IGNORED

Bryston – Active Model T Speaker System

Hi Guys - Looks like a really cool active system is in the works from Bryston.

The system would consists of:

• One pair of Bryston Model T Signature Speakers (no outboard passive crossover)

• One Bryston BAX-1 3-Way Digital Active Crossover

• Six (6) channels of Bryston power

bryston-active-model-t.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I find it hard to believe that the slim performance gains by going active will be able to justify the tremendous increase in cost but interesting nonetheless...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I find it hard to believe that the slim performance gains by going active will be able to justify the tremendous increase in cost but interesting nonetheless...

R

The people who made my speaker/amp system (SGR CX4F) are very strong on the advantages of active speakers. These include: amps custom designed to power the speakers, the ability to tailor the crossovers in ways that cannot be duplicated in passive designs, the efficiency of less lost power in crossover networks, very short speaker cables, etc.

Talking to the designer of Linn's Kaber speakers, he said that by going active they got almost another octave out of the bass performance and much smoother response all together.

Of course the advantages are stronger if the system is designed as active from the ground up and not an "add-on". It would be interesting to experience the differences in person on well-known music. I don't doubt it will be significant.

Greg

The people who made my speaker/amp system (SGR CX4F) are very strong on the advantages of active speakers. These include: amps custom designed to power the speakers, the ability to tailor the crossovers in ways that cannot be duplicated in passive designs, the efficiency of less lost power in crossover networks, very short speaker cables, etc.

Talking to the designer of Linn's Kaber speakers, he said that by going active they got almost another octave out of the bass performance and much smoother response all together.

Of course the advantages are stronger if the system is designed as active from the ground up and not an "add-on". It would be interesting to experience the differences in person on well-known music. I don't doubt it will be significant.

Greg

I understand the advantages of going digital, more so in such a case when you are using high-performance amplification with proper power supplies outside the speaker boxes (unlike most studio offers).

My issue was whether the enormous cost of the "6 channels of Bryston power" + Bryston towers would outweigh the benefits of going active, when compared to a high-perforamnce though lower-priced system consisting of off the shelf "traditional" amplification and passive speakers.

In any case I'd be interested to see how going active would affect the measurements since the digital filter might be put to good use in improving the "problems" (for a speaker at this price) of the Model T Passive.

R

I use an all active home theater with 6 Paradigm Active 40 bed channels, 4 Paradigm Active 20 height channels, a Paradigm Shift active VOG channel, and one Paradigm Active CC. Every speaker is biamped and they go down around an octave further than their passive counterparts. Why not let Bryston just design the entire amp/crossover/speaker system for you? I find I saved money on both amps and speaker cables.

WP_20160819_007.jpg

WP_20160819_001.jpg

Yes, it does seem to be a bit of overkill to have one whole mega-Bryston driving a few little tweeters!

Greg

Generally a tweeter is driven with about a 50 watt amp while mid/woofers 150 watts or so. I don't think it is overkill in my active system, the tweeters just "soar". Check this article out. I imagine Bryston would do at least as well as Paradigm, their Canadian counterparts.

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Paradigm Reference Active/40Â* Loudspeakers (7/2001)

It was always considered worthwhile with Naim speakers...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Naim isn't know for their speakers, though, and the measurements I've seen don't look promising.

But I haven't listened to a pair since the SBL.

R