IGNORED

Creating an SACD?

One and a half

If DVD-R, CD-R can exist, why isn't there a SACD-R ?

There are players that have a fault and play a burned DVD SACD, however they aren't audiophile quality :(

Some SACD players can play burned DSF DVD, but the drama of the splitting tracks at zero crossing on a DSD file is tricky?

The momentum of creating an ISO from an SACD using certain BD players is a good start, but how to create an SACD at home? I gather creating SACD is now only produced in the one factory, with long lead times. I know it takes Blue coasts records a few months +++ at least to ship an SACD from their own recordings. So if Blue Coast have trouble, us hobbyists are in the dirt?

Maybe there's some enlightened and clever approach these days that someone would like to share in creating our own SACD?

There should be no need to process the ISO for audio quality issues, since it's only data, so level matching should be need to be changed.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Well, my CA 650BD universal player is 'ok' sonics-wise. Haven't upgraded fw, so it'll still play burnt dvd sacd.isos - on a mac use the disc utility.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

hi

creating sacd-r is very tricky.it tooks me one week to listen my first selfmade sacd-r!

next Problem is to get all the Software you Need:

dsdmerge

philips pro tech:

dst Encoder

audio-converter

super author

weiss-saracon pcm-DSD converter

when you can't find them in the net send me a pm.

shpongle

Gigabyte-GA-Z97 Sniper with separate usb-dac out,5v usb-power disabeld in Bios. i3 4130T(35 W)@800mhz,16gb ram@800mhz @1.25v. Cpu+Ram powered by Pico-160w+Voltcraft Lab.PSU.

Cpu-Fan+Music Hdd with 2 separate  LPsu. JLsounds Dac-Kit: USB-I2S XMOS-board+ AK4490 DAC+DVR603 FB+2 JLS LPSU. Player: wtfplay and Daphile

Tubeamp: Lua 4040 C . LS: Chario Academy II. Conections/Filters: Reson DNM / Fisch Audio.

A SACD-R can be created by Philips SuperAuthor software. I have successfully reauthored more than 100 SACDs. They can be played on Pioneer, Sony, Cambridge Audio, NAD, Denon, Marantz, older OPPO models and many other universal players. A short guide can be found here:

http://digitalog.bestforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=273

It is in russian, but the screenshots are sufficient to understand the procedure.

I think the reason why so few people want to create an SACD-R is that there are lots of DSD-capable DACs on the market and players accepting DSD files, but few SACD players accepting SACD-R discs. So playing DSD files is easier than dealing with SACD-R discs.

The main advantage of SACD-R IMHO is multichannel playback (using a Blu-ray/SACD player and a home theatre system, with HDMI connection), compared to playing hi-rez multichannel files on a PC connected to a home theatre system (via HDMI). For stereo, the PC > USB > DAC connection is the most convenient

BTW, since it isn't mentioned in this thread, if you have an SACD ISO (downloaded or ripped by yourself), when you burn it to a DVD as a disc image (not as a file), the result is a SACD-R. So it's easy to test if your player accepts SACD-Rs.

Claude

I think the reason why so few people want to create an SACD-R is that there are lots of DSD-capable DACs on the market and players accepting DSD files, but few SACD players accepting SACD-R discs. So playing DSD files is easier than dealing with SACD-R discs.

The main advantage of SACD-R IMHO is multichannel playback (using a Blu-ray/SACD player and a home theatre system, with HDMI connection), compared to playing hi-rez multichannel files on a PC connected to a home theatre system (via HDMI). For stereo, the PC > USB > DAC connection is the most convenient

BTW, since it isn't mentioned in this thread, if you have an SACD ISO (downloaded or ripped by yourself), when you burn it to a DVD as a disc image (not as a file), the result is a SACD-R. So it's easy to test if your player accepts SACD-Rs.

I will definitely try to use the image to burn a DVD-R and see what happens. A high priority project! The separation of the dsfs mentioned previously and the click is the main reason to maintain the original iso. I think once an iso is reduced to dsf/dff, going back to an iso may not so easy? The idea of creating the iso is to preserve the ripped iso, in case the original is lost, suffers bit rot or other calamity.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

So, we're just looking to play a sacd-r on a player that will play such? - eg my Oppo won't play it, bur early CA 650 will.

If so, on a mac, just use disc utilty to burn the sacd.iso to a dvd-r. Simples.

How to Burn an .ISO File in OS X - Simple Help

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 2 weeks later...
but how to create an SACD at home? I gather creating SACD is now only produced in the one factory, with long lead times. I know it takes Blue coasts records a few months +++ at least to ship an SACD from their own recordings. So if Blue Coast have trouble, us hobbyists are in the dirt?

this was the appeal for sony..and what made it obsolete

while they sound phenomenal, mastering is a major PIA

if you can get the software mentioned a few replies down, it's a piece of cake and quick...but commercially, that software is $15K or more?! ridiculous

the software is a bit kludgy, you need a lot of space, first the hires files need to be converted to dsd

then they need to be merged

when you author, the app creates a whole new iso (.dat) and at the same time creates a copy of the audio in the same directory (so you need 4X the space)

this was the appeal for sony..and what made it obsolete

while they sound phenomenal, mastering is a major PIA

if you can get the software mentioned a few replies down, it's a piece of cake and quick...but commercially, that software is $15K or more?! ridiculous

the software is a bit kludgy, you need a lot of space, first the hires files need to be converted to dsd

then they need to be merged

when you author, the app creates a whole new iso (.dat) and at the same time creates a copy of the audio in the same directory (so you need 4X the space)

Even if you have all the software, you won't be able to make a disc. As someone mentioned, there's only one facility able to do so. A standard DVD burner can't do it for the same reason it can't read an SACD (pit modulation). A few players will accept burned discs, but most don't.

Even if you have all the software, you won't be able to make a disc. As someone mentioned, there's only one facility able to do so. A standard DVD burner can't do it for the same reason it can't read an SACD (pit modulation). A few players will accept burned discs, but most don't.

not too sure what you mean about not making a disc, i make them all the time

you cannot make a commercial disc, this is what appealed to sony when they designed it (and a reason why it's a deadend)

however, those "few" players that can accept these (i use a sony 380) are easy to find

it's well worth the hassle

as far as a standard dvd burner...i use it all the time with my sacd-rs, they can be backed up and ripped again (via foobar)

not too sure what you mean about not making a disc, i make them all the time

you cannot make a commercial disc, this is what appealed to sony when they designed it (and a reason why it's a deadend)

however, those "few" players that can accept these (i use a sony 380) are easy to find

it's well worth the hassle

as far as a standard dvd burner...i use it all the time with my sacd-rs, they can be backed up and ripped again (via foobar)

You can't make a disc that plays in any player. If you happen to have one that doesn't care, good for you. Just don't ever update the firmware on it. That accidental feature may well be gone if you do.

Yep, where we were from post #2 - just read carefully ... ie basic comprehension ... sacd-r is fine, but only on the odd player, & then leave the fw as is.

• 3 years later...

Hello, I am new to this forum. First post here.

I have a few SACD titles and a Sony SCD XB790 SACD player. I want to burn SACD-R, is it possible to play this in my Sony player or do I need a player in this compabiltiy list?

https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/wiki/A-list-of-SACD-R-compatible-players.

I also want to get the software to test to burn a SACD-R, I have a Plextor DVD burner and a Pioneer Blue Ray burner in my computer. Dualboot Linux/Windows 10.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems to be related to "Digital Transmission Content Protection." I saw something about using the "wizard" but I don;t have the software to try it. Can you tell me where you got it? I haven't been able to find it for sale or use anywhere. I can ussually figure out 

• 2 weeks later...