IGNORED

New Macy Gray

I bought the new Macy Gray album yesterday at 24/192 AIFF from HD Tracks. I listened to it tonight and was getting a fair number of drop outs and distortions during playback. I listened to a lot of other stuff tonight too with no problems at all (in fact, Ive never had any dropout issues ever before). Anyone else buy this album yet? If so, any issues while listening. I find it odd that everything else played perfectly, like usual, except this album, but it could be me. Thanks.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

No issues with 24/192 WAV.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I would contact HDT and see about re-downloading it. Seems like something happened in the wires!

I would definitely contact HDTracks, however I thought the Download Manager would prevent corrupt files.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

No drop outs but need a few more listens before I have anything to say about the music.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

I listened to it yesterday and everything is ok ..except from the fact that Macy's vocal is not stable as far as stereo imaging is considered. It quite often moves to the right and to the left! Sounds weird and annoying! Anybody noticed that.?

I thought there was something wrong with my ears. I noticed the exact same thing, with one of the songs in particular. It might have been her turning to the side for singing particular parts, slightly away from the mic, as singers do. But it's like another mic picked it up, so you get that weird imaging.

No idea. I'm no expert in recording but I've seen singers do that live a lot. Might just be the way they captured those moments.

Great album overall though.

I thought there was something wrong with my ears. I noticed the exact same thing, with one of the songs in particular. It might have been her turning to the side for singing particular parts, slightly away from the mic, as singers do. But it's like another mic picked it up, so you get that weird imaging.

No idea. I'm no expert in recording but I've seen singers do that live a lot. Might just be the way they captured those moments.

I'm going to take a stab at this since I have experienced this affect with other recordings. I have seen vocalists recorded with a stereo pair of microphones rather than a single mono mic. If the singer turns their head towards one of the mics, this may shift the image towards that mic/channel. It is not unusually for singers to move around while performing.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I'm going to take a stab at this since I have experienced this affect with other recordings. I have seen vocalists recorded with a stereo pair of microphones rather than a single mono mic. If the singer turns their head towards one of the mics, this may shift the image towards that mic/channel. It is not unusually for singers to move around while performing.

Nice, sounds like I was on the money and my hearing hasn't gone bonkers ! (yet) ;-)

I listened to it yesterday and everything is ok ..except from the fact that Macy's vocal is not stable as far as stereo imaging is considered. It quite often moves to the right and to the left! Sounds weird and annoying! Anybody noticed that.?

I don't have this one, but I've noticed that effect on another Chesky album.

It was supposedly recorded with a binaural head mike.

After listening to it, I can confirm there's an occasional sideways wavering of the voice. It's somewhat distracting from an otherwise superb album. I've noticed the same thing on the Noah Wall album Down Home Blues but not on any others.

After listening to it, I can confirm there's an occasional sideways wavering of the voice. It's somewhat distracting from an otherwise superb album. I've noticed the same thing on the Noah Wall album Down Home Blues but not on any others.
Distracting it is! I don't have Noah Wall album, I also don't recall any other Chesky Records album with such problems. I also think the binaural mike they use for recordings can cause such imaging problems if the performer moves sideways. Anyway I prefer a stable performer's placement on the soundstage.. Maybe I'm just oldfashioned.. ;)

Should not have read this thread. :)

I've listened to this album numerous times since buying it without noticing the soundstage "issues". Now it's probably going to jump out at me next time I put it on.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Distracting it is! I don't have Noah Wall album, I also don't recall any other Chesky Records album with such problems. I also think the binaural mike they use for recordings can cause such imaging problems if the performer moves sideways. Anyway I prefer a stable performer's placement on the soundstage.. Maybe I'm just oldfashioned.. ;)

I have several of the Chesky binaural albums, but it's only on these two I've noticed this oddity.

Should not have read this thread. :)

I've listened to this album numerous times since buying it without noticing the soundstage "issues". Now it's probably going to jump out at me next time I put it on.

Playing it mono solves the problem ;) But in this case you unfortunately lose the remaining aspects of wonderful Chesky binaural stereo..
Playing it mono solves the problem ;) But in this case you unfortunately lose the remaining aspects of wonderful Chesky binaural stereo..

I'm going to wait a few weeks before I play it again. Hopefully I'll forget that I've read this thread in the meantime...

I guess I should avoid listening it for the first time to eliminate even the chance of disappointment.

Please don't. Like many of the recent binaural albums from Chesky, it is great album.

The wavering thing only happens in a few places. I'd rather it didn't, but it's a great album nonetheless.
It is a great album indeed! I liked it a lot from first listening. No issue with channels - I am not able to keep myself fixed in one position in front of speakers for more than few seconds. And I was cooking pasta while listening anyway.
  • 2 weeks later...