IGNORED

Jcat launches the new, 'Femto' USB card

Elberoth

I didn't have the time to test the isolator just yet.

I have never tried the SOtM tx-USBexp card combined with sCLK-48.0 Clock.

Thanks for the reply.

I am debating whether to purchase the new Jcat Femto card or the SOtM tx-USBexp and sCLK-48.0 Clock combo, but so far I didn't find any direct comparison between them.

PS: I realise I am going out of topic , but could you let me know why did you choose Teradak full ATX linear PSU instead of HD Plex LPSU + HDPLEX HiFi 250W DC-ATX combo?

Yes, both should reduce jitter. The difference is that Crystek CCHD-957 XO on the JCAT USB Card is just a few millimeters away from the USB chip while Sotm delivers clock signal via 40cm RF Cable.

Regards,

Marcin

That makes very much sense, indeed. But my other thought is that SOtM has an entire card dedicated to this task, while Crystek CCHD-957 XO is a few cm small box on the USB card (no offence intended :)). Do you believe that the end result is comparable?

Best Regards,

Andru

I should not be the one to tell you this as I'm behind JCAT :)

Yes indeed :).

What can you tell me about JCAT USB Isolator? How big is the sound improvement it makes?

Regarding the USB connection to it, I see that 2 USB cables should be used: one from the PC to the Isolator and the second from the isolator to the DAC.

I already have a very good USB cable and I would like to know whether the addition of a second cable (eg: JCAT USB-ISO Cable) could change the sound signature in any way.

Thanks,

Andru

The size of the board doesn't say much about the clock performance. You would need to see phase noise graphs to judge its performance, but unfortunately, SOtM doesn't provide any to back up their design (Stuff like Symmetricon TSC5115A meter that is used to measure phase noise cost a small fortune - over $50k new - and very few equipment manufacturers even have one).

The XO chosen by Jact for their design - CCHD-957 - is one of the very best sub $100 oscillators available. Coupled to the ultra low noise voltage regulators used, it should provide close to state of the art results.

I agree with you when saying size doesn't matter. Sometimes small well engineered products can sound much better than poor engineered large ones. Thanks much for your explanation. This is really helpful.

Could you please share your impressions on the Jcat Femto compared to the old one?

Thanks!

Andru

• 5 months later...
When using an asynchronous USB DAC, do these type of USB card still matter? Thanks.

Hi Robert, I have this card with asynchronous USB DAC and the difference between listening through this card vs. listening through a regular motherboard USB port is BIG. I would say that this USB card is one of the best investments I made in my system.

• 1 year later...