IGNORED

Listen to cable directionality

esldude

Has anyone experimented with DAC placement?

I mean, can a DAC sound different depending on whether it's been placed on the shelf above or below the amplifier?

I ask this because I thought that perhaps gravity might help with conductivity, and this could be a good or a bad thing depending on the system... :)

R

Just make sure it isn't exposed to too much vibration from the speakers, as it may affect Xtal stability.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

They all sounded really nice on my system, nothing more to add.

I made my own cables from the 100m reel of balanced solid silver cable I bought which has no markings so at least that manufacturer - who ever they were - didn't concern themselves with directionality.

This experiment clarifies for me, If I'm using my wires the wrong way round, I couldn't care less.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Is anybody able to hear any difference between the attached, and either of the track 2 versions ?

Plissken may be able to ?

Download the files (within 14 days) here:

https://fil.email/LJH8l

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

semente, I have experimented with DAC placement and have found using an isolation system brought improvements. The one I use is from mapleshade, YMMV. This review is from a guy that used it for the turntable setup but it works with DACs, servers, etc

Vinyl Asylum: REVIEW: Mapleshade Isolation Platform Accessory by Frank_Locke

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Vibration-Control-For-Digital-Audio/products/127/

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Unfinished-15-x-12-x-2-Vibration-Control-Kit/productinfo/VCS1512EL1/

I don't see you doing any better LOL.

You know it is OK to listen and say they sound the same to you. Or is that something you are not willing to admit even if it is true?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Is anybody able to hear any difference between the attached, and either of the track 2 versions ?

Plissken may be able to ?

Download the files (within 14 days) here:

https://fil.email/LJH8l

I listened this morning Alex. It seems maybe your version has a softer more intimate quality to it. The difference I hear is very small however. Might not even be real. What is different about it?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

That's obvious but how many users are computer audiophiles? Different market

Maybe, maybe not. Android phones are computers. AQ makes headphone cables too.

Cable — AudioQuest Headphones, DACS, Digital Audio Products, and Accessories

Lots of people will use their phone as a source for cars or increasingly you can connect them via USB. Showing off some new music at a friend's house. You can in some cases just plug up your phone and play.

Been quite busy but hoping to get to this today or tomorrow.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

That sounds good. Wondered if you had tried the mono file and what you thought. It is possible a good many things could be done this way if you have some particular tests in mind.

That's obvious but how many users are computer audiophiles? Different market

My systems are modest.

So, you said Samsung Note 5 is not good enough.

I have two others options at home:

MacBook to Emotiva Stealth DAC to headset

MacBook to NAD c390dd to Paradigm Studio 10 speakers

Are they good enough for you to even attempt a listen to your test files?

My systems are modest.

Your systems sure are (if the HP are decent). The DC-1 is an awesome DAC. I just compared it to a Bel Canto and shipped the Bel Canto back. That was $500 vs $2400 mind you.

In another thread, mainly about Audioquest cables and the little arrows indicating the proper direction for the cable there was much back and forth as to whether it was audible which way a cable was oriented.

Using some AQ Diamond interconnects I recorded 5 tracks. Each has an A and B version. One version of each follows the path of the cable as suggested by AQ. One version has the cable reversed. Which is which varies from track to track. I am not posting a poll as they seem to get little participation. However you can download the zip file below and it will open into a folder with all ten tracks. See if you can hear which direction is reversed. The odds of guessing right on all five is 1 out of 32. You don't have to listen to all of course.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k37iqsb4fnsoywo/AQ%20directional%20cable%20files.zip?dl=0

Now the bonus version just for Jud though anyone can listen. To overcome the limitations of echoic memory I took one track and made it mono. Duplicated the mono track left and right. Now at some point during the track cable direction in one of the two channels is reversed. Then at some point later it is reverted back to normal. See if you can hear when the reversals occur and for bonus points which channel it happened in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pezpo3ubejeaan/1%20J%20Mono.wav.zip?dl=0

I only did it for the 1st track (some Eric Clapton and John Mayall). If it is popular it could be done with some others.

Have fun, and display your hearing acuity or admit lack there of. Either way enjoy.

The only thing that the "arrow" signifies is which end the cable shield is connected to ground and which end is floating. The arrow points away from the end in which the shield is grounded to facilitate those who wish to us the "star" grounding arrangement. There should be no difference in sound when reversing a single cable. If you do a star grounding arrangement, with your entire system. There might be some audible difference.

George

The only thing that the "arrow" signifies is which end the cable shield is connected to ground and which end is floating. The arrow points away from the end in which the shield is grounded to facilitate those who wish to us the "star" grounding arrangement. There should be no difference in sound when reversing a single cable. If you do a star grounding arrangement, with your entire system. There might be some audible difference.

I get all that George. That is not what AQ says however.

There are videos and interviews where claims are made that wire sounds differently one way vs the other. One of their guys has the job of listening to each new wire spool and determining the right direction via a listening test. Says he likes to use a harmonica recording. They also put arrows on their ethernet cables and such which also makes no sense.

Sure is. The DC-1 is an awesome DAC. I just compared it to a Bel Canto and shipped the Bel Canto back. That was $500 vs $2400 mind you.

Thx! Will test it out once I am back from my trip.

Yeah, my headset is just a V-moda I got from Costco years ago for around $80, I believe.. Hope that is good enough.

I listened this morning Alex. It seems maybe your version has a softer more intimate quality to it. The difference I hear is very small however. Might not even be real. What is different about it?

Hi Dennis

I will take this to email for now. I would be interested to see if Plissken also hears a difference.

Alex

From the first link of the first post of this thread, I downloaded the stuff and listened from my laptop's integrated speakers, just casual just for fun. I wrote down my preferences, and then I re-listened again, to verify again for fun:

1. A

2. B

3. B (@ first I wrote A, but on 2nd listening I changed it to B, the only music segment I did from the five)

4. B

5. B

_____

I had fun. :)

semente, I have experimented with DAC placement and have found using an isolation system brought improvements. The one I use is from mapleshade, YMMV. This review is from a guy that used it for the turntable setup but it works with DACs, servers, etc

Vinyl Asylum: REVIEW: Mapleshade Isolation Platform Accessory by Frank_Locke

Vibration Control For Digital Audio-shop.mapleshadestore.com

Unfinished 15 x 12 x 2 Vibration Control Kit-shop.mapleshadestore.com

Probably your best answer would be to get a better DAC. It's not a transducer like a turntable and should be immune to minor floor vibrations. Spend a few bucks for a quality product. ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Hi Jud

Can you please also add my track 2a that Dennis listened to, to see if you hear any differences.

Kind Regards

Alex

D,

Just to quiet a few in the peanut gallery I gave the files a listen.

Used the two of my systems most revealing configurations with,

My Emo DC-1 DAC plugged directly into the L/R front amp

Listened on my Sennheiser HD650 headphones plugged into the DC-1 DAC

I couldn't reliably discern differences between any of the files.

Cent' Anni

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

My systems are modest.

Yes, I don't know headsets but own Paradigm Studio 20 and 40 speakers, I am sure the Studio 10's must be good, congrats!