IGNORED

New base for Vintage Turntable

18 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Yes, these are definitely vintage turntables. What they are not, are "classic" turntables. Now, one of these lovely plinths under a Garrard 310 or 410 or a Thorens TD124 or, even better, a 125, or perhaps an Empire Troubadour, or even an AR- XA (with a different arm, of course) or early Sondeck, And you're talking about a 'table worth the effort of a custom plinth. Not these mass-market Japanese direct drive turntables from the '70's and '80's, which weren't even very highly regarded when they were new, much less today. The guys work looks first class though from the pictures.

I'm sure I wrote 301 and 401, not 310 and 410. Don't know they managed to change!?? I do know what they are!

George

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

WTF? I don't recall saying they were "classic".  His labor is only $150..and i have no problem with putting that on a $350 turntable.  I have had thorens and linn sondek turntables that i purchased for resale.  I personally like the aestetics of these turntables much more.  I rarely play records any more.  If i could budget $2K for a turntable (which i can't), i would still pass on the ugly thorens....and for the linn sondek, it's standard plinth is classic as is...whatever, to each their own...

It's not about "looks" or aesthetic, it's about performance. These cheap DD tables just don't sound very good. But if all you want to do is look at them (as opposed actually to playing vinyl) then more power to you and enjoy, I wasn't aiming to offend. It just looked to me like somebody was putting lipstick on a pig and I didn't see the point. Now that you've explained yourself, well, I like bacon too! :)

George

27 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

First of all, the turntable base looks beautiful!

Yes, we can share opinions here without offending others, even when you are so clearly wrong, and misleading people with that commentary. Of course, I'm certain they will believe you, as opposed to Robert Harley who is only the editor of the Absolute Sound, or Chris, who IS The Computer Audiophile. Both of whom provided in depth reviews proclaiming how remarkable the Yggy is even in comparison with many cost no object DAC's. Of course, that probably shouldn't count because they actually had the Yggy in their systems for extensive testing and evaluation. Commentary from people who have never owned one is, of course, far more valuable. 

JC 

Especially from someone whose system's center seems to be a vintage Marantz receiver. This is surely the system type that will best show the Yggy's many shortcomings. But the turntable plinths are lovely.

George

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Not sure exactly how that double blind test would be useful since the Yggy does not even do DSD? But I believe I am correct in that you are commenting on a DAC that you've neither owned nor even used in your system at any point?

JC

I don't understand what DSD has to do with the ability to carry-out (or the efficaciousness of) double-blind testing ???!!!

I've BT'd (as opposed to DBT'd) between the Yggy, an MSB Diamond IV (with the outboard clock unit), The dual differential DAC chips (Delta Sigma) in my H-K 990, a Benchmark DAC2, and an Ayre Acoustics QB-9 (USB only). The only thing that kept my tests from being DBTs, is another person to actually do the surreptitious switching (IOW, the "D"). :)

George