IGNORED

Big Financial Losses at Tidal

I once met one of the early investors in Spotify on a plane. Seemed like a nice guy. No idea how much of it he owns/controls today.

If he was *really* nice, he would have cut you in for a piece. ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Isn't that what it always was?

Fancy metadata (including the ability to look at other works by the same composer/artist/conductor/producer, etc.) about stuff you don't own yet is arguably more valuable than fancy metadata about stuff you own and already know relatively well. So same application, but the context of a streaming service may make it more interesting/valuable to the customer.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16-bit quality.

Could be seen as an oxymoron. :)

Fancy metadata (including the ability to look at other works by the same composer/artist/conductor/producer, etc.) about stuff you don't own yet is arguably more valuable than fancy metadata about stuff you own and already know relatively well. So same application, but the context of a streaming service may make it more interesting/valuable to the customer.

Point taken. Speaks to my unfamiliarity with Roon.

Point taken. Speaks to my unfamiliarity with Roon.

Not that I know much about it myself - have just seen friends use it a couple of times.

I live in a high-speed internet challenged area so don't use streaming services but it seems to me that if Tidal is losing that much money then by extension the artist-investors are losing too, how long before some start to jump ship?

On a somewhat related note I read about a week ago or so that the record companies are starting a crackdown on exclusives. That should level the playing field between the services as it relates to content and it plays into the hands of the largest players.

Jim

You got it. Having both your library and access to a MUCH larger one with reviews, etc is addicting. Makes for easy ongoing exploration and discovery.

David

This tells me that the "average consumer" (depending on definition) does not care about 16-bit quality.

Not just the average, most of the world doesn't care. Pretty much everyone I know listens to MP3s. Most folks don't even want to pay for music anymore, they are extremely happy with YouTube or the free tier of Spotify.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Why not just rip a thousand CDs and call it a day? That's what I'm doing...

I did just that, with my over 3000 CD collection, and then some more from my parents.

Because for $20 per month you can access millions of CDs without ripping or shipping or any time spent. The new Jack White CD just came out. I had it via Tidal instantly.

And it's not just about new CDs and albums, you get to listen to a ton of free music and discover new music from the 50s, 60s all the way through to the 90s and beyond.

I subscribe to streaming services like IHeartRadio, Slacker Radio, Spotify, TuneIn Radio, etc. the good news is they are available on practically every device, Chromecast devices, smartphones, and even PCs and laptops on Windows 10 as apps from the Microsoft Store. Thanks to the Internet, music discovery and listening to new music is so much easy, practically impossible unless your best friend bought the tape/CD and lent it to you before MP3 and Sean Parker happened.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Because for $20 per month you can access millions of CDs without ripping or shipping or any time spent. The new Jack White CD just came out. I had it via Tidal instantly.

Except that the great majority of the jazz CDs I listen to all the time are not there. ECM does not do streaming at all, and most of the very small labels with the most adventurous new music you can only get as CDs or on places like Bandcamp as FLAC (also sometimes as lossy on iTunes or Amazon, but that's not what we are talking about).

You got it. Having both your library and access to a MUCH larger one with reviews, etc is addicting. Makes for easy ongoing exploration and discovery.

More time browsing, less time listening (attentively).

No Roon for me, thanks. I'm done with addictive substances.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

IMO Tidal is only good for discovery and background music listening. Nothing wrong with that by the way. It's hard to ignore though that it doesn't really sound as good as "CD Quality".

In the end, all these alternative forms of music delivery boil down to just another flavor of the month. Records & CD's and maybe even Tape will once again circle back around once enough people realize that the best available has already been invented and is sitting in your attic collecting dust :)

More time browsing, less time listening (attentively).

No Roon for me, thanks. I'm done with addictive substances.

R

I agree. Keeping up with all the music choices with Tidal and my own collection (while convenient and $ saving) causes me to listen to more stuff but shallower.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I agree . I have also written down the albums I would buy if Tidal shut down and the amount exceeds 2,000 dollars easily .

So Tidal is saving me money .

I agree . I have also written down the albums I would buy if Tidal shut down and the amount exceeds 2,000 dollars easily .

So Tidal is saving me money .

I pay roughly £3.5 for a CD (as I hardly ever buy new); $2000 would buy me over 400 of them.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

We need to see it all in a bit of perspective as well. At the moment, there is not a single streaming service that is profitable, let alone has a positive free cash flow. In other words, even mighty Spotify is tethering on the brink, which is why they seek a listing to get new cash. And Apple has so much cash it can sponsor its music service for some time to come while the losses get burried in the larger (iPhone) picture. Within that context, Tidal's financial results are not really any worse than of its competitors.

The second thing is that the lastest music industry figures show that online sales (i.e. downloads) are markedly slowing down due to the rise in streaming. Solid media sales (CD/Vinyl/Cassette etc.) are fairly stable at around 25%. So, the consumer has chosen and streaming is definetely a way forward. It also sheds light on Apple's strategy. It is entirely defensive. Seeing their iTunes business dry up in the long run, left them with no other choice but to get into the streaming business.

The problem that Tidal has is that its strategy to attract users is not working. Its growth pace is significantly slower than Spotify's and Apple Music's. Until they solve that problem, they're in danger. But once they do, it is certain some investor will step forward to plug any gaps.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

IMO Tidal is only good for discovery and background music listening. Nothing wrong with that by the way. It's hard to ignore though that it doesn't really sound as good as "CD Quality".

In the end, all these alternative forms of music delivery boil down to just another flavor of the month. Records & CD's and maybe even Tape will once again circle back around once enough people realize that the best available has already been invented and is sitting in your attic collecting dust :)

That ole Internet is just a fad as well :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png