IGNORED

Official macOS Sierra 10.12 Thread

I have recently run into a problem with my Mac Mini, running Sierra OS, failing to "see" my USB DAC (Schiit Bifrost Multibit). After I upgraded to Sierra, all seemed well; the Mac connected to the USB DAC just fine. Then - and this may just be a coincidence - I selected HDMI as my main audio output for one reason or another (watching some streaming video on the TV that I also use as a monitor for the Mac Mini). Subsequently, the Mac "forgot" how to connect with the USB DAC. It no longer shows up in the list of MIDI audio devices, and Dirac and other programs also cannot find it. I double-checked all cable connections, powered-down and repowered the Mac and the DAC multiple times, all with no improvements. Has anyone bumped into this problem and, if so, were you able to solve it? Thanks in advance.

(Note: I also sent a similar inquiry to Schiit, so I'll report back if they provide an answer.)

Have you tried Audio/Midi settings in the Utilitles folder?

I think I have. Under Applications/Utilities is Audio Midi Setup. That gets me to the Audio Devices window, which shows all the audio devices currently recognized by the Mac Mini. Up until recently, that included the Schiit Bifrost DAC. (It also usually contains Dirac DSP, but I've turned that off while working on this problem.) As of now, it only includes the internal input and output, as well as the HDMI cable I have hooked up to the TV I use as a monitor for the Mac.

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 5.28.22 PM.png

Also try different USB ports and if you can try the DAC with another computer with a different USB cable if you haven't already.

Have a look at your USB device tree under 'About This Mac' which can be accessed via the Apple on the top left of the menu. Does the DAC show up there?

Holding down the option key and clicking the speaker icon on the right of menu bar should also show the various audio devices hooked up to the Mac.

Also try different USB ports and if you can try the DAC with another computer with a different USB cable if you haven't already.

Have a look at your USB device tree under 'About This Mac' which can be accessed via the Apple on the top left of the menu. Does the DAC show up there?

Holding down the option key and clicking the speaker icon on the right of menu bar should also show the various audio devices hooked up to the Mac.

I've moved the USB cable back and forth among all four of the empty USB ports with no change.

I don't have another computer to try the DAC with right now, although I suppose it's possible there was a catastrophic failure of the DAC that just coincidentally occurred right after I updated the OS on my Mac. If all else fails, I'll investigate that possibility further, of course.

As regards the USB device tree, have a look at the following screenshots. It's utterly cryptic what all this means to me, an amateur in the field:

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.12.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.12.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.12.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.12.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.12.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.12.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.12.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.12.42 PM.png

And holding down the option key and clicking on the speaker icon on the right end of the menu bar yields the following:

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.22.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 5.28.22 PM.png

My guess would be that the DAC is not working properly. I always disconnect all external devices before updating. Hope you get it figured out.

Well, the problem seems to be resolved, but how and why it happened is unclear. My Mac is now recognizing the Bifrost, just as it always did. I worked on the problem today with Nick at Schiit, and he basically just had me be sure I'd done everything to troubleshoot it that they suggest on their website ... I already had done most of that (other than trying another computer, which I actually attempted today). Then, very suddenly and without any obvious reason why, I suddenly started seeing the Bifrost showing up as an option in System Preferences and on my various music players, and it also was showing up in my USB Device Tree. Maybe it was the act of repeatedly (as in, several dozen times) removing and replugging various USB cables that shook something loose, maybe it was something else that will never be explained. But for now, it's working fine, and that's good enough for me. Hopefully it stays that way! Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my plea for help.

HQplayer it's not working

I never had any problem with HQPlayer on Sierra, even with tonight update 10.12.1

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried macOS Sierra with the Teac HR Audio Player?

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

• 2 weeks later...

I see the new OSX update has removed the login to nas "feature"

Nas logins now happen automatically on startup.

Seems someone at Apple is listening.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

... or it was indeed a bug, not a feature :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

... or it was indeed a bug, not a feature :P

How do you tell the difference? ?

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

Looks like, since yesterday update 10.12.2, lesser battery consuming. Fan speed is lesser too.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried macOS Sierra with the Teac HR Audio Player?

I guess no one using the Teac HR Audio Player has been brave enough to upgrade to macOS Sierra? Guess I'll have to stick with El Capitan until I know it will still be compatible, as the Teac site doesn't list compatibility with Sierra yet. I have the most recent version for Mac V1.0.0.8.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

• 3 weeks later...
I guess no one using the Teac HR Audio Player has been brave enough to upgrade to macOS Sierra? Guess I'll have to stick with El Capitan until I know it will still be compatible, as the Teac site doesn't list compatibility with Sierra yet. I have the most recent version for Mac V1.0.0.8.

macOS Sierra is now listed as a supported operating system at the Teac site. I just updated to Sierra and the Teac HR Audio Player is playing both PCM and DSD music files perfectly.

I still love music.

Teresa

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Are there scripts somewhere to optimize Sierra (stopping extraneous processes, etc,)?

Thanks

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

• 3 weeks later...