IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 launch thread!

My shipment arrived Friday, and I continue to be impressed with how good things sound powered via an LPS-1.

A question about supply voltages: I know the LPS-1 is designed to be able to provide its available output voltages when supplied with regulated DC at any voltage from 7.5v to 12v, as long as the published current needs are met.

That's what it can do; but what would it like to do? Given that a have available a selection of fixed-voltage and adjustable-voltage power supplies, if there's no particular reason from my perspective to pick one... what's the optimal feeder voltage for the LPS-1, what makes it work least hard?

Give that I could supply it with any of 7.5v, 9v, or 12v... what will the LPS-1 be most comfortable sipping when providing 7v out?

If this answer is different for the other output voltages, it'd be great to know the answers for them as well, just for completeness.

Thanks!

Superdad will be along sometime Monday, no doubt, to answer this, but I'm guessing the LPS-1 would run coolest with a 7.5V input (with less heat be generated by its voltage regulator). Other than that, it probably doesn't matter (as long as you give it enough amps.)

• 3 weeks later...
If the list would be enormus, can you list one or two DACs as an example?

Quoting the Uptone Audio LPS-1 page:

The LPS-1 is a single output, 1-amp linear power supply intended for powering a wide range of audio and computer devices. Examples include: UpTone's own USB REGEN, the Sonore MicroRendu, small DACs and headphone amps, USB>S/PDIF converters, specialty computer USB cards, SSDs, fibre media converters, PS Audio LANRover, SqueezeBox Touch, etc.

A switch on the back of the LPS-1 allows for setting of the output voltage to 3.3V, 5V, or 7 volts.

Most DACs fall into one of three categories:

1) They require only 120V or 240V AC power

2) They require both 120V or 240V AC power -and- 5V DC power (at least 500 mA)

3) They require only 5V DC power (at least 500 mA)

The LPS-1 is therefore "compatible" with all DACs falling into category 2 or 3, above.

Listing two such DACs, per your request:

My Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII is compatible with the LPS-1 when cabled appropriately. (This DAC falls into category 2, above.)

My CEntrance DACport LX is compatible with the LPS-1 when cabled appropriately. (This DAC falls into category 3, above.)

Here's a thread that discusses some USB-powered DACs (those that fit in my category 3, above):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/review-portable-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-dacs-audioquest-dragonfly-meridian-explorer-director-ifi-idac-idsd-geek-out-pulse-19272/