IGNORED

USB Flash or SSD?

Adding the Jitterbug seemed to balance out the two. The SD card becomes a little more vibrant, and the USB drive becomes a little more toned down and warmer.

This confirms what I suggested previously about improved power to the card reader.

The Jitterbug is giving a little more filtering of the +5V supply, although it would most likely be more effective if both it and the USB device were plugged directly into adjoining rear motherboard USB ports.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

This confirms what I suggested previously about improved power to the card reader.

The Jitterbug is giving a little more filtering of the +5V supply, although it would most likely be more effective if both it and the USB device were plugged directly into adjoining rear motherboard USB ports.

I should clarify that I'm plugging directly into the network receiver, there's no computer or network in the chain.

I was interested to know whether it was the SanDisk SD card specifically that had the "sound" that it had. I haven't used SD cards for years but found an old Class 6 Transcend 8GB SD card that I purchased in 2008. It was full of photos which I deleted and BlackMagic indicated it had just over 10MB/s write speed and 20MB/s read speed.

Plugged into the Lexar SR2 reader it sounded very similar to the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD card but didn't have that slight dullness in the upper midrange. I A/B-ed them a few times and confirmed what I was hearing. The SanDisk could be slightly quieter. But both very similar, the Transcend was more enjoyable.

I'm wondering whether this may be down to the extra onboard logic in the controller to handle errors during fast write speeds. The Extreme Pro is rated at 90MB/s write.

I'm interested in trying one of the High Endurance cards from Transcend or SanDisk which are designed for DashCams and have a read/write speed of only 20MB/s.

One more combo, I'm using the very compact SanDisk Ultra Fit USB drive in the car, and I decided to combine it with the JitterBug. Without the Jitterbug it has a very pleasant warm/rich sound but lacks detail, the JitterBug helps add some things that are missing. It's a nice combo.

This reminds me of swapping tubes. Each card/combo has its own flavour.

I should clarify that I'm plugging directly into the network receiver, there's no computer or network in the chain.

I gather that it has at least 2 USB inputs, one of which the reader is plugged into, and the other where the Jitterbug is plugged into ?

If so, the Jitterbug is filtering the internal USB +5V supply a little more, just as it would with a computer.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

I gather that it has at least 2 USB inputs, one of which the reader is plugged into, and the other where the Jitterbug is plugged into ?

If so, the Jitterbug is filtering the internal USB +5V supply a little more, just as it would with a computer.

It only has one port. I've got the USB drive (or SD card reader) plugged into the JitterBug which then plugs into the receiver. Yes it would be filtering the power lines as well as the data lines.

It only has one port. I've got the USB drive (or SD card reader) plugged into the JitterBug which then plugs into the receiver. Yes it would be filtering the power lines as well as the data lines.

In which case both the card reader and USB Memory, or a USB 2.0 SSD would be highly likely to benefit even more with a USB Regen, and either a Linear PSU or a battery supply powering the Regen. Most members appear to find that the Jitterbug only gives a mild improvement.

BTW, how are you getting the music files on to the Reader ?

If you are saving them to the Reader from a PC's USB port, the Regen can also be used in line at that stage for a further SQ improvement.

I have had confirmation from others that files saved to, and played from USB memory are further improved when that is done.

In which case both the card reader and USB Memory, or a USB 2.0 SSD would be highly likely to benefit even more with a USB Regen, and either a Linear PSU or a battery supply powering the Regen. Most members appear to find that the Jitterbug only gives a mild improvement.

BTW, how are you getting the music files on to the Reader ?

If you are saving them to the Reader from a PC's USB port, the Regen can also be used in line at that stage for a further SQ improvement.

I have had confirmation from others that files saved to, and played from USB memory are further improved when that is done.

I doubt this makes a difference in network sourced music files when all is optically isolated. But I have an idle jitterbug so will give it a whirl. Hopefully it won't step on data xfer as it did with Doak's Aries trial.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I doubt this makes a difference in network sourced music files when all is optically isolated. But I have an idle jitterbug so will give it a whirl. Hopefully it won't step on data xfer as it did with Doak's Aries trial.

Tried AQ Jitterbug with NAS connected SDXC card, no stutters but a step backward in fidelity. Voices became muddied, and percussion instruments (blocks, bells) became taffy for the hard leading edge sound of when first struck. So I'll continue to use the Jitterbug as intended for laptop plug in USB DAC use.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Tried AQ Jitterbug with NAS connected SDXC card, no stutters but a step backward in fidelity. Voices became muddied, and percussion instruments (blocks, bells) became taffy for the hard leading edge sound of when first struck. So I'll continue to use the Jitterbug as intended for laptop plug in USB DAC use.

Despite the audible differences, you are unlikely to have harmed (or changed) any of those pesky little 1s and 0s in the process . (grin)