IGNORED

Post Your System Topology - It Might Help Others To Improve Their Systems

r_w

Hi pl_svn,

I have 6 small floating secondary isolation transformers 3 - 125 watts and 3 - 250 watts. Each are plugged into the BP30. This way everything on the bps30 is isolated from each other, with the Amp the only component plugged directly. My amp has a switch to float it's secondary as well.

In a prior iteration I had the bps30 plugged into a 1500 watt isolation transformer with a floating secondary. Removing the big transformer enhanced sound quality.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

hi Larry

so... which was my worry... the BP-30 can handle 1000W, right?

(sorry I'm not good at math in general and I'm totally lost when it comes to v, W, VA, A :P )

--

paolo ( <- btw ;) )

oh, and... what comes out of an IT plugged into a balanced one... is still balanced?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Paolo,

The BP30 handles 1000 watts of current. You have your highest current devices already plugged into the BP30, so the addition of the JS-2 current draw should not be a big deal. Worst case, if the JS-2 draws is too much the BP30 fuse should blow.

And no, the output of a standard IT plugged into a non-balanced transformer is not balanced. Clean, but not balanced. The small ITs prevent backwash into other devices plugged into the BP30.

Just for grins, I recently pulled all the isolation transformers and plugged everything directly into the BP30. Not good. They all went back in.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

ok, thank you Larry

I'll try plugging the JS-2 into the BP-30 once Vinnie Rossi's new LPS is here (I'll use it for the Aries so JS-2's load will be reduced by 1A at least)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

cleaned up (... cough-cough :P ) my system's scheme, moved to 1st power strip all AC devices and all LPSs to 2nd one

now waiting for Vinnie's LPS before touching anything ;)

System.jpg

headphones system:

cleaned up (... cough-cough[emoji14]) my system's scheme, moved to 1st power strip all AC devices and all LPSs to 2nd one

now waiting for Vinnie's LPS before touching anything ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31020[/ATTACH]

Nice Paolo! :) Did you notice any SQ improvements or not by that change?

/Micael

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

will report in (hopefully) a couple of weeks, Michael

as I wrote Vinnie's LPS is not here yet so the Aries is, at the moment, powered by the JS-2 and the 2Qute DAC by the HD-Plex

I'm already very happy, though, with what I'm hearing :)

headphones system:

will report in (hopefully) a couple of weeks, Michael

as I wrote Vinnie's LPS is not here yet so the Aries is, at the moment, powered by the JS-2 and the 2Qute DAC by the HD-Plex

I'm already very happy, though, with what I'm hearing :)

Please report back when you've received that Vinnie Rossi Mini. It would be very interesting to know how that turns out!

Enjoy! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31038[/ATTACH]

Sorry, I cannot get my file properly placed. If you enlarge it, should be ok.

I appreciate any comments to improve SQ in my system !

Hi Trabb! I would try to plug the LPS-1 into the hi-fi grade power strip. Even though it is a DC device plus have a SMPS it is isolated and "should" be better off in a better audio environment. Also try to separate TV and router from audio with another filtered powerstrip.

Of course there is always the option to change all SMPS to LPSs or BPSs (one or the other & one/device...especially the ones used for audio) plus getting a balanced transformer or isolation transformer with floating secondary...but that would cost you a considerable sum.

🎛️  Audio System  

Cornan, thank you :) I will try to replace my LPS-1 power strip. Hope you don't mind, I ordered Peaktech 2240 :) to give it a try, and it seems I have the option to send it back if I wouldn't be satisfied.

I'm going to use it with laptop or DAC or Amplifier.

Some people had positive results avoiding fuses in audio gear with silver made bar instead, or a bar made of copper. It is very dangerous, I now. Can cause fire or damage to your audio gear, or both of course. I just wonder if a separation transformer is used, let's say wit DAC, maybe it is a bit safer than. But this subject is, let me say, mentioned "off the record".

Hi Trabb! I would try to plug the LPS-1 into the hi-fi grade power strip. Even though it is a DC device plus have a SMPS it is isolated and "should" be better off in a better audio environment. Also try to separate TV and router from audio with another filtered powerstrip.

Of course there is always the option to change all SMPS to LPSs or BPSs (one or the other & one/device...especially the ones used for audio) plus getting a balanced transformer or isolation transformer with floating secondary...but that would cost you a considerable sum.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31040[/ATTACH]

Yes, yes, yes. I did it !

Updated with my DIY grounding conditioner. Please feel free to comment, up to now your suggestions were superb :)

Nice to see the external grounding there as well! :) My only other notes would be that that I'll need to see that DIY grounding conditioner for further suggestions and I'll also need to know if your DAC requires 5v USB power or not to be able to give you more suggestions.

Anyway, external grounding box needs to be huge to be connected to so many devices from one single box. You also need to make sure to ground digital chain separate to analogue. If your DAC do not require 5v USB power the world is opened for 2-wire USB cables (ie. 3-wire USB cables with GND lift) giving the optimal USB performance IMO.

🎛️  Audio System  

Cornan, thank you :) I will try to replace my LPS-1 power strip. Hope you don't mind, I ordered Peaktech 2240 :) to give it a try, and it seems I have the option to send it back if I wouldn't be satisfied.

I'm going to use it with laptop or DAC or Amplifier.

Some people had positive results avoiding fuses in audio gear with silver made bar instead, or a bar made of copper. It is very dangerous, I now. Can cause fire or damage to your audio gear, or both of course. I just wonder if a separation transformer is used, let's say wit DAC, maybe it is a bit safer than. But this subject is, let me say, mentioned "off the record".

Ofcourse I don't mind! Just enjoy it. I know that I do! :)

Well, I am NOT recomending a bar made of copper or silver to replace a fuse...ESPECIALLY not on a iso transformer! Extremely dangerous! Go for a proper hi-fi grade fuse as I did instead. AHP fuses are not that expensive!

🎛️  Audio System  

Nice to see the external grounding there as well! :) My only other notes would be that that I'll need to see that DIY grounding conditioner for further suggestions and I'll also need to know if your DAC requires 5v USB power or not to be able to give you more suggestions.

Anyway, external grounding box needs to be huge to be connected to so many devices from one single box. You also need to make sure to ground digital chain separate to analogue. If your DAC do not require 5v USB power the world is opened for 2-wire USB cables (ie. 3-wire USB cables with GND lift) giving the optimal USB performance IMO.

My DAC don't need 5V Power. I tried to use second Vbus2 after Regen, but found it has a negative influence for SQ. My DIY grounding conditioner is a large flower pot fulfilled with 10kg od bentonite. Inside there are 5 Cooper springs, and I connect them to 6 gears.
My DAC don't need 5V Power. I tried to use second Vbus2 after Regen, but found it has a negative influence for SQ. My DIY grounding conditioner is a large flower pot fulfilled with 10kg od bentonite. Inside there are 5 Cooper springs, and I connect them to 6 gears.

Well, Vbus2 with hard adapter is not a good combo. If you know how to solder USB cables you could quite easy make your own short cables with twisted pair mundorf gold silver wires for data+&- with unbleached cotton or silk sleevings and Audience hook-up wires for GND wire (slightly longer) with a DC male & female for GND lift. It will sound better than any other USB cable or hard adapter.

If I were you I would fill two pots with 5kg each and connect digital devices to one pot and analogue devices to the other.

🎛️  Audio System  

Thanks for your input John! :)

Here is a revised spagetti image with a better view over the wireless connections. I am using BubbleDS Next as my control point app for my Aries Mini and in order for it to work you´ll have to setup the wireless connection with the iOS LightningDS app. I setup my Aries Mini with the routers 5G connection and click to forget 5G on all other wireless devices in the household. My Nexus 7 Gen 2 tablet is the only wireless device which are using the 5G-EXT connection to the wireless extender. In fact no other device connected to the wireless extender at all...and I intend to keep it that way. Using this approach is the best sounding wireless option IMO.

/Micael

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30943[/ATTACH]

I have just ordered a TP-Link RE450 AC1750 wireless range extender to do a little experiment. Since the control point to wireless ac extender improves SQ quite a bit...why would'nt a second wireless ac extender to Aries Mini be a even better SQ option? I intend to find out. I have'nt got a clue WHY...but I still have to know IF! ;) Anyway, I'll keep you all posted! :)

Just for notes! I have excellent WiFi reception in my open designed apartment...so the experiment is NOT due to better coverage...just curiosity if minimizing the routers workload will bring better SQ to the table.

🎛️  Audio System  

Micael... I wasn't using an Aries, back then, but just a (AirPort) wi-fi connection between my Mac mini and NAS

the minute I switched to wired... WOW!!! :) and never, ever, thought about going back to wireless

YMMV ;)

headphones system:

Micael... I wasn't using an Aries, back then, but just a (AirPort) wi-fi connection between my Mac mini and NAS

the minute I switched to wired... WOW!!! :) and never, ever, thought about going back to wireless

YMMMV ;)

Paolo! I know several people like @austinpop and others are telling me the same thing. I have tried wired with any Cat-numbers possible from 5 to 8 but still prefer wireless. With passive ethernet isolators it was a close call..but I still preferred wireless in my own setup. I cannot tell you why..because I dunno! I can only tell you that it sounds best for me...but the wireless access have to be exclusive for each device (control point + streamer) and no other device must ever use the 5g connection...period. Another important thing to keep in mind is that I listen 100% to Tidal. No high res, DSD or what ever. Might be a different story if I did..but I am 100% satisfied with the SQ...so why change? ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

I might want explain my "obsession" to wireless. There is several reasons why except for what my own ears tells me. First of all wireless is the only true transparent way to send an audio signal to another destination. Cables, fibers etc will all give their own signature to the sound. Why not fibers some will ask? Just because they add DC power supplies to the chain...and power supplies not do any good to the final result. It is in fact the same thing with grounding. It is in the absent of cables, ground and power supplies (were possible) that you will find audio nirvana. Ofcourse this is my personal beliefs and my personal quest. YMMV! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

I might want explain my "obsession" to wireless. There is several reasons why except for what my own ears tells me. First of all wireless is the only true transparent way to send an audio signal to another destination. Cables, fibers etc will all give their own signature to the sound. Why not fibers some will ask? Just because they add DC power supplies to the chain...and power supplies not do any good to the final result. It is in fact the same thing with grounding. It is in the absent of cables, ground and power supplies (were possible) that you will find audio nirvana. Ofcourse this is my personal beliefs and my personal quest. YMMV! :)

🎛️  Audio System