IGNORED

Listen to cable directionality

esldude

In another thread, mainly about Audioquest cables and the little arrows indicating the proper direction for the cable there was much back and forth as to whether it was audible which way a cable was oriented.

Using some AQ Diamond interconnects I recorded 5 tracks. Each has an A and B version. One version of each follows the path of the cable as suggested by AQ. One version has the cable reversed. Which is which varies from track to track. I am not posting a poll as they seem to get little participation. However you can download the zip file below and it will open into a folder with all ten tracks. See if you can hear which direction is reversed. The odds of guessing right on all five is 1 out of 32. You don't have to listen to all of course.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k37iqsb4fnsoywo/AQ%20directional%20cable%20files.zip?dl=0

Now the bonus version just for Jud though anyone can listen. To overcome the limitations of echoic memory I took one track and made it mono. Duplicated the mono track left and right. Now at some point during the track cable direction in one of the two channels is reversed. Then at some point later it is reverted back to normal. See if you can hear when the reversals occur and for bonus points which channel it happened in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pezpo3ubejeaan/1%20J%20Mono.wav.zip?dl=0

I only did it for the 1st track (some Eric Clapton and John Mayall). If it is popular it could be done with some others.

Have fun, and display your hearing acuity or admit lack there of. Either way enjoy.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

In another thread, mainly about Audioquest cables and the little arrows indicating the proper direction for the cable there was much back and forth as to whether it was audible which way a cable was oriented.

Using some AQ Diamond interconnects I recorded 5 tracks. Each has an A and B version. One version of each follows the path of the cable as suggested by AQ. One version has the cable reversed. Which is which varies from track to track. I am not posting a poll as they seem to get little participation. However you can download the zip file below and it will open into a folder with all ten tracks. See if you can hear which direction is reversed. The odds of guessing right on all five is 1 out of 32. You don't have to listen to all of course.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k37iqsb4fnsoywo/AQ%20directional%20cable%20files.zip?dl=0

Now the bonus version just for Jud though anyone can listen. To overcome the limitations of echoic memory I took one track and made it mono. Duplicated the mono track left and right. Now at some point during the track cable direction in one of the two channels is reversed. Then at some point later it is reverted back to normal. See if you can hear when the reversals occur and for bonus points which channel it happened in.

I only did it for the 1st track (some Eric Clapton and John Mayall). If it is popular it could be done with some others.

Have fun, and display your hearing acuity or admit lack there of. Either way enjoy.

Dennis

Much to my surprise (!!!) I believe that I can hear very small differences between both versions , with one version sounding very slightly softer, and perhaps a bit cleaner right from the start. However, I certainly wouldn't try to do a Blind A/B on them when sourced via a download. I would also need to play the complete tracks through completely several times each in rotation.

I wouldn't even attempt the 2nd test as it would involve far too much concentration ,and with the rest of the family out.

Did you change the cables over each time, or did you do them in batches ?

I would rather hope that the differences may have been due to removal and reinsertion of the plugs, perhaps resulting in slightly improved plug to socket contact.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

If you really want to see if this works, at least the way AQ says it does, you need to break the cable in first. If you remember Bill Lowes comments on direction and break in, he says that break in occurs because the dielectric material polarizes, or forms in one direction. If you didn't break the cable in first, you shouldn't expect to hear any differences when you reverse direction. The arrows on the cable doesn't mean they must be installed in a certain direction, its just an aid so that when you make any changes you don't make any mistakes reinstalling the cables.

If you really want to see if this works, at least the way AQ says it does, you need to break the cable in first. If you remember Bill Lowes comments on direction and break in, he says that break in occurs because the dielectric material polarizes, or forms in one direction. If you didn't break the cable in first, you shouldn't expect to hear any differences when you reverse direction. The arrows on the cable doesn't mean they must be installed in a certain direction, its just an aid so that when you make any changes you don't make any mistakes reinstalling the cables.

What you are saying isn't what AQ says. Wasn't there something about diode effects in the surface etc and how drawing it out changes the cable surface. And yes, as well as being several years old, anticipating just this response is why I didn't post this earlier. I set everything up left it alone, and have had it handling signal for 2 and half days continuously. I then batch recorded without touching anything other than trimming up gain. Reversed the directions and recorded the batch again. (to answer Alex's question).

So you can listen and let us know what you hear or dream up additional (expected) excuses.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

In my system I listened to the first 4 tracks. The A samples sounds much more full, the B tracks sound flat in comparison. The third track in the group or the second A file sounded so good I want to get those Audioquest Diamond cables, very nice.

I really like the A tracks and think this is an excellent cable after listening to the rest of the tracks.. The B tracks not so much. Thanks VERY much for posting this, great exercise and a lot of fun. I have to give AQ a thumbs up for the A tracks, I want that cable. Like I said the B tracks, not so much.

I set everything up left it alone, and have had it handling signal for 2 and half days continuously. I then batch recorded without touching anything other than trimming up gain. Reversed the directions and recorded the batch again. (to answer Alex's question).

So there is the possibility that it may be due to changed plug and socket contact?

Even the application of Deoxit Contact Cleaner, Rejuvenator & Preserver has been well documented as achieving similar results.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

So there is the possibility that it may be due to changed plug and socket contact?

Even the application of Deoxit Contact Cleaner, Rejuvenator & Preserver has been well documented as achieving similar results.

As far as I care he waved it over his head three times while singing happy birthday, it doesn't matter, the results of those A tracks are GREAT! How he got the result I could care less.

I listened to the A tracks again and have to compliment your taste in cables WOW! When you have synergy between your pre-amp. amp and speakers, then the cables can make the difference between a "good" systems and a stunning system. To not hear what your $$$ components are really capable of because you cheaped out on cables is a disaster. think of all the people spending $$$ on new components when simply dropping in whatever you used for the A tracks can transform what they already own. YMMV but in my setup, just great. Who is singing on track 2 and what album?

Maybe, I did insert and remove the RCA plugs several times initially. They are gold plated for whatever that is worth. Plus the RCAs are welded to the wire. I then simply removed and replugged once when I turned the cables around.

I don't recall people claiming the difference is audible discussing how they carefully cleaned everything each change they did. Mine had 62 hrs of oxidation when they were swapped.

If you really want to see if this works, at least the way AQ says it does, you need to break the cable in first. If you remember Bill Lowes comments on direction and break in, he says that break in occurs because the dielectric material polarizes, or forms in one direction........................................................................

Someone needs to explain to Mr. Bill Lowes how AC signals work in cables. If the positive half-cycles traversed the cable differently than the negative half-cycles you would have lots of harmonic distortion.

Were the electrons you used spin up or spin down?

Well either way, are they not backwards from how they will be for Alex and others below the equator?

Someone needs to explain to Mr. Bill Lowes how AC signals work in cables. If the positive half-cycles traversed the cable differently than the negative half-cycles you would have lots of harmonic distortion.

Which reminds me, I did run few basic measures as I was doing this. I can supply those results later. FR, SNR, IMD, and THD at 1 khz. Just a quick look I didn't see any real differences.

Maybe, I did insert and remove the RCA plugs several times initially. They are gold plated for whatever that is worth. Plus the RCAs are welded to the wire. I then simply removed and replugged once when I turned the cables around.

I don't recall people claiming the difference is audible discussing how they carefully cleaned everything each change they did. Mine had 62 hrs of oxidation when they were swapped.

Do we even know for sure that an AQ directional cable sounds as transparent as any other well made cable when inserted the wrong way around ? In other words, is it an improvement over any other well made cable when inserted the way they recommend, or just an improvement over when it is inserted the wrong way around ?

The most pronounced difference was on the second track where A is clearly the winner. The least pronounced was the 5th track and I think you may have switched up that one so B sounded a little better.

Changing your mind already. LOL

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

The most pronounced difference was on the second track where A is clearly the winner. The least pronounced was the 5th track and I think you may have switched up that one so B sounded a little better.

witchdoctor

I agree about 2A.

Please check your PMs

Alex

Chicken... bawk bawk bawk, where is your test result? I don't see your post.

Since I believe it's all BS, my expectation bias has already disqualified me. :)

Your the guy who claims to hear this crap.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I'm pretty sure that the "A" and "B" labels have no significance when it comes to directionality, hence the odds of getting all five tracks right is 1/32.

Is AAAAB your final answer?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I wonder where the Bill Lowes dielectric material that they charge with a battery is? After all a dielectric is just an insulator between two conductors. Is the cable a coax a triax or what?

These cables are from a few years back and do not have the DBS battery system. They are teflon and FPS silver.

AQ Diamond.png