IGNORED

Big Financial Losses at Tidal

The major market for streaming services is, IMO, the market that used to be served by radio. And they aren't big spenders--music is just a soundtrack for daily activity.

Only a minority listen seriously and choose deliberately.

Greg

The numbers do not point that out. When you look the music industry figures you see a shift from online music buying (downloads) to online music stream. The decline of the one is roughly the rise of the other.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

More time browsing, less time listening (attentively).

No Roon for me, thanks. I'm done with addictive substances.

R

Nope. More time for both. It's addictive in the sense that I'm able to listen to so much more music! Now if only ECM would get off their high horse and offer their catalog on SOME streaming service.

It's pretty clear that the music listening public at large is really jumping onto the streaming music paradigm so in my opinion they (the streaming services) just need to figure out how to pay the artists and still make money. I assume the players feel that there will be a tipping point somewhere along the way where there are enough subscribers and enough momentum that it starts to be profitable. I don't think they're going to be able to put the genie back in the bottle now that listeners have had the ability to listen to SO much music whenever and wherever they choose.

David

I'm not yet into streaming. I've always been happy to build a library of my own. However, with the demise of many radio stations you lose the necessary "DJ's" to curate on your behalf, introducing you to new music. And I never really got on board with MTV and its progeny (no jazz/classical/world). But I also gave up liner notes for CDs. With Roon I get much of that back, and more.

I don't fit with the majority of the public consumers of music. So, I suppose it's best to figure out what would entice them to buy what they listen to. Today, artists go on the road and perform live to generate interest and, hopefully, music sales. If that works then the customer, if they're streaming, add them to an existing playlist, or actually go out an acquire the song/album of choice. Seems that a company like Amazon is best positioned to deliver most any form and format a customer would want - streaming or purchase. The only thing they are missing is their own hardware (purchase Pono and be done with it; unless their experience with Kindle has not been a runaway success, financially). Typically consumers want simplicity. Whether they're willing to pay for it, and how remains to be seen. Maybe Gillette has the right model: give away the razor and make it up on the blades.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Curious to hear what you found difficult about ripping a CD and having it sound the same as the original? I'm not trying to be funny, just curious.

I don't know. The rips were from my Macbook. Bit perfect.

But they sounded nothing like CD playback. I played them on a Naim NDX which is supposed to have a very good clock.

Streaming Tidal is much closer. But there is a lot network noise and interference that has to be addressed. But that's doable.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

None of the streaming services make any money unless they are lucky enough to sell themselves.

I've kept a log of this for a long time and I began making it public last year.

Why Streaming Struggles

The record labels have always looked at these businesses as a wolf might look at a rabbit.

Do you figure the labels impose the cost structure they do because they want the streaming business for themselves, or just because they can?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Why not just rip a thousand CDs and call it a day? That's what I'm doing...

I already have several thousand cd's ripped. That has no relationship to the new music, or music I don't yet own, that I listen to on Tidal. I estimate that if Tidal went under next week, to create remotely the same listening options I have now (the ones I use on a regular basis) would cost me literally many thousands of dollars!

JC

Do you figure the labels impose the cost structure they do because they want the streaming business for themselves, or just because they can?

I'd say the latter, the music industry has always been this way, back from the 80s the artists were suing the labels.

In a way they dug their own grave with their narrow vision and narrow mindedness.

Thankfully the movie industry (though they are not making any great profits either) seem to be more open. I'm paying/using multiple services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and also the free Crackle. PQ is great, FHD and some 4K, no HD audio, but thankfully at least Dolby Digital, and there is always something to look forward to like right now its OLED, HEVC, and HDR making a huge difference in the PQ.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I already have several thousand cd's ripped. That has no relationship to the new music, or music I don't yet own, that I listen to on Tidal. I estimate that if Tidal went under next week, to create remotely the same listening options I have now (the ones I use on a regular basis) would cost me literally many thousands of dollars!

JC

Yep . 2-3 thousand minimum in my estimation .

About 12.5 years of listening to Tidal !(3,000 divided into 240 dollars)

I think its because they can. If I want to start a streaming or download service, I have to get the major record labels' agreements. I have no choice. It really is a monopoly.

The other problem is that the labels are top heavy. They have a lot of expensive people in very nice offices. Their culture is part of the problem. Digital has always been a threat because of piracy, so they've been very slow to embrace it. Piracy doesn't help.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com