IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 launch thread!

[The adventurous could even purchase two units and hook their outputs up in series, perhaps with one set to 7V and the other to 5V to obtain 12V; An even more interesting application would be for a DIY hobbyist to use two units harnessed together and center-tapped to produce a pure and isolated bi-polar (+ & -) supply for audio circuit use.]

Any plan offering a sort of Y-cable that utilizes this 12V ? :)

Will this work with my Logitech Touch?... and would it be a good idea to use with the Touch or would it not make that much difference?

Should give you an idea of SQ:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/installed-uptone-javascript-2-linear-power-supply-today-wow-23421/#post398991

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/installed-uptone-javascript-2-linear-power-supply-today-wow-23421/index2.html#post520356

But why not take the full step and purchase the MicroRendu as well :)

Will there be a 12v version in the future?

As stated in the Uptone website, you just purchase two, and connect them together. Or 4 if you need more current :)

So I guess you can power Auralic's as an example.

I'm sure you will get help with making a cable...

It will be interesting to see what next projects coming up from John and Alex.

How many LPS-1 would you need in order to power a Hypex ? Or any amplifier. Can it be done ?

I agree with you, and looking forward to Alex and/or John explain if just some sort of voltage regulator after the LPS-1's adding like up to 6? LPS-1 in parallel could in theory do the trick.

That should give you 6A. Total of 12 LPS-1 in order to achieve the voltage as well ?

Sounds extremely expensive. Need a new case with linear PS, put 12 cards inside. Add voltage regulation. Mission impossible? :)

I can can understand why they did not developed the "Dominator"...

Though it had nice specs.

Thanks R12 for your reply. I have it powered by my JS-2 for now and it is excellent. Just thought if it can be an improvement over the JS-2

The only possible option I could think about that may give better SQ, is you could test the new Isotek Genesis 100W AC regeneration PS in front of the JS-2.

http://www.isoteksystems.com/products/mosaic/evo3-genesis-one/

Also a quite expensive solution. (2K?)

The iFi 9V wall wart power supply that I purchase as an option with the microRendu really doesn't have a place in HiFi. It's a noisy SMPS and created hum problems for me by simply being plugged into the wall despite not being connected to anything. Nice packaging and marketing though.. if you're into that sort of thing.

Also I think John has said the LPS-1 requires 3A so it's also not powerful enough anyway.

The requirements for the LPS-1 as I read in Uptone web is:

(12V/1.5A, 9V/2A, or 7.5V/2.5A)

The ifi supplies: [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]5V/2.5A; 9V/2.0A; 12V/1.8A; 15V/1.2A

Your ifi will do. Yes it sends a bit noise back to the AC, as any smps do. A power conditioner can prevent that. I use "reasonable" priced versions from Isol-8 and Isotek.

Hum can be related to a DC component. Those are more expensive to get rid of. Isotek Syncro is one option.

Somewhere in the MicroRendu tread or maybe it was in the Ultracap tread, John some time last 2 months has write some interesting things about power. And a lot of which PS to use or can be used with the LPS-1. iFi being one of them.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The UltraCap LPS-1 DC>DC unit does not have any certificates, nor does it really need any. We may eventually waste a bunch of money on CE

I think you may have misunderstood the CE requirements. As I see it, it can only benefit Uptone Audio to add CE marking to their products.

And it does not cost you anything. (Except the cost of adding that sticker to the print board and the case.)

And add a CE declaration on your website.

If I understand this correctly the CE sticker is something you add your self to a product, in order to state your product is within the CE requirements.

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/ce-marking_en

I did not order Meanwell SMPS with LPS1 as I was planning to use iFi. This comment worries me and want to order Meanwell SMPS.

Is it possible to add Meanwell SMPS to the existing order?

I would not worry to much. This is one person. Hum is normally caused by the DC component in you AC main. He may have other equipment very sensitive to the the smps noise sent back on the mains.

So what I'm saying is that it may not affect the MicroRendu at all, but depending on your other items in your systems, they may be sensitive to a or any smps.

I suggest you email Alex, and ask if you can add the $15 to your order. It's a very cheap insurance to pay.

• 3 weeks later...
Exactly, just like batteries. But you will have to make a custom pair of cables to do it. Obviously a standard DC "Y" cable is not going to connect the two supplies in series (+/-/+/-).

And to answer the logical next question: No, at this time we are not offering a pre-made "series" cable for pairing LPS-1s for higher voltage.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

But maybe you can offer to only sell the boards ? :)

• 2 weeks later...
I heard a rumor that LPS-1 will be 50% off, and all those who have purchased one (me included) are just sh&$t out of luck . . .

He, he, I think if he could sell 10 000 units, all made and shipped from China, maybe possible.

That may not be an impossible number to sell at $199, but I would expect it would require a quite good marketing budget...

Or test what is possible on kickstarter :)

A combination of the MicroRendu and (a downsized ?) LPS-1 in one box may be more realistic. You could even add a smps inside, or a optional simple lps.

Maybe even add FMC interface.

But that is more like a xmas surprise...

• 2 months later...