IGNORED

system to experiment with 3d audio

Hello. this is my first post here. If I'm asking for something meaningless, please do not get angry. Then, I go straight to the point. I need a system to experiment with 3d audio with the following characteristics:

1) number of speakers: at least 10

2) each speaker is easily movable, transportable; possibly rests on the ground like a mic with a stand as a base (no screw, drills, attaching to the wall, etc);

3) fully programmable configurative system: to each speaker you can also be assigned only one channel, so as to more speakers can be assigned the same channel;

4) the software to manage it must be somehow integrable to Max MSP (or similar programs, no daw)

5) each speaker must have a bar so as to be able to be adjusted in elevation

6) rotating head for each speaker

what i'm asking is:

1) Is there a commercially available system that does this?

If yes:

1.1) Which is the cheapest?

If no:

1.2) Can i do this system with speakers that are not part of a system, ie separated?

Thanks so much,

Leonardo.

Hello. this is my first post here. If I'm asking for something meaningless, please do not get angry. Then, I go straight to the point. I need a system to experiment with 3d audio with the following characteristics:

1) number of speakers: at least 10

2) each speaker is easily movable, transportable; possibly rests on the ground like a mic with a stand as a base (no screw, drills, attaching to the wall, etc);

3) fully programmable configurative system: to each speaker you can also be assigned only one channel, so as to more speakers can be assigned the same channel;

4) the software to manage it must be somehow integrable to Max MSP (or similar programs, no daw)

5) each speaker must have a bar so as to be able to be adjusted in elevation

6) rotating head for each speaker

what i'm asking is:

1) Is there a commercially available system that does this?

If yes:

1.1) Which is the cheapest?

If no:

1.2) Can i do this system with speakers that are not part of a system, ie separated?

Thanks so much,

Leonardo.

Your post isn't clear, but what I'm reading is you're searching for a 3D system. If so, start with last year's Denon AVR-X4200, which is the base Dolby Auro/DTS:X model. From there, the sky is the limit:

AVR-X4200W | Thrilling 3D surround sound receiver - Denon

... and goes to the top-end AVR-X7200:

AV Receiver

New models have been released, so you should get appropriate pricing on last year's models.

There are two systems I am aware of that is said to be capable of 3D sound. Both of them use a PAIR of stereo speakers, not 10:

- Ambiphonics: website. Requires you to position your speakers in a peculiar way - think of a narrow triangle. The major downside is that it has a very narrow sweet spot. Once you move your head, the 3D effect is lost. The other downside is the odd position of the speakers. Because they are so close to each other, you will have to rethink how you design your room. No TV in between the speakers, for example.

- BACCH-SP: website. Uses a special processor with a camera that recognizes where your head is. It feeds the position of your head into its dedicated processing box, which calculates the signal to be sent to your speakers. You can move around the room, and the processor constantly updates itself as to where you are and adjusts itself accordingly. The system requires calibration for each individual listener via a gizmo inserted into your ear. It takes readings and then it can generate a 3D image for you. It is stupidly expensive, and only one person can experience the 3D effect at a time.

There is no software which I am aware of that can control 10 speakers to provide a 3D image. You will have to roll your own, if you have the knowledge to do it.

As for your question on each individual monitor speaker being movable - yes, there is such a product. Do an Amazon search for "adjustable speaker stands" - I have done one for you here. To simplify things, I would probably use Pro Audio monitors like Eve Audio or Adam Audio (no, they are not related!). The advantage of pro audio monitors is that they are powered, so you don't have to find 10 channels of amplification to drive them.

Sorry. What i would do is, in a small way, something like that:

What would change if I told you that, at least at the beginning, I'd need something medium low or low level? I would just something to see how things would be. Then over time i'll see. Another thing is that i do not care about aesthetics. It would also fine speakers with roofless wires. Indeed, for my idea of ​​aesthetics, even better. I like raw things. I'm interested in music.

There are two systems I am aware of that is said to be capable of 3D sound. Both of them use a PAIR of stereo speakers, not 10:

- Ambiphonics: website. Requires you to position your speakers in a peculiar way - think of a narrow triangle. The major downside is that it has a very narrow sweet spot. Once you move your head, the 3D effect is lost. The other downside is the odd position of the speakers. Because they are so close to each other, you will have to rethink how you design your room. No TV in between the speakers, for example.

- BACCH-SP: website. Uses a special processor with a camera that recognizes where your head is. It feeds the position of your head into its dedicated processing box, which calculates the signal to be sent to your speakers. You can move around the room, and the processor constantly updates itself as to where you are and adjusts itself accordingly. The system requires calibration for each individual listener via a gizmo inserted into your ear. It takes readings and then it can generate a 3D image for you. It is stupidly expensive, and only one person can experience the 3D effect at a time.

There is no software which I am aware of that can control 10 speakers to provide a 3D image. You will have to roll your own, if you have the knowledge to do it.

As for your question on each individual monitor speaker being movable - yes, there is such a product. Do an Amazon search for "adjustable speaker stands" - I have done one for you here. To simplify things, I would probably use Pro Audio monitors like Eve Audio or Adam Audio (no, they are not related!). The advantage of pro audio monitors is that they are powered, so you don't have to find 10 channels of amplification to drive them.

Well, there is software or firmware, but not anything that runs on a DIY PC that I am aware of. The best answer to date is Auro 3D, which several very high end and very costly prepros handle, like Datasat and Trinnov. The Trinnov, for example, optionally handles up to 32 individual, discrete channels. Some consumer units like Denon also handle up to 10.2 channels for Auro, Atmos or DTS:X.

There is also a tiny handful of BD discs that provide discretely recorded Auro 3D material, including a few from the 2L label. And, there is also a mode to synthesize 3D via Auro from conventional 2/5/7.1 sources on Auro-equipped gear.

For music, I think Auro has a big edge over the competing Atmos and DTS:X because it was developed by one on the largest music recording studios in Europe. That does not guarantee success in the marketplace, however.

To your points, Ambiphonics is commercially dead and it has been for well over a decade. BACCH, priced at over $50k, is going nowhere commercially.

Personally, I would not want to invest a nickel in any allegedly 3D concept at this point, not even Auro. I do believe that true 3D audio offers promise, but the market is just not ready for it yet. And, it is just too expensive given those risks.

Me, I am quite happy with 5/7.1 2D Mch for now via SACD and BD.