IGNORED

What Multi Channel DAC?

What Multi Channel DAC?

Currently using a Metric Halo LIO 8 in my main system with Aerial 10T (v2) and McCormack DNA1 DLX monoblocks. Sounds pretty good but I've run into some niggling issues and wondering if there is a better way out there.

I need at least 4 channels so I can run my dual subs + the mains and would be nice to have all 8 to run a center channel and perhaps some rears later.

Source is Macbook pro hi-rez files output through firewire to LIO8 via Decibel. Would like to retain Macbook pro output as I have integrated my DVD player via pass through to the LIO8 which works amazingly well.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Oh yeah - budget is sub $4k

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

Dangerous CONVERT-8 for $3500.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Oh, good call. Speaking of which, has anybody recorded 8ch DSD256? Maybe with Merging gear?

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

For that price and if you are not in a studio environment, I'd go with the exaSound e28 which does DSD and higher resolution PCM.

Interesting - what about integration with room control and subs? Ability to set crossover freq etc?

I really like how the MIO interface gives so much flexibility for multiple channels but it's acting buggy lately and freezing up etc.

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

I have been looking at the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre. Four balanced outputs controlled from a single knob. And both Thunderbolt and USB connectivity.

This is made for plug in integration. Four mic preamps, ADC, 118 dB dynamic range.

Downside is 192/24 and no DSD. Plus price, these are cheap.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Depends on your software. of course. One should not expect those functions in a DAC.

Kal,

The OP wants to run, at minimum, a pair of subs with R/L. IOW, there will be crossovers and delays. How would you expect the OP to setup a system like that without an ADC? The OP is best off with a pro unit.

I also have a stereo 4CH setup with a pair of subs and R/L. I have a prism titan and a lynx Hilo. They are both outstanding. I prefer the prism. But there are many great pro DAC/ADCs. I also recommend Acourate for filters.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Kal,

The OP wants to run, at minimum, a pair of subs with R/L. IOW, there will be crossovers and delays. How would you expect the OP to setup a system like that without an ADC? The OP is best off with a pro unit.

I also have a stereo 4CH setup with a pair of subs and R/L. I have a prism titan and a lynx Hilo. They are both outstanding. I prefer the prism. But there are many great pro DAC/ADCs. I also recommend Acourate for filters.

That was not clear from the original post. One can do this all this with the computer/software but the more specialized the application, more specialized hardware helps.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I am using exaSound e28 for the purpose, because I want to perform DSP for DSD too (and no ADC on the path) and output at high as possible DSD rate.

I'm in progress of building new computer for the purpose too, expect specs and a report soon... :)

I want at least DSD256 8 channel output. There are not that many DAC choices available, exaSound e28 and Merging Hapi/NADAC.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hooked up new Focusrite Clarett 4Pre today. Using Pure Music 64 bit Crossover.

The unit needs dialing in. Setting crossover point and levels now.

I think OP might go for 8Pre to have additional channels. The routing is no harder than LIO8.

One item, there must be a lot of hot running circuits in the 4Pre. The chassis is half width. The top must be 130 degrees. The wart is 2000 ma. Must need this much.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

• 1 month later...

Just to share some informations regarding mch DAC.

I am using the Exasound e28 MK II Femto clock (that is for sale right now, an ad has been created recently in CA).

I use that in a 4 Way Stereo system, with FIR built with Acourate.

Sound is simply fantastic. The support with the company is also very good, George always reply quickly to our questions. Why do I sell, I wanted to go for the e38.

jmdesignz2: have you bought your mch DAC yet ?

I am using the Exasound e28 MK II Femto clock (that is for sale right now, an ad has been created recently in CA).

Sound is simply fantastic. The support with the company is also very good, George always reply quickly to our questions. Why do I sell, I wanted to go for the e38.

jmdesignz2[o/B]: have you bought your mch DAC yet ?

Can I ask what you used to take the measurements for Acourate to generate the FIR filters ?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have used the MOTU 828x for the measurement. Are you interrested in the e28 ?

Probably not at the moment, but an audiophile multi channel dac may be an option in the future. As such it is always good to find out what options people utilize for taking the measurements with acourate when they are implementing an audiophile mc dac.

I wish you well with the upgrade.

Regards

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

jmdesignz2: have you bought your mch DAC yet ?

Yes, I did. The e28 is a very precise and revealing unit. The e38 is even more I think. I am very happy with the unit and and also very happy with the support that George gives.