IGNORED

Jcat launches the new, 'Femto' USB card

Elberoth

1 hour ago, Marcin_gps said:

PCIe x1 is enough. But if you have a choice, I'd recommend installing the card in a x16 slot which often connects directly to a CPU.

What is the reason for this recommendation? Going through a switch would add a tiny amount of latency, but I don't see how that could matter. Is there something else?

35 minutes ago, mansr said:

Do you have any theory as to why?

Going through the chipset (PCH) definitely seems to add a bunch of noise.  The chipset is multiplexing a bunch of stuff onto the DMI 3.0 x4 lanes ... SATA, USB, ethernet and any other PCIe x1 cards.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

32 minutes ago, rickca said:

Going through the chipset (PCH) definitely seems to add a bunch of noise.  The chipset is multiplexing a bunch of stuff onto the DMI 3.0 x4 lanes ... SATA, USB, ethernet and any other PCIe x1 cards.  

Do you think that connecting the JCAT USB card to my second CPU connected PCIe slot (the second graphics card slot) WHILE having a powerful graphics card installed (GTX 1070) would be preferable to having it going via the chipset (PCH) PCIe slot?

I only ask because while I know there are a bunch of (noise adding) devices connected via the chipset (PCH), that the graphics card is the most power intensive device in my PC and I wonder if it adds more/less noise compared to the devices on the chipset? Though the graphics card would be idle while listening to serious audio..

• 8 months later...

More analog, more natural and more fluid sound. It seems even more realistic than it was, with better body, richer harmonics, and what has already brought a considerable improvement has now gotten even better. I didn't notice differences in detail, in quantity of information, but I think the sound stage a little better spaced and has more precise image formation. The "approach" of the board has clearly changed. It remains fairly accurate and detailed, but now still hanging to the more natural and realistic side, with less "technicality". At no point did the sound seem distorted, but now it really seems more realistic.

I've been listening to the new firmware for about 4 hours. There's really a good improvement. I doubt anyone will want the previous version. I just don't know what the version with two USB ports is, because I'm using the version that has only one...

16 hours ago, TubeMan said:

if we don't like the sound of the new fw,
where is the backup of the old fw !!

If you don't like the sound, I can send you the old firwmare, but there've been no complaints yet. 

Which version of the card do you use? 

16 hours ago, andru26 said:

What changes in SQ should we expect from this upgrade?

Less dryness, more music. Felipe's report above is spot on

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

33 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

Can confirm that this Firmware works excellent on PPA USB V3/4 Card ,
With great result
both are based on NEC/RENESAS uPD720201 chip

But everyone flash on ther on risk !!

Wow that is cool..........I wonder if it would work on a PPA V2 card.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

Thanks, guys. I will try it this weekend!

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

I have the JCAT Femto USB card in my Audio PC to output music. I use a PPA V2 to input music drives on my control PC. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference in SQ.

22 hours ago, TubeMan said:

Can confirm that this Firmware works excellent on PPA USB V3/4 Card ,
With great result
both are based on NEC/RENESAS uPD720201 chip

But everyone flash on ther on risk !!

PPA Card is based on μPD720202

JCAT USB Card FEMTO is based on μPD720201. 

It's not the same firmware, some options are not available in μPD720202, so use at own risk. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder