IGNORED

Play DSD files from Auralic Femto to Musical Fidelity M6 DAC

Hi Stefan!

I can only reply to your post in part - I have the Musical Fidelity M6 DAC but not the Auralic player. Instead I use a DIY player inspired by CAPS - see Computer Audiophile - C.A.P.S.

I use JRiver MC22 on Win10/64 to play my files to the M6 and this I can do successfully with any file (PCM and DSD) due to audio settings in JRiver. The M6 does not accept DSD as such, only DoP. This is probably the reason why your combo is not playing DSD.

Hope you can find a setting or workaround for this - the M6 is a very musical DAC indeed!

Göran

I am using the last firmware 4.0 by Auralic. My Femto is connected by USB to my Musical Fidelity M6 DAC and plays all audio files perfectly.

But I cannot play any DSD files to the M6. I tried everything: switched DSD to pcm off etc with no success

Sorry for appearing pedantic, but also in the interest of letting the forum be informed, DACs do not 'play' (& neither do they even receive) audio files.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Okay. We know that. You are right.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

The M6 can not receive DSD directly, it must be convert to PCM. The 4.0 version provide a conversion from DSD to PCM (only for DSD64).

Can you check something please : Send a PCM file in 24/176.4Khz to your DAC and a 24/88.2 to check if your DAC can accept those kind of file.

Normally, DSD is converted in 24bit / 176.4Khz by the Aries (88.2 claimed by the auralic site, but i think it's an error)

My mistake, convert DSD64 to PCM is generally 16/176.4 (in bandwith, equivalent to 1/2.8224Mhz). With a 24bit resolution it's 24/88.2 (in bandwith, equivalent to 1/2.1168Mhz).

Does the M6 display something on the screen ? For sure you have to disable DoP in the Aries.

Hi deuch,

I very think that you are right. Aries can't convert a higher rate. Tests with DSD 64 are positive! But with higher rates Auralic cannot play with M6 DAC. Thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Yep resampling of DSD128 and DSD256 is not possible (maybe now, or it will be with the future new aries ?).

Maybe the new High end aries will handle resampling on the fly, DSD512 etc ... To have a clear difference with the actual one