IGNORED

3D Audio Thread

IMO the biggest bang for the buck upgrade available in audio or HT is 3D audio. Scour the net and read the experiences of those who have tried Atmos, DTS-X and Auro 3D, you just won't find a bad review. the limitation today is the availability (and expense) of software. If you collect BRD movies you may want to wait a year or two before investing. All of these codecs have upmixers to transform any 2 channel source into immersive audio.

I have 0 native content in any of these codecs but will buy some as new titles get released. It still sounds much better than stereo or dolby digital. As far as speaker layout I advise you to choose the layout that enables you to use the best direct radiating speakers available. The best choice would be speakers that match your bed channels. barring that if I were shopping today I would evaluate these for both SQ and flexible placement options.

SVS Prime Elevation Speaker – Official Page for World’s Most Versatile Home Theater Speaker

Control CRV Series Products | JBL Professional

As far as choosing a processor you may as well choose one that enables all 3 codecs. My favorite is Auro 3D but YMMV.

So if you are using any 3D audio setup feel free to post your experience or ask any questions if you are getting a new setup.

Recalling this configuration video for newbies, supplementing your Posts :

I found the easiest way for me to upgrade and try immersive audio was Auro 3D. First, I already had 4 matching speakers I could use for height channels. next, I could place them on tall stands in the appropriate locations, no drilling holes in my ceiling required. Finally, I like the idea of using height channels that are real bookshelf speakers.

I use the auromatic upmixer exclusively. I feed it 192/24 PCM from my asus xonar u7 sound card.

The results are spectacular. I have never experienced a more "live" sounding 3d soundstage with music and movies sound MUCH more dynamic than with the atmos upmixer. The atmos upmixer is good but maybe because I have an auro layout auro just sounds better. I use the marantz 7702 processor and the upgrade to auro was way worth the $200.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29123[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29124[/ATTACH]

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Speaking of Atmos, recalling claim of first... :

In this exclusive SoundWorks Collection video we talk with the sound and music team behind Director Nimród Antal's, Metallica Through the Never, a groundbreaking music-driven 3-D motion picture event. Interviews include Re-recording Mixer Jeff Haboush, Re-recording Mixer Rick Kline, Sound Designer Mark Mangini, Music Producer Greg Fidelman, and Supervising Music Mixer Joseph Magee.

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »