IGNORED

The End of Speaker Cables.?

sphinxsix

There is WiSA.

Thanks Eloise, I was just about to mention the WiSA standard.

(Wireless 7.1, up to 24/96, Rapid error detection and recovery, 5 ms fixed latency, ± 1 µs speaker-to-speaker delay)

Members includes: Bang & Olufsen, Fostex, Kipsch, LG, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Pioneer, PolkAudio & TEAC.

If your sound is stored in digital form, why would you translate it to analogue before absolutely necessary?

Digital transfer can be made 100% lossless, nothing else can.

And why would it improve matters to force the amps to drive speakers through a filter

Also, why be so arrogant and think you know better than the professionals how to combine amps and speakers?

I.e. actives are the way to go ;-)

I run AES3 digital speaker cables (the professional version of S/PDIF), but the wiring kaos is killing me - even for my little 5.1 rig (6 signal cables + 6 control cables).

WiSA is the best bid for now, but let's hope they expand the number of channels to 16.

I do get 10m absolute high end & 100% lossless speaker cable for EUR 30 / USD 34 ;-)

PS. I don't think Bluetooth is anywhere close to audiophile standards.

(despite being named after the Danish Viking King Harald Blåtand, that claimed the terrible deed of christening the Danes).

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Hi @DigiPete - I think many of us who convert to analog before the power amps are doing so because the pros outweigh the cons of a more digital system. And by pros I mean better sound quality.

I would love to see a modular digital speaker that enabled me to plug in a DAC module from manufacturer ABC and amps from manufacturer XYZ. This would be the best of all worlds.

I admit it's slim pickings of high end pure digital systems, but I have actually auditioned both sides of the fence before I drank the Kool-Ade. There was no comparison.

How many here can truly say that, rather than just voicing their untested bias?

The modular active digital input speaker may help push over some old-schoolers, but isn't it just another version of the "we amateurs know better than the educated professional engineers with the big labs at the manufacturer's"?

Chris, I would love to audition your TAD CR1's with all the trimmings up against Genelec SAM Coaxial Studio Monitors and Steinway-Lyngdorf equipment.

I'm sure everybody would get a run for their money.

The new BeoLab 90 is WISA capable.

Thanks for letting us know!

Interesting and awesome new Danish product.

18 drivers, 18 DAC's & 18 amps - talk about going all in.

I am enjoying a pair of them now............but with wires.

The Beolab 5's were quite good - nice imaging with the acoustic lenses but the room correction was somewhat limited.

Despite being expensive lifestyle speaker, BL5 are cost efficient compared to old school audiophile products.

However, they can't compete with active digital input monitors like Genelec Coaxial Studio Monitors or Steinway Lyngdorf's entry model S

Bang & Olufsen usually does not have my attention.

I'll be looking forward to reading your review of the Beolab 90's from a technology point of view.

It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up!