IGNORED

Jcat launches the new, 'Femto' USB card

Elberoth

Thanks for the reply, Marcin.

Can you please let me know if the Crystek CCHD-957 has the same function as the SOtM sCLK-48.0 Clock?

Yes, both should reduce jitter. The difference is that Crystek CCHD-957 XO on the JCAT USB Card is just a few millimeters away from the USB chip while Sotm delivers clock signal via 40cm RF Cable.

Regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

That makes very much sense, indeed. But my other thought is that SOtM has an entire card dedicated to this task, while Crystek CCHD-957 XO is a few cm small box on the USB card (no offence intended :)). Do you believe that the end result is comparable?

Best Regards,

Andru

I should not be the one to tell you this as I'm behind JCAT :)

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Yes indeed :).

What can you tell me about JCAT USB Isolator? How big is the sound improvement it makes?

Regarding the USB connection to it, I see that 2 USB cables should be used: one from the PC to the Isolator and the second from the isolator to the DAC.

I already have a very good USB cable and I would like to know whether the addition of a second cable (eg: JCAT USB-ISO Cable) could change the sound signature in any way.

Thanks,

Andru

Please check user reviews here at CA :)

The USB cable from the Isolator to a DAC is more important.

Regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/22/2017 at 11:26 AM, pam1975 said:

hi guys, do we have a comparison of the JCAT femto vs microrendu? I read the thread but I didn't seem to see one...

In my opinion such a comparison does not make sense, because microrendu is a complete hardware & software solution where only a power supply is a variable, and JCAT USB Card FEMTO is 'just' a USB Audio output.

The results with the JCAT USB Card FEMTO can be so much different depending on the system where it's installed, starting from motherboard, CPU, RAM, OS drive selection, power supply for the PC, not to mention which software is used and how it is configured. 

However, some users have done that comparison. You may find the results online. 

Best regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

13 minutes ago, chauphuong said:

Thanks. Mine is the one in this link (200 x 60 x 225mm):

http://kimlongcomputer.com/minibox-e-w60-silver-kem-ngu-n-120w.html

Do you think the card will fit? By the way, this is my mainboard:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=728

Please advise if the femto card can get in? Sorry for all noob questions.

The enclosure is only 6cm high. The card won't fit in vertical position as it's 8cm with the low-profile bracket. 

However, it will work if you use PCIe riser cable and put it horizontally :) 

Biostar motherboard is fine. It's equipped with one PCIe x1 slot which is exactly what's needed. 

Best regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/30/2018 at 12:24 PM, One and a half said:

The other issue is that are standards for ATX power supplies are built to require them to maintain voltage levels within tolerances, and for values at 5V at high currents or 1.3V, that's not so simple. For the JCAT card, the 5V is not a major problem, since the current demand is small. Wasn't there a problem with the SOtM tX-USBexp that if the 5V external failed, the card would smoke?

From Sotm

"The external power input voltage is +6.5V  +9Vdc, and the input current is 2A max.

While using the external power supply, please connect the internal 4 pin IDE power connector. This is to protect in any case if the external power get fails."

developer-specs-atx2_2.PDF

JCAT will not smoke if external 5V PSUs goes off - it will switch to PCIe power automatically. 

Best regards,
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 4 weeks later...
On 12.04.2018 at 5:01 PM, jermaink said:

How much PCIe bandwidth can the JCAT cards utilise? Is there any point having it in an x4 slot rather than a x1 slot?

PCIe x1 is enough. But if you have a choice, I'd recommend installing the card in a x16 slot which often connects directly to a CPU. (you'd need to check the motherboard's block diagram though to be sure)

BR,
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 8 months later...
16 hours ago, TubeMan said:

if we don't like the sound of the new fw,
where is the backup of the old fw !!

If you don't like the sound, I can send you the old firwmare, but there've been no complaints yet. 

Which version of the card do you use? 

16 hours ago, andru26 said:

What changes in SQ should we expect from this upgrade?

Less dryness, more music. Felipe's report above is spot on

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

22 hours ago, TubeMan said:

Can confirm that this Firmware works excellent on PPA USB V3/4 Card ,
With great result
both are based on NEC/RENESAS uPD720201 chip

But everyone flash on ther on risk !!

PPA Card is based on μPD720202

JCAT USB Card FEMTO is based on μPD720201. 

It's not the same firmware, some options are not available in μPD720202, so use at own risk. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, Nenon said:

I can confirm that too as I am listening to a computer I just built for a friend of mine. Switching from the JCAT to any of the motherboard USB ports collapses the entire sound stage, makes the sound flatter and harsher, the bass becomes boomier with less accuracy. Also, some motherboard USB ports sound better than other, but the JCAT USB output is way better. 

The good thing is if one wants to hear what 'jitter' sounds like in digital audio, the switching between the JCAT USB output and the motherboard USB makes it really easy to hear :). 

3 hours ago, One and a half said:

Which goes to prove that using 'raw' USB from a desktop/server/laptop should not be used. Although I don't use the Femto USB board everyday now, it was a no brainer to install the JCAT net Femto for Ethernet with similar results.

Exactly. And using a good linear PSU with the USB (or NET) card unveils true potential of the USB connection for audio playback, which some people consider not worth using in a high-end audio system.  The full USB chain must be pristine in order to enjoy sound quality at the highest level.  

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

18 hours ago, MrSprout said:

I've just ordered mine in the hope it will be delivered before Bexit. 😱    My SoTM card broke and the PPAv2 was never as good as the SoTM one.  So now I'm hoping the JCAT is better than both...

Can I check a few things though:

1. If it was dispatched from Poland this week, which version of the firmware will it have?

2. How do I check the firmware number?

3. What are the best jumper settings to drive an original HiFace EVO with a single USB cable and powered by a MCRU 5v LPSU? 

I don't believe the EVO needs power from the USB port, but I'm not 100% sure on that (I could toggle the ground-lift switch on the back of the SoTM card without issue) and the MCRU should provide decent regulation.

Thanks

Thanks. I hope you  will be satisfied with the performance. 

1. It has the latest 2.0 firmware

2. If you want to double check, please run the firmware again - it takes only a few seconds: https://jcat.eu/usb-card-femto-gets-a-free-update-to-ver-2-0/

3. I'd remove all jumpers from the card. Then only the USB chipset and the clock will be powered (no 5V via USB ports) 

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

9 minutes ago, MrSprout said:

Thanks, that's all set up and running nicely.

I'm using an EVGA Z370 Micro which has very pleasant and open sounding USB ports on board, but it lacks the rhythm that my older gaming boards such as the Maximus VIII Impact had.  Listening with the JCAT installed it seems to have got its rhythm back. There's also more detail and weightier bass than before, so all good so far. 😀

Good to hear! Give it a good burn-in  (about a week) and it will sound even better. Enjoy! :)  

Best regards,
Marcin 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...