IGNORED

P2P renting of hi-fi and hi-end audio - what do you think?

vasianya

Hi everyone. Just as an idea - what would you say to P2P renting of hi-fi & hi-end audio? Sounds interesting to me, as many of audio geeks (like my husband) have devices they won't use but won't part with either. Lending them for some cash and renting from others something that you have never tried / tested before... Might you be interested? Any pros and cons? Any ideas welcome! Thanks.

Hi everyone. Just as an idea - what would you say to P2P renting of hi-fi & hi-end audio? Sounds interesting to me, as many of audio geeks (like my husband) have devices they won't use but won't part with either. Lending them for some cash and renting from others something that you have never tried / tested before... Might you be interested? Any pros and cons? Any ideas welcome! Thanks.

Wonderful idea Vasianya. But I suspect the details would have more devils than a political rally.........

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Please direct me to the rental page on Audiogon.

Regards.

No need to. Most of the people trading on AG do so with this mindset. "I can buy a preamp for $2000 and resell it a month or two later and maybe loose $100." I've been on the site for years, and that's just how most people over there think. To be honest, I don't agree with the whole concept. You're more likely to make better choices if there are higher consequences for your actions.

No need to. Most of the people trading on AG do so with this mindset. "I can buy a preamp for $2000 and resell it a month or two later and maybe loose $100." I've been on the site for years, and that's just how most people over there think. To be honest, I don't agree with the whole concept. You're more likely to make better choices if there are higher consequences for your actions.

I think the suggestion was more... I have this amplifier I'm not currently using but don't want to get rid of altogether. Instead of just storing it in the loft, why not let someone else use it for the time being knowing if I change my mind I can get it back.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"You're more likely to make better choices if there are higher consequences for your actions."

I didn't realize that there were Calvinist audiophiles within our midst.

"Borrowing" on Audiogon is one of life's little pleasures. This hobby is supposed to be fun, after all. Sometimes, nothing beats crappy week at work like an impulse buy on Audiogon that you can always flip in a month or two.

I love your thinking - innovation is art! But I fear the cons far outweigh the pros. Physical damage is probably the biggest fly in that ointment, because "no one takes better care of his (or her) equipment than I do!" Nicks, scratches, and the wear & tear of ordinary use will multiply in the custody of the renter and/or the eye of the owner.

Is ordinary wear (e.g. tubes, mechanical controls, etc) covered by the rental fee? What performance guarantees will be sought and offered, and how will the parties determine that the item meets its spec both on delivery and on return? Who will pay the considerable cost of shipping and insuring, especially for large and/or heavy items? Who's responsible for defining and assessing alleged damage?

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe this is the next Craigslist, although I'm not sold. So if you're serious about it, you might want to test the waters with a marketing survey (e.g. Survey Monkey - it may not be an acceptable topic for a CA poll). You'd need a distribution list of audiophiles to whom you'd send it.

"You're more likely to make better choices if there are higher consequences for your actions."

I didn't realize that there were Calvinist audiophiles within our midst.

"Borrowing" on Audiogon is one of life's little pleasures. This hobby is supposed to be fun, after all. Sometimes, nothing beats crappy week at work like an impulse buy on Audiogon that you can always flip in a month or two.

Call it whatever you want, but its the truth. I've been on AG for about 15 years and the people who keep changing their equipment are never happy. Why? They never learn. If they don't get the easy results they hope for, they sell and get something else. Before the internet got popular with audiophiles, we knew that when we bought something expensive and it didn't work out, a lot of money was lost.

Instead of trying to tie everything into some obscure political classification to make yourself feel smart, why not look at the issue with some simple common sense? If you take the time to make a better choice when shopping for your system, you may be happier with the results.

To be honest, I don't agree with the whole concept. You're more likely to make better choices if there are higher consequences for your actions.

I do not think rent-a-highend-hifi will fly, but for different reasons.

There really is nothing about audio, high end or otherwise, that is life or death. Or even something that can bring serious consenquences. (Shrug)

One can easily waste money, spend too much, get bamboozled, and so on, yes. But unless one is foolish enough to spend the mortgage money on that sweet new DAC, or one has some kind of shopping addiction, nothing more serious than being ashamed at being foolish and a reduction in the bank account will result.

YMMV, etc.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

There really is nothing about audio, high end or otherwise, that is life or death. Or even something that can bring serious consenquences. (Shrug)

One can easily waste money, spend too much, get bamboozled, and so on, yes. But unless one is foolish enough to spend the mortgage money on that sweet new DAC, or one has some kind of shopping addiction, nothing more serious than being ashamed at being foolish and a reduction in the bank account will result.

YMMV, etc.

Keep in mind that some people rent rims for their cars :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems

YMMV, etc.

depends on the area and the demographics of that area. In my town NO it will never work. But a place like Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville it could work.

And like Chris noted, people rent rims for their cars, not to mention the cars to put them on.

The Truth Is Out There

I love your thinking - innovation is art! But I fear the cons far outweigh the pros. Physical damage is probably the biggest fly in that ointment, because "no one takes better care of his (or her) equipment than I do!" Nicks, scratches, and the wear & tear of ordinary use will multiply in the custody of the renter and/or the eye of the owner.

Is ordinary wear (e.g. tubes, mechanical controls, etc) covered by the rental fee? What performance guarantees will be sought and offered, and how will the parties determine that the item meets its spec both on delivery and on return? Who will pay the considerable cost of shipping and insuring, especially for large and/or heavy items? Who's responsible for defining and assessing alleged damage?

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe this is the next Craigslist, although I'm not sold. So if you're serious about it, you might want to test the waters with a marketing survey (e.g. Survey Monkey - it may not be an acceptable topic for a CA poll). You'd need a distribution list of audiophiles to whom you'd send it.

Bluesman has it right. As I stated above, rent/lease is a great idea, but if the cat pees on the tube amp, that is a problem. (If the amp is on, good bye cat!) Maybe an insurance option?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Bluesman has it right. As I stated above, rent/lease is a great idea, but if the cat pees on the tube amp, that is a problem. (If the amp is on, good bye cat!) Maybe an insurance option?

There are definitely potential issues, but nothing that can't be dealt with. Insurance option is great.

Similar to renting a car, if the cat pees in it, you hope the rental company doesn't smell it upon return (did I just say that?), your card is charged for the cleaning fee.

Keep in mind that some people rent rims for their cars :~)

Oh my stars... I had to google that to be sure you were not pulling my leg. :(

I wonder if an audio rent-the-thing would devolve into something as nasty as that rent a rim business. If so, it would sure be a black mark on the high end audio business.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Actually, I was wondering why manufacturers don't do this? Lay aside say 100 units, then just rent them out for some duration, and computing insurance into the cost.

Would this p*** off dealers? :-)

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

I nominate Chris to purchase equipment, list it, ship it, bill fairly by the month, oh and how about he start a new section with users comments and reviews!

PS. Please put me first in line for the Sonus faber Olympica II's.

Sure, what could go wrong with putting a ton of cash out there up front :~)