IGNORED

.1 Channel on MCH music tracks

jjkale

Does anyone know what the .1 channel level is on MCH audio tracks? I am asking reference the 10 dB boost that is applied on an LFE channel. Is this the same for music? For instance, when listening to a Bluray audio track or MCH download is the boost added automatically or does the user have to configure their system differently when listening to 5.1 music vs. watching a movie.

Thanks.

jjk

Does anyone know what the .1 channel level is on MCH audio tracks? I am asking reference the 10 dB boost that is applied on an LFE channel. Is this the same for music? For instance, when listening to a Bluray audio track or MCH download is the boost added automatically or does the user have to configure their system differently when listening to 5.1 music vs. watching a movie.

Thanks.

I just ignore the LFE disk track and use my system bass management to sort it.

The problem with the LFE disk track for 5.1 disks, is the crossover point is never standardised. For instance, I've determined a 110 hz system crossover is most suitable for my environment, but the LFE disk crossover point could be at any frequency < 200 hz. Would you want to listen to that rubbish?

Thanks.

I have had no problems playing 5.1 SACDs vs. 5.0 SACDs. Also, no problems with BDs in 5.1 or 7.1, audio-only or A/V, or with Mch downloads in FLAC. I did not have to fiddle with or be concerned about the level of the .1 channel. Bass management took care of it automatically, either in JRiver, where I now use it, or previously into a Mch prepro. So, you just calibrate your subwoofer to the same output level as your other channels using test tones.

I do not think Iain's suggestion of just throwing the input from the recording's .1 channel away is a good one, if that is what he means. It might not even be easy to do, depending on your equipment.

Bass management automatically sorts everything out, adding the LFE input signal, if present on the disc, to the .1 output for the sub channel generated via the low pass crossovers from the other channels. There is usually also a low pass filter applied to the LFE in bass management, usually at 120 Hz.

Personally, I find the whole LFE thing on recordings, even video, to be a foolish anachronism which is no longer necessary in modern systems. It causes nothing but confusion these days and wastes a channel. Deep bass can be handled just as well in the 5 or 7 recorded channels, which are all full range. We have crossovers via bass management to generate the sub channel from those. We do not need the recordings to provide the deep bass via a separate channel. But, if they have applied a crossover to generate a .1 channel on the disc, we want that information to be added to the .1 output during playback.

I do not think Iain's suggestion of just throwing the input from the recording's .1 channel away is a good one, if that is what he means. It might not even be easy to do, depending on your equipment.

... erm, no. It's not what I mean't, at all.

On my system, "Pure Direct" mode uses the disk LFE crossover point whilst system bass management, doesn't. I was referring to disabling "Pure Direct" mode in favour of the latter.