IGNORED

Icron - An exellent solution!

Good evening everybody,

After reading so many posts on various forums about isolation of music server (PC or Mac) and all pros and cons, I've stumble upon something very interesting...

For a long time now I see my audio system and planning to build one as a Fiber Optic network oriented and thus isolated from regular and every day used "copper" network. there are many benefits: we all know that Fiber Optic network/cable is not susceptible to any kind of interference - RFI/EMI, two very important factors in audio and by construction any Fiber OPtic cable shouldn't have any "sound signature" and by that be out of "equation" of components/cables-wise.

On ts and other forums a "new thig" is, among other things are various types of "reclockers", "regenerators" and "extenders" for USB audio devices - DAC's. First thing I liked was INTONA - great device and excellent solution.. red about it a lot and everybody that use to have one gave nothing but great review.. then it was LANRover from PS Audio - That thing I liked even more - great idea - two box design, great galvanic isolation plus option to play with type of RJ45 cable types and manufacturers... But then I've found something really great - ICRON!

USB Extenders for Long Distances

Icron is also a two box solution and according to their site, they are producing this type of extenders for at least 5-6 years so one could go and figure... They make their products as OEM for other manufacturers..

I saw Icron as a final and great solution for what I need and see as a part of what I'm planning to build in a near future.

Model that I've particulary looked at is Icron 2224 USB extender (Multi-mode fiber). On this and other forum there vas problem that some members had with LANRover regarding drivers for their DAC's and handshake with LR. That IS a serious problem and render LR useless plus it wasn't a final solution for me ( not Fiber Optic solution that I wanted)...

So, I've pulled a trigger on ICRON 2224.

Extend USB 2.0 over Long Distances (500m) with the 2224

So, as a device this is a two box solution ( LEX- Local Extender and REX-Remote Extender) where, even though, both have option to be powered externally, only REX has its own SMPS. LEX is powered from PC but you can add another for LEX like I did (Ifi Ipower SMPS) or go for LPS.

As I'm writing this, Icron is at some 250 hours of burning-in and sound is - W O W!!! Everything is Different! My system sounds absolutely different! Same but in the same time quite different... Bass is more prominent, deeper, sharper, focused... Vocals are better.. cymbals sound much more realistic, less hissing.. more decay.. 3D imaging is way much better than it was before... every nuance, every tone, all those "background sounds" that was barely noticeable before Icron in my system are now so noticeable... I'm still in some kind of shock! this is a new "audio component" in any way!

All I can say is that I cannot recommend this thing enough! Changes Icron did in my system are amazing!

I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Edition with Audiophile Optimizer in ultimate-core mode. For those who don't know there is an option where you can choose, among the other things, to turn off "Plug'n'Play" which I always do - Icron still works perfectly! PC and DAC doesn't see Icron at all - It acts as a cable! Wonderful, right?

Even though I'm not a good reviewer ( I'm ESL-type-of-a-guy) I wanted to share this great experience of mine with all of you and I hope there will be another happy user of this great product

Sent from my SM-N920V using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I've been using the Icron 2212 USB extender using CAT5e cable since May 2013. I find the Icron totally transparent to the USB transmission and USB being the way it is does require experimentation to weed out the weevils. I was often tempted on the FO solution, but the price was quite high and USB was far from perfect and needed more hardware to tame it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Yes, you are right but we all know that computers/ Mobos are very noisy thing that wasn't designed for audio, so Fiber Optic, as a very good galvanic isolation looks like very good approach in solving that issue... And, yes, price is high, but in every system there are components that we going to keep more than other so it worth investing in them.

PS = power supply

Oh, you got me confused for a moment.

Yes you are right but right now there is no room in my rack for anything else regarding components so I had to settle down with a pair of iFi iPower SMPS... Anyway they are plugged in PSA P10 and readings the "THD Out" readings are yhe same like before them so for now they will stay... as soon as I reorganize my rack or get different one I'll start dealing with that... I've already got DC Barelles for LEX and REX :-)

• 1 month later...
I've been using the Icron 2212 USB extender using CAT5e cable since May 2013. I find the Icron totally transparent to the USB transmission and USB being the way it is does require experimentation to weed out the weevils. I was often tempted on the FO solution, but the price was quite high and USB was far from perfect and needed more hardware to tame it.

Is it only transparent extender for you or would you say it can "improve" SQ (by providing galvanic isolation and by regenerating USB signal like Intona USB Isolator) so that SQ is better with than without Icron in between?

• 1 year later...

Hi
I am not from the Audio Stuff but I have an similar Problem. Its noise over an Electric Cable. In my case I will receive Signals from an "Radio" Receiver who cover the hole Amateur Radio Band. The Problem with existing Technology is the are creating noise like an Raspberry Pi2 and that reduce the received Packed. ? I searched a lot online and I found an IT Distributor who offer Products from "icron". So I saw that here some people talk about there Products.

So my Question is can someone who own a icron USB -> Fiber Set Test something for me?

Thanks