IGNORED

B&W 805 D3 vs. N804

Hi all. I'm torn on this one: I moved back from a house in countryside to an apartment in downtown Tokyo. Obviously my B&W N804 (from 2000, purchased as second hand in 2007) are a bit oversized now, I could keep them or move to the new latest-and-greatest 805 D3. The 804 D3 are not an option now, it would be a waste in my apartment (68m2 in total).

I would love to hear your opinion: I heard the 805 D3 which sounded extremely nice. I don't think I will move back anytime soon to a house: do you think I'd better keep my Nautilus 804 or that the timing is now good to move to the latest generation? Thanks.

Music style: mostly classic (symphonies or piano), then rock & jazz.

I would definitely go with the 805 D3's. If you later want more extended bass, you can always add a subwoofer.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Thank you both for the feedback. Yes, it seems that there's a lot to win, but switching to a smaller body just frightens me.

If the N804's are going to be too large for your room, you may have problems trying to get a smooth bass response in the room. A smaller speaker with less bass MAY integrate better but there is no way to know for sure until you get the speakers into the room. Also, if you will be forced to sit closer to the speakers than you're used to, you may not be able to achieve a coherent sound from the multiway system. There is a reason that small two-way speakers work so well in small rooms.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

If the N804's are going to be too large for your room, you may have problems trying to get a smooth bass response in the room. A smaller speaker with less bass MAY integrate better but there is no way to know for sure until you get the speakers into the room. Also, if you will be forced to sit closer to the speakers than you're used to, you may not be able to achieve a coherent sound from the multiway system. There is a reason that small two-way speakers work so well in small rooms.

Agreed.