IGNORED

Post Your System Topology - It Might Help Others To Improve Their Systems

r_w

ok... Vinnie Rossi's Mini Pure-DC-4evr power supply delivered a couple of hours ago and already at work powering the Aries :)

all I can say is **WOW**: my system never was *this* crystal clear!!!

a clear improvement even over the JS-2 :-0

(and so far I've only been streaming, lossless, from Qobuz ;) )

the PS itself, though, is not totally silent: hums a little :-/ (can't hear it, though, when music plays)

maybe... label says 220v, but I'm actually closer to 230 here. or maybe it has to settle down :-|

contacted Vinnie to see if this is normal indeed (hope it's not) and will report. fingers crossed

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

ok... Vinnie Rossi's Mini Pure-DC-4evr power supply delivered a couple of hours ago and already at work powering the Aries :)

all I can say is **WOW**: my system never was *this* crystal clear!!!

a clear improvement even over the JS-2 :-0

(and so far I've only been streaming, lossless, from Qobuz ;) )

the PS itself, though, is not totally silent: hums a little :-/ (can't hear it, though, when music plays)

maybe... label says 220v, but I'm actually closer to 230 here. or maybe it has to settle down :-|

contacted Vinnie to see if this is normal indeed (hope it's not) and will report. fingers crossed

Great news pl_svn! :)

I am envious of your Vinnie Rossi Mini. You should take a listen to Jean-Michel Jarre's newly released album "Oxygene 3" and enjoy your new SQ to the full! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

SSSSHHHHHHTTTTT!!!! :mad:

:P

listening to Susanne Abbuehl's "The Gift" now ;)

her voice, a piano, a trumpet... cymbals now and then: all just gently whispering and barely coming out from complete silence :)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

SSSSHHHHHHTTTTT!!!! :mad:[emoji14]

listening to Susanne Abbuehl's "The Gift" now ;)

her voice, a piano, a trumpet... cymbals now and then: all just gently whispering and barely coming out from complete silence :)

Arrrgh! Please make it gently on me! I am a very fragile person when it comes to good Vinni Rossi Mini news. Only due to personal budget related issues though! ? I will be sure to check out Susanne Abbuehl if you promise to listen to Sarah Jarosz "Undercurrent" without letting me know anything about how good that sounds! ?

 I will be sure to check out Susanne Abbuehl if you promise to listen to Sarah Jarosz "Undercurrent" without letting me know anything about how good that sounds!

added to play queue twothumbs.gif

and won't say a word: promised! :P

headphones system:

well... even without Vinnie Rossi that's the kind of music my system excels at ;)

Live at the Troubadour, btw, even though not hi-res sounds even better :P

Next up Michel Godard's "Monteverdi" :)

jokes apart... this PS is indeed phenomenal! expensive, though :(

and the Aries reacts very well at better PSs :)

headphones system:

well... even without Vinnie Rossi that's the kind of music my system excels at ;)

Live at the Troubadour, btw, even though not hi-res sounds even better[emoji14]

Next up Michel Godard's "Monteverdi" :)

jokes apart... this PS is indeed phenomenal! expensive, though :(

and the Aries reacts very well at better PSs :)

True! I actually thought that Tidal had started with MQA when I first heard that album. An amazing quality recording! ?

:)

headphones system:

Here's my first shot at this. Both my digital sources are isolated from the AC by either ultracapactiors (LPS-1 for the microRendu) or by battery+ ultracapactiors (Chord Hugo TT).

No special care is taken for the devices outside my listening room including a Mac Pro (running Roon Server) and a Synology NAS (hosting my music files).

Feedback welcome.

Diagram.jpg

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Great thread! Here's my topology:

topology-udis.gif

I am open to suggestions regarding better utilizing my JS-2. As you can see, it's driving one FMC and nothing else. I've considered bringing the sT into the listening area and powering it with the JS-2. Also, open to your thoughts on how to minimize/eliminate the Ubiquiti switch as this switch is very noisy with network activity (4 dropcams / HD Streaming / 2 nest thermostats / 4 AP).

thanks.

Very nice thread ! Thanks r_w !

My topology is in my signature ; hoping that it doesn't look too messy... :-)

Setup is "simple" :

an Optical LAN => 2 players => basic audio processing => passive bi-amplification based on 2 FDAs (Full Digital Amplifiers) => speakers

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

At OP's request from another thread, here is a picture of my system topology.

Some context:

This topology has been the subject of intense optimization with isolation tweaks on several fronts (USB, network, power). What is shown is the current optimum, but this picture will likely change over time.

One thing to note specially is the position of the LPS-1 in the chain. It is counter to where many experts (and myself) thought it would fit best - which is, powering the W4 Recovery (aka RUR). Instead, the LPS-1's biggest, and most delightful impact, came when placed as shown powering the downstream FMC.

I'm still scratching my head on that one, but it does underscore the point that there is no substitute to experimentation in your own system to find the optimum topology.

Picture1.png

One thing to note specially is the position of the LPS-1 in the chain. It is counter to where many experts (and myself) thought it would fit best - which is, powering the W4 Recovery (aka RUR). Instead, the LPS-1's biggest, and most delightful impact, came when placed as shown powering the downstream FMC.

I'm still scratching my head on that one, but it does underscore the point that there is no substitute to experimentation in your own system to find the optimum topology.

The Intona likely reduces the amount of leakage current entering via the RUR's power supply to below the amount that had been entering via the FMC's. Very interesting and exactly the right conclusion. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 1 month later...
My DAC don't need 5V Power. I tried to use second Vbus2 after Regen, but found it has a negative influence for SQ. My DIY grounding conditioner is a large flower pot fulfilled with 10kg od bentonite. Inside there are 5 Cooper springs, and I connect them to 6 gears.

Hi Trabb

Can you pls share how you connect your gear to the grounding box. Which connectors you use and what wires. Thanks

Hi moussaobeid !

First of all, I built grounding box by myself. I use 2,5mm thick standard copper electric wires. I personally use about 3m long wire. 2 meters of that wire I switch into a spring and put it into a jar filled with bentonite. On the other side of the wire I put a spade for example if I want to connect it to the amplifier, or I try other options depending on where I want it be connected.

Hi Trabb

Can you pls share how you connect your gear to the grounding box. Which connectors you use and what wires. Thanks

Hi moussaobeid !

First of all, I built grounding box by myself. I use 2,5mm thick standard copper electric wires. I personally use about 3m long wire. 2 meters of that wire I switch into a spring and put it into a jar filled with bentonite. On the other side of the wire I put a spade for example if I want to connect it to the amplifier, or I try other options depending on where I want it be connected.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Grounding is a new topic for me and I am reading more about it before I attempt to do anything

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Grounding is a new topic for me and I am reading more about it before I attempt to do anything

Grounding boxes are really great if you use shielded cables. It brings music to life. However, I have noticed that after removing the shields, reduced system grounding to one path and adding isolation transformer I have slowly moved my Entreq Minimus to spots with cable shields and no galvanicly isolation. Now when my setup is 100% isolated my Minimus have moved to my easy listening area. This is actually something I never though would occur. I thought it would stay for good.

Bottom line: unshielded cables and galvanic isolation improves the same things as grounding boxes. I didn't realize until recently. I had great use for the grounding boxes to actually evaluate were improvements were needed and when all done it only makes things a tiny bit worse. However, I still have use for it in my secondary system and will also try to connect it to the safety ground and see if it can stay there on my primary setup.

Could you please illustrate by photos or point to a how to guide ? I'm very interested but wouldn't like to cause any damage ! And I just found a whole big roll of thick copper

Hi moussaobeid !