IGNORED

Big Financial Losses at Tidal

Might not be a good idea to pay the subscription fee in advance...

Jay-Z's streaming service Tidal 'posts huge losses' | Daily Mail Online

This is extremely disheartening news. Having lived with Tidal for a long time now, I find I've become very dependent on it for music enjoyment which is a major part of my daily life. If Tidal goes under, and no one replaces them in offering streaming cd quality music (and I don't think anyone is remotely ready to) well over half of my music listening will be instantly destroyed.

While I do make a definite effort to purchase music by artists I have discovered or increased my exposure to on Tidal, it would cost me thousands of dollars to reach a point where I could remain even, in terms of what I often listen to, at this point in time, much less allowing for what the future would bring.

JC

With Apple denying rumors of basically a bailout of Tidal in the works this does not look promising. We'll see just how smart of a businessman JayZ is as this moves forward and he needs to cut or face even more losses moving forward. From my perspective it would seem like Roon should be scrambling to find another streaming partner such as Spotify if it wants to keep any momentum in the marketplace.

I agree that SOME streaming service needs to be integrated into Roon. It really turns Roon into a much better discovery tool.

David

With Apple denying rumors of basically a bailout of Tidal in the works this does not look promising. We'll see just how smart of a businessman JayZ is as this moves forward and he needs to cut or face even more losses moving forward. From my perspective it would seem like Roon should be scrambling to find another streaming partner such as Spotify if it wants to keep any momentum in the marketplace.

I agree that SOME streaming service needs to be integrated into Roon. It really turns Roon into a much better discovery tool.

Roon needs to work with a company like 7 Digital to white label it's own built-in streaming service for Roon customers.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Roon needs to work with a company like 7 Digital to white label it's own built-in streaming service for Roon customers.

Ideally yes, but - I wonder if the protracted Pono negotiations are any indication that this course might not be financial nirvana for Roon either?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Ideally yes, but - I wonder if the protracted Pono negotiations are any indication that this course might not be financial nirvana for Roon either?

It's not cheap to front the cash that's needed to offer a streaming service, even if it's through 7 Digital's white label service. It probably doesn't make sense for Roon financially, but it would be so awesome for us customers :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Agreed. Very uncertain times in the streaming space right now and any large investment in it is at risk. I'd look to the two major players if I was Roon and I doubt if Apple would be interested so that essentially leaves Spotify.

If Spotify had a cd quality tier it would be a natural fit with Roon.

David

I am not a Roon user and have stop following Roon discussions. If Roon does not have an integrated streaming service, doesn't it become just a fancy metadata program?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

This is, of course, all predicated on the assumption that the Daily Mail report about Tidal is true. Not something I'd have a great deal of confidence in.

Not because I don't believe it about Tidal, but because the Daily Mail hasn't always shown itself to be above publishing headlines for headines' sake.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Agreed. Very uncertain times in the streaming space right now and any large investment in it is at risk. I'd look to the two major players if I was Roon and I doubt if Apple would be interested so that essentially leaves Spotify.

If Spotify had a cd quality tier it would be a natural fit with Roon.

There have been rumors for a couple of years that Spotify would offer a lossless sub .

Haven't seen any talk about it lately though .

One of the things I read is that the lossless end of their business was growing and, while a small portion of the whole, might bode well for that business being spun off.

In that case the question is if the lossless service on it's own can support the infrastructure needed for a streaming service. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't, unless it continues to grow.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)