IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

1 hour ago, Vincent C said:

Has anyone been able to stream using SonicOrbiter and Roon with a Quad VA-One+, the neat tube integrated amp/DAC ? The company site is not very specific, other than "you can plug in a Mac or Windows computer", and that there is a Windows driver to download.

Being Linux based, I'm thinking the answer is no with SonicOrbiter?

Many thanks

Vincent

Are you running speakers or headphones? That looks like a nice unit.

2 hours ago, Vincent C said:

I’d like to focus on the topic, if you don’t mind.

I have numerous Dac's that have been fed by a microRendu with no issues, I also run the sMS-200 and sMS-200 Neo which runs a similar software, without any issues. Good luck!

14 hours ago, Vincent C said:

Has anyone been able to stream using SonicOrbiter and Roon with a Quad VA-One+, the neat tube integrated amp/DAC ? The company site is not very specific, other than "you can plug in a Mac or Windows computer", and that there is a Windows driver to download.

Being Linux based, I'm thinking the answer is no with SonicOrbiter?

Many thanks

Vincent

Yes you can use that USB device.

19 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@vortecjr Any idea why I can't get Roon to stream native DSD to an Ayre QB-9 Twenty? Perhaps there is no altset for this or the QB-9 DACs aren't included in this capability? 

Chris, did you get it working by updating?

On 3/30/2020 at 10:49 AM, jma2 said:

I'm using the oRendu (v2.8) with my QB-9 Twenty to stream native DSD via LMS without any issues Chris. I don't use Roon though and cannot try it out.

I’ve got an opticalRendu and Ayre QX-5. I don’t know when they’ll update the QX-5 to native DSD, so I too can take advantage of the sonicorbiter update. Do you hear a significant sound difference between DOP and native DSD?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

31 minutes ago, Ultrarunner said:

I’ve got an opticalRendu and Ayre QX-5. I don’t know when they’ll update the QX-5 to native DSD, so I too can take advantage of the sonicorbiter update. Do you hear a significant sound difference between DOP and native DSD?

There is no sound difference between DoP and native DSD.  The only reason to desire the possibility of using native DSD is because it allows for the playback of higher rates of DSD:

DSD 64 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 176.4 PCM

DSD 128 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 352.8 PCM

DSD 256 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 705.6 PCM

So we can see, fo folks who want to play higher rates of DSD like 256 and 512, being able to accept DSD natively is an advantage, otherwise, there is no compromise to using DoP. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, barrows said:

There is no sound difference between DoP and native DSD.  The only reason to desire the possibility of using native DSD is because it allows for the playback of higher rates of DSD:

DSD 64 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 176.4 PCM

DSD 128 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 352.8 PCM

DSD 256 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 705.6 PCM

So we can see, fo folks who want to play higher rates of DSD like 256 and 512, being able to accept DSD natively is an advantage, otherwise, there is no compromise to using DoP. 

Thanks very much for the explanation Barrows. Hopefully Ayre will offer an upgrade for the QX-5 similar to the QB-9. I’d like to try DSD 256 in Roon and then possibly HQ Player.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

23 hours ago, pas said:

I have numerous Dac's that have been fed by a microRendu with no issues, I also run the sMS-200 and sMS-200 Neo which runs a similar software, without any issues. Good luck!

I don’t think is that similar anymore. They appear to behind on all the apps and very likely behind on the Linux Kernel as well. 

4 minutes ago, Ultrarunner said:

Thanks very much for the explanation Barrows. Hopefully Ayre will offer an upgrade for the QX-5 similar to the QB-9. I’d like to try DSD 256 in Roon and then possibly HQ Player.

Please post the complete output of Apps / DAC Diagnostics for your DAC.

9 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Ayre has conformed that that have only "one" product (Ayre QB-9 Twenty) that supports raw or native DSD. We are updating our OS again to support the Ayre QB-9 Twenty. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks to Chris C and Ariel B for your support.  

I just tested it again with my Ayre QB-9 Twenty in combination with my oRendu (SonicOrbiter 2.8) using Squeezelite and LMS with DSD plugin. Playback of native DSD64 and DSD128 goes without any problem with correct display on the QB-9 (respectively 64 and 128).

Playback of DSD256 doesn't work in that setup for now (see below):

2020.04.02-09.10.png

15 hours ago, jma2 said:

I just tested it again with my Ayre QB-9 Twenty in combination with my oRendu (SonicOrbiter 2.8) using Squeezelite and LMS with DSD plugin. Playback of native DSD64 and DSD128 goes without any problem with correct display on the QB-9 (respectively 64 and 128).

Playback of DSD256 doesn't work in that setup for now (see below):

2020.04.02-09.10.png

It’s DSD via DoP for now and that means no DSD128. This will change when we update the Kernel and it will stream up to DSD128 native. 

8 hours ago, vortecjr said:

It’s DSD via DoP for now and that means no DSD128. This will change when we update the Kernel and it will stream up to DSD128 native. 

Dear Jesus,

Based on your message above, I am confused:

I don't doubt your statement at all but I try to understand:

I downloaded some free DSD tracks from 2L (The Hoffmann ensemble track in DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256), all with extension .dsf.

I have them on my NAS which is running LMS with the DSD plugin. When I playback these three tracks using Squeezelite on my oRendu, I get to see the 64/128 display on my QB-9 Twenty for the first two tracks, the third one not working, whereby the QB-9 Twenty is indicating the right format.

I also have some DoP tracks (in flac) of the same music, which in line with what barrows indicated some time ago:

> DSD 64 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 176.4 PCM

> DSD 128 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 352.8 PCM

> DSD 256 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 705.6 PCM

cause my DAC to display 176 and 352 respectively (the last track also not working).

So I am confused. Where is the raw .dsf->DoP packaging occur? In the LMS or in the oRendu? And why do I see a different display indication on the QB-9? Is it because the oRendu recognizes the raw DSD64, signals it as such to the QB-9, DoPs the raw DSD and sends the DoP to the QB-9, which effectively receives the same data but is "tricked" a different signalling of the data format? Would that be a correct assumption?

Thanks in advance for your response.

1 hour ago, jma2 said:

Dear Jesus,

Based on your message above, I am confused:

I don't doubt your statement at all but I try to understand:

I downloaded some free DSD tracks from 2L (The Hoffmann ensemble track in DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256), all with extension .dsf.

I have them on my NAS which is running LMS with the DSD plugin. When I playback these three tracks using Squeezelite on my oRendu, I get to see the 64/128 display on my QB-9 Twenty for the first two tracks, the third one not working, whereby the QB-9 Twenty is indicating the right format.

I also have some DoP tracks (in flac) of the same music, which in line with what barrows indicated some time ago:

> DSD 64 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 176.4 PCM

> DSD 128 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 352.8 PCM

> DSD 256 via DoP requires the DAC to accept 705.6 PCM

cause my DAC to display 176 and 352 respectively (the last track also not working).

So I am confused. Where is the raw .dsf->DoP packaging occur? In the LMS or in the oRendu? And why do I see a different display indication on the QB-9? Is it because the oRendu recognizes the raw DSD64, signals it as such to the QB-9, DoPs the raw DSD and sends the DoP to the QB-9, which effectively receives the same data but is "tricked" a different signalling of the data format? Would that be a correct assumption?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Are you streaming from LMS as the source, using a Rendu with the Squeezelite output protocol, and connected to your DAC via USB on the Rendu?

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Are you streaming from LMS as the source, using a Rendu with the Squeezelite output protocol, and connected to your DAC via USB on the Rendu?

Indeed, setup is: LMS (on NAS) as a source (containing all the music files), client is oRendu with Squeezelite (on SonicOrebiter 2.8) and connected via USB to Ayre QB-9 Twenty.

Jan

49 minutes ago, jma2 said:

Indeed, setup is: LMS (on NAS) as a source (containing all the music files), client is oRendu with Squeezelite (on SonicOrebiter 2.8) and connected via USB to Ayre QB-9 Twenty.

Jan

Stream DSD64 either way you want and then look in Apps / DAC Diagnostics. If the Momentary frequency is 176.4 it's DoP and if it's 88.2 it's native DSD. FYI you need to refresh the page to get the most current data. 

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Stream DSD64 either way you want and then look in Apps / DAC Diagnostics. If the Momentary frequency is 176.4 it's DoP and if it's 88.2 it's native DSD. FYI you need to refresh the page to get the most current data. 

Thanks Jesus! That corresponds indeed with the image I included in post 1073 of this thread.

As an additional feedback I can tell you that in my particular setup SO 2.8 is way more stable than SO 2.7. I hope it stays like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been running SO 2.8 since early February on my ultraRendu.  Rock solid these days.  I used to have to reboot, power off, etc. every few days or more often with 2.7.

I use Roon and HQPlayer apps only, occasionally switching if I need computer CPU for other things, and switching is now flawless.

Powering the ultraRendu with the recent Sonore LPS with Blue fuse & DC-4 sounds wonderful. Just upgraded to NuPrime Evolution DAC, and UR works fine with it (although max at DSD128 due to DoP from Mac/HQPlayer, which is ok because my Mac is only able to handle that rate with EC modulators anyway).