IGNORED

How to route signals to Acourate Convolver using ASIO4ALL, VB-Cable?

Keith_W

This is the scenario. I am using Acourate Convolver to generate an active crossover for my system. Therefore, ALL audio signals need to go through Acourate Convolver.

With media players like HQPlayer, JRiver, Foobar, etc - it is easy. I just select "AcourateASIO" as the default output. It works.

However, I also want Youtube videos to go through Acourate Convolver. I downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL and VB Cable and VB Cable's ASIO bridge, but I can not get it to work.

This is my understanding of how these programs work (PLEASE correct me if I am wrong!):

- Google Chrome: uses the default WDM output

- ASIO4ALL: takes an ASIO input and routes it to a WDM input

- VB Cable: takes a WDM input and routes it to VB Cable ASIO bridge

- VB Cable ASIO bridge: takes an ASIO input and routes it to an ASIO input

- AcourateASIO: takes an ASIO input and routes it to the DAC

So, this is what I did (also please correct me, because these settings don't work!):

- Set "default audio output device" (under Windows sound settings) to VB Cable, sample rate set to 44100Hz: this forces all Windows sound to go to VB Cable.

- Set VB Cable ASIO bridge to output to AcourateASIO (Acourate sample rate set to 44100): this makes AcourateASIO crash.

If I set VB Cable ASIO bridge to ASIO4ALL, it does nothing. Probably because it is routing the audio to WDM, which I don't want.

What do I need to do?

Thank you for your reply.

I think the reason Acourate Convolver is crashing is because it is being fed a signal which is not 44100Hz. I am under the impression that VB Cable has a SRC (sample rate converter) but I am not sure.

The error message Acourate Convolver goes something like, "Exception at xxxxxxx", not very helpful. I have not looked in the AcourateASIO log. If it makes sense to you, I can post it.

IF ASIO4ALL takes a WDM input and routes it to an ASIO output ... then I should be able to set Google Chrome to output to ASIO4ALL, and get ASIO4ALL to route that signal to Acourate Convolver? How do you do that?

I have not yet tried to set VB Cable ASIO Bridge to a 2ch ASIO driver. I really don't know what I am doing.

Thanks Bibo. Your approach makes sense.

BTW, the setup is further complicated by the fact that I am using a Merging NADAC MC-8 - i.e. it talks to Windows via ASIO only and has no USB input. I am therefore unable to set system sound to my DAC. I DO have another DAC in the garage, so i'll use that to determine what sample rate Windows is attempting to send.

If you're using JRiver then I'd have thought that you could use JRiver's WDM driver to route audio fromyoutube through JRiver and then just output to AcourateAsio as per usual. I'm not at my laptop but you enable WDM within JRiver options and the select JRiver WDM as the default sound device in Windows Sound & Hardware.

Oh, that sounds like a much more straightforward solution! Thank you! I wasn't aware that JRiver was able to do that. I'll go take a look.