IGNORED

Overall Isolation - network, USB, and power

Do you build your own split USB cable, or do you have a recommended one that I can buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I know that Teradak makes an affordable USB Y-split cable (Approx $30) http://www.mychifi.se/kablar/ovriga-kablar/teradak-usb-y-kabel If you for example will need to inject clean power to your Ayre Codex and cut off the power with Vbus2 after Aries Mini.

If you search for it you might find it at a local dealer as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

I know that Teradak makes an affordable USB Y-split cable (Approx $30) Teradak USB Y-kabel If you for example will need to inject clean power to your Ayre Codex and cut off the power with Vbus2 after Aries Mini.

If you search for it you might find it at a local dealer as well.

Thanks! I'll look for one.

Right now I'm only seeing the el cheapo

or the expensive

Well, thinking about it some more - I'm going to try these configurations:

1. Auralic Aries Mini <--> Intona <--> Ayre Codex DAC
  2. Auralic Aries Mini <--> Wyred 4 Sound Recovery <--> Ayre Codex DAC
  3. Auralic Aries Mini <--> Intona <--> Wyred 4 Sound Recovery <--> Ayre Codex DAC

I'll have to think about where I can use the Vbus2 and the split cable.

I'll have the following on hand:

• Cardas Clear 2m USB A-B
  • Curious 0.2m USB Regen Link
  • Short A-B USB cable that comes with the Recovery
  • Vbus2

Funny, I just bought a similar El Cheapo split power/data extender cable for use with my IFI microIDSD DAC. It sounds surprisingly good, better then a Supra cable with the VBUS disconnected from the PC. Each leg is 8 inches long and perhaps the diminutive length contributes to SQ.

I had to modify the data side as testing showed the vbus was connected on all three ends. I just used a tweezer to remove pin 1 on the data side and was good to go.

You can't beat the value here at $6.

Coincidentally, I noticed last week that the LHLABS 2G split USB cable had a price drop to $199. Said to be high bandwidth cable, I was curious to hear how it sounds against the Supra on the newly arrived T+A DAC at DSD512. I ordered a 1 and 2 meter version. They are sold in Amazon, so there was little risk in trying both.

First off, after cooking both individually for 18 hours each, in a comparison yesterday there is no doubt, the shorter 1 meter version sounds better.

Secondly, this cable beats both the Supra and the value cable hands down. The image is more stable with more natural placement of players and instruments, and there is just more emotion conveyed.

I had a spontaneous five hour listening session last night exploring my library with Roon. It was just about the music. SQ ceased to be a distraction, what a pleasure!

I think spending $200 for a USB cable is ridiculous. However, I'm glad I did it.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Nice idea to picture the audio chain. Here is a picture of my headphone setup with Tidal as the one and only source! :)

Note that I am using 3-wire USB cables with detachable GND wires plus Vbus2 Isolators. Yes, it does make a noticable difference in my setup even though I do not have any 5v leads in my cables. It surpriced me as well! ;)

My-setup copy.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

We should start a 'system topology' thread in the main general forum... would be good to see how people on here optimise their systems.

Edit... just started one. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/post-your-system-topology-it-might-help-others-improve-their-systems-29962/

Nice idea to picture the audio chain. Here is a picture of my headphone setup with Tidal as the one and only source! :)

Note that I am using 3-wire USB cables with detachable GND wires plus Vbus2 Isolators. Yes, it does make a noticable difference in my setup even though I do not have any 5v leads in my cables. It surpriced me as well! ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29210[/ATTACH]

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

We should start a 'system topology' thread in the main general forum... would be good to see how people on here optimise their systems.

Edit... just started one. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/post-your-system-topology-it-might-help-others-improve-their-systems-29962/

Nice idea r_w! A picture say more than...a ton of words! ;) I will post my setup on your thread as well and follow it closely! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

I've used passive network isolation for a few years, beginning with the Baaske MI 1005, then moving up to the EMO EN-HD70.

Teased by all the high-fiber chatter on CA, I set up:

Modem/router - Meicord Opal LAN cable - TP-Link MC100CM - 2m Phoenix Contact glass optical cable - TP-Link MC100CM - Meicord Opal LAN cable - Microrendu

Surprisingly, it was plug and play straight out of the box, but equally surprising, it was a significant step backwards in SQ, adding haze and harshness.

I tried replacing the TP PS at the upstream end with the Breeze Audio 9V LPS (known around here as El Cheapo), but that made no difference. I resisted the temptation to further upgrade power supplies.

Instead, I am following the path pursued by members of various French fora who apparently prefer the passive Etalon isolator to fiber.

It should arrive in a week or so.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I've used passive network isolation for a few years, beginning with the Baaske MI 1005, then moving up to the EMO EN-HD70.

Teased by all the high-fiber chatter on CA, I set up:

Modem/router - Meicord Opal LAN cable - TP-Link MC100CM - 2m Phoenix Contact glass optical cable - TP-Link MC100CM - Meicord Opal LAN cable - Microrendu

Surprisingly, it was plug and play straight out of the box, but equally surprising, it was a significant step backwards in SQ, adding haze and harshness.

I tried replacing the TP PS at the upstream end with the Breeze Audio 9V LPS (known around here as El Cheapo), but that made no difference. I resisted the temptation to further upgrade power supplies.

Instead, I am following the path pursued by members of various French fora who apparently prefer the passive Etalon isolator to fiber.

It should arrive in a week or so.

Very interesting Al Jones! I am all for passive network isolation solutions (actually...I am all for any kind of passive isolation rather than active dito) and would be very interested to hear your initial impressions of the Etalon Isolator! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

I will report back once it arrives.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I will report back once it arrives.

Looking forward to your findings.

Just to be clear, your current device is the EMOsystems en70hd and it was preferred/better than any of the TP link converters.

I'm awaiting a en70hd this week...

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

Yes, the Emo EN-70HD was substantially better than the fiber powered as described. As always, YMMV.

Al J.

Yes, the Emo EN-70HD was substantially better than the fiber powered as described. As always, YMMV.

Very interesting, Al, and we look forward to your findings with the Etalon.

In my case, I went from no isolation to fiber isolation with:

• Router - Stock LAN cable - TP-Link MC100CM - 1m Ultra Spec SC-SC cable - TP-Link MC100CM - Blue Jeans Cat 6a cable - Aries Mini

and I definitely found this an improvement.

If you had taken out the Emo from your baseline system, would you have still found the fiber config a step back?

We all have different outcomes based on the overall system, so just trying to calibrate your findings. :)

I compared my system with Emo to my system with fiber. I did not compare my system with fiber to my system with no isolation, because I consider Emo to be my baseline.

Whether fiber is better or worse than no isolation is irrelevant to me, since Emo is better than both.

Al J.

I compared my system with Emo to my system with fiber. I did not compare my system with fiber to my system with no isolation, because I consider Emo to be my baseline.

Whether fiber is better or worse than no isolation is irrelevant to me, since Emo is better than both.

Understood. Was just wondering if you had tried no isolation. Clearly you didn't. No worries.

On the topic of using an LPS to drive clean 5V on a split USB cable, I like this LPS: Teradak Teralink x1 X2 DC8 5V 1A USB DC5V Port Hi Fi Linear Power Supply | eBay

It's an alternative to the Breeze el cheapo, but this kills 3 birds for me with one stone:

• 8.5/1A to power W4S Recovery
  • 5V to power split USB, and
  • includes a split USB cable

Of course after a while I might be tempted to look at the Lightspeed 2g cable instead. (Lord, have mercy!)

So this will be my likely USB chain:

Aries Mini -- Intona -- W4S Recovery -- Codex

After I establish a baseline, which is the first location I should try the VBus2+split USB w/LPS 5V?

I am thinking between the Mini and the Intona.

What do you have between the Intona and DAC?

And yes, that is a good starting point.

Ah yes, forgot cables. Well, I'll have the following to distribute as makes sense:

- short generic that came with Intona

- short generic that came with Recovery

- curious 0.2m Regen link

- Cardas Clear 2m USB

My initial thought is as below, but open to ideas.

Aries Mini -- generic short -- Intona -- Curious 0.2m -- W4S Recovery -- Cardas Clear -- Codex

On the topic of using an LPS to drive clean 5V on a split USB cable, I like this LPS: Teradak Teralink x1 X2 DC8 5V 1A USB DC5V Port Hi Fi Linear Power Supply | eBay

It's an alternative to the Breeze el cheapo, but this kills 3 birds for me with one stone:

• 8.5/1A to power W4S Recovery
  • 5V to power split USB, and
  • includes a split USB cable

Of course after a while I might be tempted to look at the Lightspeed 2g cable instead. (Lord, have mercy!)

So this will be my likely USB chain:

Aries Mini -- Intona -- W4S Recovery -- Codex

After I establish a baseline, which is the first location I should try the VBus2+split USB w/LPS 5V?

I am thinking between the Mini and the Intona.

The TeraDak Teralink is a good and very valuable choise. Their DC-30W have quite a reputation for being an truly exellent LPS for the money.

I would suggest that you experiment with the location of Vbus2+split USB. Even though I agree that between Mini and Intona would be a good place to start another place could be proven better in your setup. For example in my setup the best location for the Vbus2 is actually between the USB Regen and DAC (better than between Aries and USB Regen..but mind you that both is even better) allthough both John Swenson and Alex does'nt recommend anything else than a solid adapter or very short USB cable in that spot.

Edit: Please make sure that the A-rating is sufficient to power both Intona and USB. I would normally recommend a higher value (with plenty of headroom/torq) since it makes a big difference in SQ.

🎛️  Audio System