IGNORED

DG releases through CD Japan

I would like to enjoy more classical releases, really enjoy Beethoven and Mahler. What I'm unsure of are so many releases but which orchestra and conductor would stand out among the crowd (talking from prog rock, an popular music veteran here).

Next month CD Japan will release DG, notable SACD from Karajan. I read on these pages, the latter Karajan was bettered, but releases from the 60-70's were his prime. If this is the case are there some gems from October's release?

Page 1

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The SACDs on top of the list are re-pressings of SACD releases made around 2004 in Japan, with DG, Decca and Philips recordings. This time as SHM-SACDs. These were mastered from the early 2000s 24/96 archival transfers of the Universal Classics analogue catalogue (i.e. transfers made on an industrial scale).

Here are two of the original releases:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2694

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2682

So what you get is old PCM transfers converted to DSD 10 years ago. In terms of mastering quality, these are not the last word.

From 2012 onwards, SHM-SACDs with DG and Decca material (different titles than those reissues) were newly transfered from the analogue tapes to DSD. It would be nice if they continued with these reissues (preferably DSD downloads rather than expensive SHM-SACDs)

Claude

I would like to enjoy more classical releases, really enjoy Beethoven and Mahler. What I'm unsure of are so many releases but which orchestra and conductor would stand out among the crowd (talking from prog rock, an popular music veteran here).

Next month CD Japan will release DG, notable SACD from Karajan. I read on these pages, the latter Karajan was bettered, but releases from the 60-70's were his prime. If this is the case are there some gems from October's release?

Page 1

There are 14 pages of Karajan's recordings there, I looked through first one only. R.Strauss' Also Sprach... with Vienna PO (Decca) is one not to miss, imo.

Page 1

Why pay 42 dollars per album when some of these and lots of others from CD Japan,already are available as HI RES downloads 24/96?

The best example of Karajan in his prime is the 24/96 mega-download,around 15 hours of music, of Wagner´s Der Ring des Nibelungen which if you are a member at Qobuz sells for roughly 40 dollars !

I am not subscribing, but even at just under 67 €, it still counts as my best download this year.

Sublime music very well played and sung and masterly conducted by Karajan in SQ that shows little of its age ranging from 1966 to 1970.

Musically I rate this set better than Solti´s and at least Das Rheingold and Siegfried even rival DECCA for SQ.

Not to be missed imho.