IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

5 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

I'm getting my new sd card today but cant find the instructions that were  posted somewhere on CA. Anybody here that can point me in the right direction (i.e., where is the video)?

Hi - I believe it's as complex as power off, pop out card noting orientation and pop in new. Power up and do any setup again as settings lost. I'm waiting for mine too 

36 minutes ago, m5sime said:

Hi - I believe it's as complex as power off, pop out card noting orientation and pop in new. Power up and do any setup again as settings lost. I'm waiting for mine too 

That's it. Just insert the new card carefully to make sure it's going into the slot. There's a video somewhere if that gives you comfort. Google it. 

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

On 06/05/2017 at 7:12 PM, rikirk said:

I received the SD card yesterday, powered down through GUI, disconnected all cables, swap cards, reconnected all cables, went back to GUI, but "No Sonicorbiter OS based music players found on your network" it's the only message I get and the microrendu does not power up. I reinstalled 2.3 and it's working fine. Any help, please?

I have the exact experience. The unit shows no sign of life with the 2.5 card in, boots normally on 2.3. I have tried this several times. The card seems to seat properly and it certainly clicks into place and stays in and it removes properly after pushing further in. Any other problem solving possible?

4 hours ago, m5sime said:

Just to be clear: you are supposed to shut it down from the web interface, and not buy pulling the plug. In other words, a proper shutdown.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

A small heads up to Roon users updating to 2.5.  The update requires a bit more than swapping cards, especially if you are using DSP in Roon.

In my set-up, The Rendu using DSP was deleted from my Roon server when I swapped cards, along with all of my DSP settings.  I had to re-measure speaker distances and balance settings to get things back the way they were.

Took about :30 minute to get right.  Not a disaster, but not the plug and play that's been suggested either.  Others likely had different/better experiences.

FWIW - I hear no audible benefit to 2.5 running Roon.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:29 PM, ismarketing said:

A small heads up to Roon users updating to 2.5.  The update requires a bit more than swapping cards, especially if you are using DSP in Roon.

I believe Roon sees it as a different device. Couldn't you have saved the DSP settings and reloaded them for the new device when you enabled it?

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

That's the point of my post. We had no instructions beyond, "power down and disconnect all the wires."  It would have been helpful if Sonore gave us more nuanced instructions.  Where and how would I find out how to save/restore DSP settings in Roon?

7 minutes ago, ismarketing said:

That's the point of my post. We had no instructions beyond, "power down and disconnect all the wires."  It would have been helpful if Sonore gave us more nuanced instructions.  Where and how would I find out how to save/restore DSP settings in Roon?

Yeah, I did the same. Forgot to take a screenshot of DSP settings in Roon so I basically had to redo most of it from memory. Luckily I had saved a DSP setting some time ago which gave me an easier start, but I'd made many small changes, especially to the PEQ after that.

It was quite unexpected to loose settings in Roon I must say, so a warning would have been good.

2 minutes ago, ogs said:

Yeah, I did the same. Forgot to take a screenshot of DSP settings in Roon so I basically had to redo most of it from memory. Luckily I had saved a DSP setting some time ago which gave me an easier start, but I'd made many small changes, especially to the PEQ after that.

It was quite unexpected to loose settings in Roon I must say, so a warning would have been good.

What are the main benefits of DSP in Roon for you guys? I haven't tried it myself yet. My new card hasn't arrived yet (UK)

Question on new 2.5 upgrade. Of course I didn't follow directions so now have to trouble shoot. I didn't power down microrendu as instructed but I did disconnect all cables. Installed new card, reinstalled cables but sonicorbitor doesn't see. I took out all cables, reinstalled the old card. This time I powered down, and followed all the steps. Same thing. So I reinstalled old card and everything works fine.  I did notice when I place new card in slot and plug in power, the light I usually see on the microrendu didn't turn on. It does turn on with old card.  Any suggestions to get new card working?  Thanks 

56 minutes ago, ismarketing said:

All this DSP stuff is pretty new to us on Roon. We didn't think about it and understand that it's a server side setting. You could have put the 2.3 card back in and just copy them.    

10 hours ago, lxgreen said:

Question on new 2.5 upgrade. Of course I didn't follow directions so now have to trouble shoot. I didn't power down microrendu as instructed but I did disconnect all cables. Installed new card, reinstalled cables but sonicorbitor doesn't see. I took out all cables, reinstalled the old card. This time I powered down, and followed all the steps. Same thing. So I reinstalled old card and everything works fine.  I did notice when I place new card in slot and plug in power, the light I usually see on the microrendu didn't turn on. It does turn on with old card.  Any suggestions to get new card working?  Thanks 

You can email me for support.

5 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

1 hour ago, ismarketing said:

All this DSP stuff is pretty new to us on Roon. We didn't think about it and understand that it's a server side setting. You could have put the 2.3 card back in and just copy them.    

Exactly. You can save the DSP config in the bottom right corner of the DSP screen.

system pics

I received my V2.5 Card from VortexBox in the UK on Monday - and tried to get it to work. With V2.5 my MR will not boot up at all. Put V2.3 back in and all is well.

Spoke with Martin at VortexBox and apparently they have seen the same problem with their demo unit (an early example like mine) and no matter which type of card they try V2.5 won't boot.

Jesus - any thoughts?

13 minutes ago, kblundy said:

I received my V2.5 Card from VortexBox in the UK on Monday - and tried to get it to work. With V2.5 my MR will not boot up at all. Put V2.3 back in and all is well.

Spoke with Martin at VortexBox and apparently they have seen the same problem with their demo unit (an early example like mine) and no matter which type of card they try V2.5 won't boot.

Jesus - any thoughts?

The error seems more inline with a bad card, but to soon to say with certainty. I have customer with a unit that doesn't boot and he is sending the unit for us to look at. We will implement the best fix once we know more. 

Other issues are a customer who tried it on a Sonicorbiter SE which it will not work on and a customer who missed the slot all together and needs to open the unit to retrieve the card:)

Thanks JR,

I received my 2.5 card a few days ago. Push, click and out with the old. Push, click and in with the new. Re-discover, re-name and reset settings in Roon and I am playing music. No drama, and it sounds great. Seems very detailed, dynamic and full sounding.

Again Thanks,

Bob

2 hours ago, bobflood said:

Thanks JR,

I received my 2.5 card a few days ago. Push, click and out with the old. Push, click and in with the new. Re-discover, re-name and reset settings in Roon and I am playing music. No drama, and it sounds great. Seems very detailed, dynamic and full sounding.

Again Thanks,

Bob

Reading between the lines a little here, are you suggesting 2.5 sounds better??

I know, I'm being a little mischievous here, just sowing the seed.....

(I have my 2.5 card, and should have time to try myself at the weekend)

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

My impression is that 2.5 sounds better. Even more detail and transparency, but not brighter. I think there is a new version of Roon RAAT on it, but I think the whole 2.5 is better.  It is now easier to hear the difference between 'Smooth, Linear Phase' and 'Precise, Minimum Phase' in Roon's SRC DSP for example.

18 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The error seems more inline with a bad card, but to soon to say with certainty. I have customer with a unit that doesn't boot and he is sending the unit for us to look at. We will implement the best fix once we know more. 

Other issues are a customer who tried it on a Sonicorbiter SE which it will not work on and a customer who missed the slot all together and needs to open the unit to retrieve the card:)

The card is readable in a card reader. I think VortexBox have been in contact with you about this with more details. Happy to do email discussion if that helps?