IGNORED

A Theatre Of Sound-Sculptured Space

wgscott

I think I should set one of these up in my spare time... and charge people $20 cash to show it off.

AUDIUM

audium full.jpg

Audium is the only theatre of its kind in the world, pioneering the exploration of space in music. The theatre's 176 speakers bathe listeners in sounds that move past, over, and under them. "Sound sculptures" are performed in darkness in the 49-seat theatre.

I do not believe it is the same technology, but a larger performance hall near me had an exhibition of that sort of thing with I believe 128 speakers last year. It wasn't advertised and I only found out about it the same day of the demo. Reports were it was pretty spectacularly real. It was another offshoot of object oriented sound space. Atmos and DTS:X are simpler versions.

This could be great, but following audiophile purist traditions someone will record natural music without processing using 128 speakers and 128 microphones with one microphone per speaker. Then we'll be back to the beginning. Harvey Fletcher and Bell labs used 80 microphones and played recordings back over 80 speakers.

Alas, I think I might could swing the 80 to 100 plus speakers. The fly in the ointment is the cable. The cost of good speaker cable would simply be too much. I probably would gravitate toward 80 mono tube SET amps and employ illegals to swap out tubes as needed. Guess I'll be relocating further north to make it practical.

Which brings up an ethical question. Should I relocate to Canada illegally and change out my own tubes or simply stop at North Dakota. Alaska might work I guess. If wild artic wolves ever got into the listening room I could fake them out with artificial sounds of prey so they wouldn't bother me.

I'll also need to move close to a Google data center. Keeping my own recordings of 80 plus channels at 768 khz/64 bit will require lots of hard drive space. Does Google have one of those in Alaska? Otherwise Finland is looking pretty good.

For Data Center, Google Goes for the Cold - WSJ

Is Finnish or Swedish the easier language to learn?

The really depressing part is I finally for the first time progressed to a 5.1 set up just one week ago. Now this. Being an audiophile on the edge of lunacy isn't easy.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.