IGNORED

Audioengine thought experiment

Gavin, thanks for hopping in!

I'm kind of assuming that stands will be a good thing for this system, in this room -- and I see you're now selling Sanus stands through your store. Is there a general rule for choosing the appropriate height? I'm thinking the taller stands might be better at filling this space with music, though I've noticed that audio reviewers almost invariably test speakers on two-foot stands. This is new territory for me; any wisdom will be most appreciated.

Gavin, I'd like your opinion on using HD6s in a 20 by 15 by 9 room as part of my main system. The speakers would be about 18" to 2 feet from the wall behind them and about 8-10 feet from the listeners. This current speaker location minimizes room modes. I am willing to accept some sacrifice in sound quality with respect to my much more expensive and complex current system because I want a simpler more convenient system. The quality of lows below 50 Hz don't matter much to me, high average sound level doesn't matter and I am a soundstage and imaging freak.

So do you think that the HD6s are viable as main speakers in such a room?

I meant to say " and I am not a soundstage and imaging freak.

Thanks, Gavin for sharing your first hand experience. The HD6s have some practical advantages for me: sleep mode for energy saving, remote control for speaker volume (of both speakers) and Toslink input or analog input. Getting the same functionality with pro audio active studio monitors would take some extra boxes or I'd have to live with a less convenient system.

I really should figure out a way to audition these speakers.

Don't know how many Guitar Centers they have in Maine, but they usually have the JBL LSR305 and LSR308 there. There's a decent chance you could find them at any well-stocked "music" store where they sell electric instruments, PA systems, etc.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

David, thanks for this suggestion — we do have some really decent music stores around Maine. Indeed this is sort of apt, in that my only close-hand exposure to JBL equipment came via the system owned by the bass player in a soul band I used to play with, a long time ago. I may have just experienced moderate short-term hearing loss just remembering this.