IGNORED

Audio Alchemy DDP-1

I recently purchased an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC/Pre-Amp, DPA-1 Stereo amp with the PS-5 PSU, all of which arrived just in time for the long Labor Day weekend. After initial set-up and some initial listening on the Saturday I noticed an issue with the volume on the DDP-1 in that if I used the remote it would race! Likewise when turning on the volume would race upwards and could only be stopped by turning the physical volume knob or frantically pressing -ve volume on the remote.

So I used the contact us page on the Audio Alchemy web site to report my issue along with a couple of other questions. Within the hour I had an email response from Peter Madnick himself, not only replying but suggesting we talk on the phone! Don't forget this is Sat eve on a holiday weekend!

Peter called and after a brief description of the symptoms immediately diagnosed the issue, an out of focus sensor behind the volume knob, likely due to being knocked during shipping. Asking how technical I was Peter offered to walk me through fixing the issue or send a brand new replacement. Being reasonably technical I duly removed the cover to begin the process of adjusting the volume knob. Unfortunately I didn't own the appropriately sized allen key in order to make the adjustment. So without hesitation Peter suggested shipping a replacement and providing a return shipping label for my unit.

I just wanted to publicly acknowledge the amazing customer service I received, especially given the holiday weekend and even more so that the main man called me! Audio Alchemy will certainly have me as a long term customer. I'm already curious about their up coming streamer to see how it compares to my Aries.

I now have my replacement unit and everything is working as expected, now it's time to burn it in and enjoy the music. From what I'm hearing so far this is a fantastic combo!

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

Recalling there's an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC / Preamp & PS-5 Power Supply Review by Chris :

And from which :

PM' date=' near the end, mentions what's to come...

[/font']

:~)

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Recalling there's an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC / Preamp & PS-5 Power Supply Review by Chris :

And from which :

Yeah I saw Chris's review, that along with the Absolute Sound review was one of the things that made me take a look at the Audio Alchemy gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

I recently purchased an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC/Pre-Amp, DPA-1 Stereo amp with the PS-5 PSU, all of which arrived just in time for the long Labor Day weekend. After initial set-up and some initial listening on the Saturday I noticed an issue with the volume on the DDP-1 in that if I used the remote it would race! Likewise when turning on the volume would race upwards and could only be stopped by turning the physical volume knob or frantically pressing -ve volume on the remote.

So I used the contact us page on the Audio Alchemy web site to report my issue along with a couple of other questions. Within the hour I had an email response from Peter Madnick himself, not only replying but suggesting we talk on the phone! Don't forget this is Sat eve on a holiday weekend!

Peter called and after a brief description of the symptoms immediately diagnosed the issue, an out of focus sensor behind the volume knob, likely due to being knocked during shipping. Asking how technical I was Peter offered to walk me through fixing the issue or send a brand new replacement. Being reasonably technical I duly removed the cover to begin the process of adjusting the volume knob. Unfortunately I didn't own the appropriately sized allen key in order to make the adjustment. So without hesitation Peter suggested shipping a replacement and providing a return shipping label for my unit.

I just wanted to publicly acknowledge the amazing customer service I received, especially given the holiday weekend and even more so that the main man called me! Audio Alchemy will certainly have me as a long term customer. I'm already curious about their up coming streamer to see how it compares to my Aries.

I now have my replacement unit and everything is working as expected, now it's time to burn it in and enjoy the music. From what I'm hearing so far this is a fantastic combo!

Happy to hear of your positive experience with Peter and Audio Alchemy. He is one of the nicest and smartest guys in the industry.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Here to add my positive vote on both the DDP-1 and Peter. Exceptional on both counts.

Chris: do you plan on reviewing the DMP-1? Seems to offer quite a bit, especially in concert with the DDP-1. And it's not tied solely to the DDP-1, while also being Roon-ready.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Here to add my positive vote on both the DDP-1 and Peter. Exceptional on both counts.

Chris: do you plan on reviewing the DMP-1? Seems to offer quite a bit, especially in concert with the DDP-1. And it's not tied solely to the DDP-1, while also being Roon-ready.

Yes, I'll get the DMP-1 in due time. I've talked to Peter about the product a few times over the last year or so.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Great! When I last spoke with Tim Marutani he seemed quite thrilled with its performance and sonics.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

That's deserved I believe. For me it was that, the Hugo TT or the Yggdrasil. I think the DDP-1 sounded better than both.

I'm also a bit curious on the DMP-1. It seems to be unavailable in most shops - at least in EU.

When I spoke to Peter he mentioned AudioAdvisor here in the US would be getting some DMP-1's in the next couple of weeks.

Great to hear. Hope the dealerships in Europe will get a batch too.

I would love to audition it.

When I spoke to Peter he mentioned AudioAdvisor here in the US would be getting some DMP-1's in the next couple of weeks.

I got to hear this unit last night at a friends home. It was hooked up to two DP1-m's driving Kef 201/2 speakers. Nice quick well defined bass and a dynamic midrange, all while providing a nice full soundstage. Music was feed from his Aurender N100H, all Wirewolrd cables..

The Truth Is Out There

I got to hear this unit last night at a friends home. It was hooked up to two DP1-m's driving Kef 201/2 speakers. Nice quick well defined bass and a dynamic midrange, all while providing a nice full soundstage. Music was feed from his Aurender N100H, all Wirewolrd cables..

Excellent. I look forward to getting one in here.

Edit: Oops, I thought you were talking about the media server :~)

I have one on the way, should arrive in time for the weekend so I can compare it to my Aries :)

I tell ya Chris if the media server performs as well as the DDP-1 and its amps, Audio Alchemy has a winner. Can't wait for your review of the server..

The Truth Is Out There