who orders this SMPS & cord without already having an LPS-1 on order will see us cancel it and refund your $15.

Please be sure to type you first and last name exactly the same as on your original LPS-1 order. It will make it much easier for us to combine them.

THANK YOU.

--Alex C.

P.S. We are on track with production. Here is a photo of our present program/test/torture station (until we move into the new space between batches or on weekends--once the floor is in).

IMG_0976.JPG

I wonder if there are any reallife measurements available of the LPS-1 regards, ripple, noisefloor ?

The noise from the LPS-1 is very low, exactly how low I have not been able to measure. It is below the capabilities of my existing setup to measure. The problem seems to be environmental noise pickup of the cable going from PS to load. I'm going to have to build a special test fixture that plugs directly into the LPS-1 has the load and a very low noise amplifier to drive the test equipment, this should probably measure it.

The hard test is going to be the impedance vs frequency graph, I have to build a whole new test setup to measure that.

John S.

Hello John, thanks for your answer.

The noise from the LPS-1 is very low, exactly how low I have not been able to measure. It is below the capabilities of my existing setup to measure. The problem seems to be environmental noise pickup of the cable going from PS to load. I'm going to have to build a special test fixture that plugs directly into the LPS-1 has the load and a very low noise amplifier to drive the test equipment, this should probably measure it.

Ok, a good spectrum analyzer can do it. Looking forward about the measurements.

The hard test is going to be the impedance vs frequency graph, I have to build a whole new test setup to measure that.

John S.

I think with a network analyzer you can do it ($$ :)) but i never did it.

It's great to see you make use of the TPS. A couple years ago i did the same with some filtering on the input, powered with a lipo with 3mΩ internal resistance instead of the supercaps, that was a great project and drove my Touch beyond any expectations.

Hi John

Somehow I think you are going to have to build a VERY LNA to obtain meaningful measurements, or see proper waveforms with this PSU ! You may have to turn off all the lights and other stuff too !!!

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi John

Somehow I think you are going to have to build a VERY LNA to obtain meaningful measurements, or see proper waveforms with this PSU ! You may have to turn off all the lights and other stuff too !!!

Kind Regards

Alex

Yep, lights are a big issue, whenever I am doing sensitive measurements I have to turn off the lights in the lab. I've been trying to find a lighting system that drastically reduces emissions but it has been a difficult task.

John S.

Believe me guys, it's happening! Programming, testing, assembling--day and night...

:) :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29525[/ATTACH]

IMG_0984.JPG

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29527[/ATTACH]

That looks beautiful. Look at those shiny new units! My first LPS and it's an LP-1. Tell me I'm in for a treat. :)

SonicTransporter i5 -> Linn KDS/3 -> M3a-800S -> EgglestonWorks Andra II

Yep, lights are a big issue, whenever I am doing sensitive measurements I have to turn off the lights in the lab. I've been trying to find a lighting system that drastically reduces emissions but it has been a difficult task.

John S.

Daylighting Systems | Energy-efficient, Affordable Natural Lighting for Your Home | Solatube

But then what to do at night....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

John S.

The answer should be obvious to you --- an ultra cap powered LED lighting system [emoji6]

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

FYI:

Contrary to my earlier report (which was based on early firmware wherein the LPS-1 was stuck in low-current mode), I am happy to report that LPS-1 is easily capable of powering the MicroRendu while it is in turn powering/charging a 100% bus-powered DAC/headphone amp such as the iFi iDSD.

Here are the photos to prove it:

(and yes Jud, I turned on the iDSD's power/knob switch AFTER connecting the MicroRendu's USB output--which makes the iDSD run from VBUS instead of from batteries).

And a shout out to member "Confused" for his PMs which prompted me to take timeout to check all this this morning. His concern was if the LPS-1 would handle both the MicroRendu and bus-powered Mutec +USB converter, ad the answer there is yes as well since Mutec states 350mA max draw, and as you see the MicroRendu itself is a nothing draw of 160mA--even when booting.

Now back to testing/cooking the boards. About 100 more to run through between today and tomorrow!

Cheers,

--Alex C.

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG