IGNORED

Post Your System Topology - It Might Help Others To Improve Their Systems

r_w

On this link there is some picture of the construction of a Tellus grounding box Entreq Tellus grounding - Page 162 . It seems that for one person this thread have grown from DIY to a ebay product 8vvphnmlpgdf | eBay

Here is some pictures of the inside which clearly shows the actual construction:

201508291829175194.jpg

The stones used are black tourmaline and clear quartz (rock crystals). It is important that the box is made of a piezoelectrical material (which wood is). This is also the reason why grounding boxes should be placed elevated (on non-conductive feets) and never be close to metal parts. Good luck! :)

images.jpg

Hi Cornan, you know you are my inspiration, and you are always one step ahead :) Good to have you on the forum and thank you for all suggestions. I personally need to rest a little bit of making another changes, but I hope I will do some in the future. Meanwhile I just relax myself by my great sounding setup :) Enjoing DC Bloker (made by Tomanek) before Peaktech transformer. O, now I have two Peaktech transformers, as it is said, that for a safety reason you can supply only one gear out of the Peaktech transformer. So I have two; one for DAC and one for amplifier. Needles to say; with great results :)) The feeling of 3D spaciousness is remarkable. And calrity. Also a bit of thinner presentation, but this is something that with my Dynaudio speakers I'm not worry about.

Grounding boxes are really great if you use shielded cables. It brings music to life. However, I have noticed that after removing the shields, reduced system grounding to one path and adding isolation transformer I have slowly moved my Entreq Minimus to spots with cable shields and no galvanicly isolation. Now when my setup is 100% isolated my Minimus have moved to my easy listening area. This is actually something I never though would occur. I thought it would stay for good.

Bottom line: unshielded cables and galvanic isolation improves the same things as grounding boxes. I didn't realize until recently. I had great use for the grounding boxes to actually evaluate were improvements were needed and when all done it only makes things a tiny bit worse. However, I still have use for it in my secondary system and will also try to connect it to the safety ground and see if it can stay there on my primary setup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Great information and what I will do is to post my system toplogy, I think that's the best way for you more experienced guys to give me some recommendations of how I can improve my system. I am not a DIY guy but it would be interesting to hear your views in case there are some tips that don't require building stuff

P.S all my cables are shielded, I think so :)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Hi Cornan, you know you are my inspiration, and you are always one step ahead :) Good to have you on the forum and thank you for all suggestions. I personally need to rest a little bit of making another changes, but I hope I will do some in the future. Meanwhile I just relax myself by my great sounding setup :) Enjoing DC Bloker (made by Tomanek) before Peaktech transformer. O, now I have two Peaktech transformers, as it is said, that for a safety reason you can supply only one gear out of the Peaktech transformer. So I have two; one for DAC and one for amplifier. Needles to say; with great results :)) The feeling of 3D spaciousness is remarkable. And calrity. Also a bit of thinner presentation, but this is something that with my Dynaudio speakers I'm not worry about.

It is really great to hear that you are enjoying your sound! :)

I am really pleased with my sound as well and should really just relax and enjoy music...but cannot help myself from experimenting anyhow. Not all experiments ends with good results, but that is not really the point. The point is to learn something new which sometimes gives both surpricing and counter-active results and sometimes gives you that "lightbulb" above your head. I really like that little lightbulb and always strive to get it enlightened! I got the tip regarding the ATL DC blocker from @Middy and I got many others on this forum to thank for those glowing lightbulbs. No man is an island...with the exception of JS. He is atleast a big chunk of that digital audio island! ;)

Great information and what I will do is to post my system toplogy, I think that's the best way for you more experienced guys to give me some recommendations of how I can improve my system. I am not a DIY guy but it would be interesting to hear your views in case there are some tips that don't require building stuff

P.S all my cables are shielded, I think so :)

A system topology that includes power (LPS/SMPS/BPS and AC) and cable types will help a lot to give you advices. There is plenty of members on this thread that could give you great advices on how to improve your system.

Most hifi grade cables in "normal" price ranges are shielded. If you do not know it is probably shielded and a grounding box is likely a good investment.

I only got the DC blocker as I got the tip of trying a balanced isolation transformer from Super Cornan and was worried the Transformer buzzing would make the wife complain.

If you have time and some spare cash.

These little experiments are fun and mainly cheap. Some people collect fancy cables or expensive light bulbs for thier valve amps. In retrospect Cornan could have a more expensive Amp Dac But this underlying improvement can stay for years as the framework for many good Amps Dacs.

Tinkering is fun and it gives back to the community with hard learning.

I spent more than I should but at least one other was helped and that's nice when you can only ask and not give.

Helping people is great as you all win.

Old Cornan is one reason I like it here.

Nice people makes a hard life that bit easier. And we all are lucky having what we have.

Sorry procrastination is a bad habit I have.

Have fun all

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Do the grounding boxes that have more than one connector, have all the connectors connected to one copper plate or is there a separate copper plates for each connector? Also any reason not to hard wire to box instead of using connectors?

The Entreq Tellus have copper wires that is connected to a thin copper plate in contact with all of the copper wires (visable on the link that I posted earlier). The bigger the box is the more tourmaline, clear quartz and copper plates you will need. It is important to keep a safe distance between the connectors to minimize interfearences.

If I would build a grounding box with several connectors I would most certainly build two-layer wooden walls inside the big box and use one copper plate per compartment. It is important to have a air space inbetween the two-layer walls to separate the compartments. Why you might ask? Because you will then be able to ground both digital and analogue devices with the same box. With no two-layer wooden walls with air space inbetween you would need to have one box for digital devices and one box for analogue devices. Remember that a grounding box requires a lot of tourmaline & clear quartz and that sand is better to use than rocks, since the properties of the stones do not reduce effeciancy by size.

Grounding two "things" with one box is not really recommended at all...even if it is possible. There is a quite high risk of creating ground loops by doing so.

I hope that helps! :)

I only got the DC blocker as I got the tip of trying a balanced isolation transformer from Super Cornan and was worried the Transformer buzzing would make the wife complain.

If you have time and some spare cash.

These little experiments are fun and mainly cheap. Some people collect fancy cables or expensive light bulbs for thier valve amps. In retrospect Cornan could have a more expensive Amp Dac But this underlying improvement can stay for years as the framework for many good Amps Dacs.

Tinkering is fun and it gives back to the community with hard learning.

I spent more than I should but at least one other was helped and that's nice when you can only ask and not give.

Helping people is great as you all win.

Old Cornan is one reason I like it here.

Nice people makes a hard life that bit easier. And we all are lucky having what we have.

Sorry procrastination is a bad habit I have.

Have fun all

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Thanks Dave! :)

Spot on! The great things with good tweaks is that they usually can stay there waiting for which ever DAC/AMP you may afford in the future.

I would certainly love to have a even better one...but since I only use Tidal as my one and only source I will most likely stay put with it for quite a while longer. The Pioneer U-05 have many advantages compared to other choises. Firstly it is self-powered and I can use it as a preamp with balanced outputs. It have also balanced headphone outputs. Not too many all-in-one-box out there with same choises.

When I change it will most likely be to a Auralic Altair or similar. Just have to rob a bank first! ;)

MS Visio, is the standard, but I imagine there of plenty of others:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/5-best-free-alternatives-to-microsoft-visio/

Guys which software do you use to create your nice system topologies? I know I can do it using Powerpoint but it is not the most efficient

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update of what i'm running now, to establish a base reference.

The previous 2kVA isolation transformer was changed out with a 1000VA Topaz isolation transformer, after a UPS. Any common mode noise is killed by this transformer, so there should be none by the time the audio components see it after the balanced transformer. The online UPS provides protection from any AC nasties on the line side.

The Icron USB extender has a higher spec SMPS for now, a Siemens Sitop, with about as low a 3mA leakage current on the AC input. If the Icron wasn't so fussy about 24V I would have used a battery and regulator, however the noise from that maybe worse.

The results speak for themselves, I never had such stage height ever from digital audio, it's really close to the DP-720 player, some 60cm above the tweeter line. Not that much depth though, perhaps cabling or a JCAT card might do the trick to get the noise down further.

Without the Intona, the DAC sounds very ordinary, gritty and zero stage height. Instruments are difficult to distinguish , so could class this as typically veiled and horrible! Having the Intona just ahead of the DAC instead of the Icron, reduces the loading on the Icron's LEX unit, there's plenty at the other end, some 500mA per USB port from the REX.

I could have used the LanRover, but the dedicated cable was already installed. Very happy with this setup.

170216 Simple USB Extension.jpg

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Nice setup One and a half! :)

I have done some changes myself, so I will post a revised image here. This time I have changed my setup primarly due to WAF. I have shortened the fuchsia coloured fiber-optical cable by 9 meters with a little help of a TP-Link RE450 (1750 AC) in wireless adapter mode (ie. wireless bridge/media mode and what ever the manufactorers like to call it). With 5Ghz only, static IP and DHCP off it was´nt the trade-off that I initially thought. The sound became a tad softer without loosing out in any other parameters as far as I can tell so far. I'm happy and the hatchet is buried...for now! :)

Cornan - revised spagetti image.jpg

Nice setup One and a half! :)

I have done some changes myself, so I will post a revised image here. This time I have changed my setup primarly due to WAF. I have shortened the fuchsia coloured fiber-optical cable by 9 meters with a little help of a TP-Link RE450 (1750 AC) in wireless adapter mode (ie. wireless bridge/media mode and what ever the manufactorers like to call it). With 5Ghz only, static IP and DHCP off it was´nt the trade-off that I initially thought. The sound became a tad softer without loosing out in any other parameters as far as I can tell so far. I'm happy and the hatchet is buried...for now! :)

All the power supplies make me dizzy! Good luck with them all :)

All the power supplies make me dizzy! Good luck with them all :)

*Haha* It might look more complicated than it is IRL! :D Considering that I switch off the power distributor to the the battery chargers, completely disconnect all 4 chargers from the batteries plus now and then lift 2 USB GND wires before even listening to music I'll guess some people may get headache just thinking about that effort. Not me! It is actually a very quick proceedure and well worth it in terms of SQ. :)

*Haha* It might look more complicated than it is IRL! :D Considering that I switch off the power distributor to the the battery chargers, completely disconnect all 4 chargers from the batteries plus now and then lift 2 USB GND wires before even listening to music I'll guess some people may get headache just thinking about that effort. Not me! It is actually a very quick proceedure and well worth it in terms of SQ. :)

Cornan I do something similar as well before I listen as I still don't have a dedicated mains line. I switch off the TV, lights and my wife's treadmill. I noticed that I need to completely disconnect the TV and my home theater sub as I can bear a slight buzzing noise in my tweeters even if they are switched off.

Cornan I do something similar as well before I listen as I still don't have a dedicated mains line. I switch off the TV, lights and my wife's treadmill. I noticed that I need to completely disconnect the TV and my home theater sub as I can bear a slight buzzing noise in my tweeters even if they are switched off.

I hope your wife is somewhere else when you turn off that threadmill moussaobeid! :D

Jokes aside, I actually do that as well on rare occations when I am home alone at night. I turn off the lights plus TV:s, Apple TV+Chromecast to ensure maximum enjoyment during the late hours.

Here's an update of what i'm running now, to establish a base reference.

The previous 2kVA isolation transformer was changed out with a 1000VA Topaz isolation transformer, after a UPS. Any common mode noise is killed by this transformer, so there should be none by the time the audio components see it after the balanced transformer. The online UPS provides protection from any AC nasties on the line side.

The Icron USB extender has a higher spec SMPS for now, a Siemens Sitop, with about as low a 3mA leakage current on the AC input. If the Icron wasn't so fussy about 24V I would have used a battery and regulator, however the noise from that maybe worse.

The results speak for themselves, I never had such stage height ever from digital audio, it's really close to the DP-720 player, some 60cm above the tweeter line. Not that much depth though, perhaps cabling or a JCAT card might do the trick to get the noise down further.

Without the Intona, the DAC sounds very ordinary, gritty and zero stage height. Instruments are difficult to distinguish , so could class this as typically veiled and horrible! Having the Intona just ahead of the DAC instead of the Icron, reduces the loading on the Icron's LEX unit, there's plenty at the other end, some 500mA per USB port from the REX.

I could have used the LanRover, but the dedicated cable was already installed. Very happy with this setup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33284[/ATTACH]

Re the lack of depth, have you tried using the DP720 as the DAC to eliminate that variable? Thanks for the post!

Re the lack of depth, have you tried using the DP720 as the DAC to eliminate that variable? Thanks for the post!

Yes, I tried the DP-720 usb (192 max) and the coax, the MPD-3 is better in that regard. For dsd playback, the 720 still wins with low frequency resolution from SACD , it's very controlled and smooth.

If the height is there, something tells me the depth will take some more work, but not sure where to start.

Yes, I tried the DP-720 usb (192 max) and the coax, the MPD-3 is better in that regard. For dsd playback, the 720 still wins with low frequency resolution from SACD , it's very controlled and smooth.

If the height is there, something tells me the depth will take some more work, but not sure where to start.

rb2013 over on Headfi uses some of the same components as you:

USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)

man cave audio connections.jpg

This is my current configuration. The Radial DI is not in place but I may add it to get rid of a minor RFI issue that affects the subwoofer only. The Tube DAC-09 and the TP60 both have two pairs of line-level inputs so I can run the digital sources through a tube stage if I wish. Loudspeakers are all homebuilt. The receiver and the two power amps are powered by a Torus Power RM 20 RK. The DACs, the Blu-ray player and the tape deck are powered by a Torus Power RM 2.5 RK. The satellite receiver and the rest of the system components are powered by a homebuilt 1000VA balanced power supply built around a Plitron transformer. Probably not a typical Computer Audiophile system (if there is such a thing) but it sounds really good.

Diagram done with Windows Snipping Tool, the Paint utility in Windows 7 and Excel.

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

MacBook Pro--Sierra--optical output cable-->

Raspberry Pi 2--Pixel--USB output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

--Denon AH-A100 headphones

man cave audio connections.jpg

Corrected the diagram - output from tape deck is line-level, not optical.

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

MacBook Pro--Sierra--optical output cable-->

Raspberry Pi 2--Pixel--USB output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

--Denon AH-A100 headphones