IGNORED

Listen to cable directionality

esldude

Since I believe it's all BS, my expectation bias has already disqualified me. :)

Your the guy who claims to hear this crap.

Try listening without your bike helmet on !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Since I believe it's all BS, my expectation bias has already disqualified me. :)

Your the guy who claims to hear this crap.

While I get the joke I actually believe it explains a lot. You agree your entire system was built using a bias, therfore it makes 0 sense for you to try and upgrade because your bias will prevent you from hearing a difference any way. You should put your entire system on Ebay and just listen to something that you can save money with.

In another thread, mainly about Audioquest cables and the little arrows indicating the proper direction for the cable there was much back and forth as to whether it was audible which way a cable was oriented.

Using some AQ Diamond interconnects I recorded 5 tracks. Each has an A and B version. One version of each follows the path of the cable as suggested by AQ. One version has the cable reversed. Which is which varies from track to track. I am not posting a poll as they seem to get little participation. However you can download the zip file below and it will open into a folder with all ten tracks. See if you can hear which direction is reversed. The odds of guessing right on all five is 1 out of 32. You don't have to listen to all of course.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k37iqsb4fnsoywo/AQ%20directional%20cable%20files.zip?dl=0

Now the bonus version just for Jud though anyone can listen. To overcome the limitations of echoic memory I took one track and made it mono. Duplicated the mono track left and right. Now at some point during the track cable direction in one of the two channels is reversed. Then at some point later it is reverted back to normal. See if you can hear when the reversals occur and for bonus points which channel it happened in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pezpo3ubejeaan/1%20J%20Mono.wav.zip?dl=0

I only did it for the 1st track (some Eric Clapton and John Mayall). If it is popular it could be done with some others.

Have fun, and display your hearing acuity or admit lack there of. Either way enjoy.

Now I know what you mean about surveys, everyone has an opinion until there is a chance to be proven wrong then suddenly they don't have an opinion anymore. No guts no glory right?

Am I the only one with enough guts to take this challenge? Come on members, I'm a newbie, you senior guys need to step up. There is nothing to fear, no worries, this is a judgement free zone:) Post your preferences. Remember, you only lose if you stop trying.

I have already stated that I agree with your choice of 2a. Currently there is a lawnmower being used in the backyard.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

What's YOUR final answer? Did you give up already?

My final answer is that any differences between the tracks are so small that I'm not going to waste any time worrying about cable directionality.

Cross another one off my list! More money to spend on music!

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

This is fun, the tracks have music on them and they are all pretty good, you would like it.

I think I mentioned these in the other thread. Maybe you would like to see if you can hear the smartphone vs the original file. Or simply pick which of 5 dacs is your most favorite. I have threads on both topics. The polls have closed, but you can still download the files and not look at the end where I reveal the answers until you have made your choices. There is also the 8th generation copy vs the original.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I think I mentioned these in the other thread. Maybe you would like to see if you can hear the smartphone vs the original file. Or simply pick which of 5 dacs is your most favorite. I have threads on both topics. The polls have closed, but you can still download the files and not look at the end where I reveal the answers until you have made your choices. There is also the 8th generation copy vs the original.

Later, looking forward to seeing how this works out. Thanks again for posting.

I've been through all five tracks and honestly would just be guessing. So here goes:

1a= with arrow

2a= with arrow

3b= with arrow

4b = with arrow

5a = with arrow

My preferences are 1a, 2a, 3b, 4b (more relaxing), 5a

WTF !!! I may be wrong with why I prefer the quoted versions due to my BP affecting my hearing, and I am not convinced that it is necessarily due to the direction of the cable as I explained earlier, but to post similar results to Plissken is something I never expected to happen. Perhaps I should have let Plissken listen to some of my comparison .wav files after all ?

NAH !!!

Its not a bike helmet. Its a bathing helmet. Overprotective parents put them on their kids when they take a bath.

So given the chance to grace us with your aural perceptions this is all you got? Have you listened to the files and have an opinion yet? That is what I am interested in for this thread.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Its not a bike helmet. Its a bathing helmet. Overprotective parents put them on their kids when they take a bath.

So given the chance to grace us with your aural perceptions this is all you got?

Did you really expect any better? LOL

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Has anyone experimented with DAC placement?

I mean, can a DAC sound different depending on whether it's been placed on the shelf above or below the amplifier?

I ask this because I thought that perhaps gravity might help with conductivity, and this could be a good or a bad thing depending on the system... :)

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Has anyone experimented with DAC placement?

I mean, can a DAC sound different depending on whether it's been placed on the shelf above or below the amplifier?

I ask this because I thought that perhaps gravity might help with conductivity, and this could be a good or a bad thing depending on the system... :)

R

In this particular set of recordings the cables were dead level and horizontal from input to output so that gravity would have no effect. I am not kidding. Okay, kidding a little bit. The cable was horizontally level, but not because I gave any concern to gravity effects.